Advertisement

Geoff Johns, Matt Kindt to Write Martian Manhunter Backup in JLA

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Re: Geoff Johns, Matt Kindt to Write Martian Manhunter Backu

Postby habitual » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:32 am

The upside of this is that at least the god awful Captain Marvel backup will come to an end.

Hab

Advertisement

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:33 am

habitual wrote:The upside of this is that at least the god awful Captain Marvel backup will come to an end.

Hab

Different book, different backup.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 26 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:38 am

J'Onn is easily one of my top characters of all time, so I'm hopeful Geoff will pull some of his old Hawkman magic and fix my favorite martian from the useless lump he's been in Stormwatch.

The one panel we've seen of him in JL is worth exploring.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:45 am

They still make those comics you all liked when you were kids--they're called "reprints".

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:06 pm

Black Jumbo wrote:Man, you guys are lucky enough to get a writer like Matt Kindt jobbing for DC to pay his bills (because you don't buy Mind MGMT), and it's just bitch bitch bitch.

Look kids, comics!
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:39 pm

Black Jumbo wrote:Man, you guys are lucky enough to get a writer like Matt Kindt jobbing for DC to pay his bills (because you don't buy Mind MGMT), and it's just bitch bitch bitch.

First of all, I have not read Mind MGMT yet but I am in the market for new books to take the place of the DC books that I used to purchase. After the holidays I intend to begin reading Brubaker's Incognito but I will add Mind MGMT to my list. So thank you for the recommendation.

Next, if nobody bitched about anything than nothing would ever change. Let's say, for instance, that Matt Kindt wants to do a little research about the Martian Manhunter before he begins to write the character and maybe he decides to go on-line and find out what fans are saying about the way that the character is currently being portrayed. He sees that a good number of the Martian Manhunter's longtime fans are disappointed with his DCnU makeover, so perhaps he decides to add just enough of the old J'onn J'onzz to his interpretation to make the loyal fans happy as well as keeping the new fans interested. It's an optimistic outlook I know but hey, I thought forums like this were made to share your opinions.
ImageImageImage

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:30 am

More details on the Manhunter back-up here

"Martian Manhunter is the biggest secret, I think," Johns told Newsarama earlier this week. "He's the biggest secret, I think for the JLA as a team, and within the DC Universe. He has more ties to more things in the DC Universe than you could ever imagine, and those are going to be explored heavily within JLA and also within the back-up series he has.

"The reason that Martian Manhunter is in the back-up is because of the role he'll be playing," he added. "Just like Shazam will play an integral role to Justice League as that continues on, Martian Manhunter is central to Justice League of America and the bigger DC Universe."
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

GHERU
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby GHERU » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:41 am

Victorian Squid wrote:Man, you guys are lucky enough to get a writer like Matt Kindt jobbing for DC to pay his bills (because you don't buy Mind MGMT), and it's just bitch bitch bitch.

Indy hacks have no place in DC
/bass'd
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

GHERU
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby GHERU » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:42 am

Grayson wrote:
First of all, I have not read Mind MGMT yet but I am in the market for new books to take the place of the DC books that I used to purchase. After the holidays I intend to begin reading Brubaker's Incognito but I will add Mind MGMT to my list. So thank you for the recommendation.

Next, if nobody bitched about anything than nothing would ever change. Let's say, for instance, that Matt Kindt wants to do a little research about the Martian Manhunter before he begins to write the character and maybe he decides to go on-line and find out what fans are saying about the way that the character is currently being portrayed. He sees that a good number of the Martian Manhunter's longtime fans are disappointed with his DCnU makeover, so perhaps he decides to add just enough of the old J'onn J'onzz to his interpretation to make the loyal fans happy as well as keeping the new fans interested. It's an optimistic outlook I know but hey, I thought forums like this were made to share your opinions.

hows all that internet bitching done for the Nu52, Spidey marriage, Greedo shooting first, etc...?
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:56 am

I thought he was joking, of course I don't think Matt Kindt or anyone else for that matter should worry about any of that--I wouldn't even advise that he read any of it!

I don't think Neil Gaiman should have worried about it when he reimagined Black Orchid for DC either, just for one example. I don't think Grant Morrison should have worried about fans of the old Kid Eternity when he did the same for that character.

The independent gems being published right now by talented writers and artists like Matt Kindt and Ales Cot are consistently the hardest to find in comics shops, and that's a pathetic sign of how regressive the industry is already. Just be happy to have Kindt before DC drives him away screaming.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:19 pm

GHERU wrote:hows all that internet bitching done for the Nu52, Spidey marriage, Greedo shooting first, etc...?

It makes me feel better? :smt102 Well, except for the Greedo thing but that's because I'm not a nerd... :P

...besides we all know Han shot first dammit!

Victorian Squid wrote:I thought he was joking, of course I don't think Matt Kindt or anyone else for that matter should worry about any of that--I wouldn't even advise that he read any of it!

I don't think Neil Gaiman should have worried about it when he reimagined Black Orchid for DC either, just for one example. I don't think Grant Morrison should have worried about fans of the old Kid Eternity when he did the same for that character.

I would say that characters like Black Orchid and Kid Eternity didn't have established fanbases as large as the Martian Manhunter but that probably won't matter to you in the slightest. Instead, I will say that I have become more intrigued by these Manhunter backups than I was when they were originally announced. The problem with that is that I have no interest in the actual book that the backups will be located in, so I can't really justify buying an entire book just for 3 or 4 pages of story.

Victorian Squid wrote:The independent gems being published right now by talented writers and artists like Matt Kindt and Ales Cot are consistently the hardest to find in comics shops, and that's a pathetic sign of how regressive the industry is already. Just be happy to have Kindt before DC drives him away screaming.

This is absolutely true. After I said that I might start reading Mind MGMT, I tried to track down all of the single issues to catch up. I was able to find all the issues except for the first issue, so I am debating whether to buy them or just wait for the Hardcover. It seems like the first issue of a series like this might be the type of thing that I don't want to skip prior to reading the rest of the series.
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand