Advertisement

Beast Boy and Terra: A Match Made in Hell

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

BatWatch
underclassman

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Surprisingly Delicious

Beast Boy and Terra: A Match Made in Hell

Postby BatWatch » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:25 pm

Hey, this is an article from my site, BatWatch.net. Thought I would throw it out there and see what kind of response it gets.

If you would like to see this article with images, click the following link.

https://batwatch.squarespace.com/commentary/2013/1/21/beast-boy-and-terra-a-match-made-in-hell

For months now, The Ravagers has dragged on without any character development or really any significant development of any kind, but under the guidance of the series new writer Michael Alan Nelson, (former writer of Boom comic 28 Days Later) it appears the series might begin to move forward. With that in mind, I can't help but wonder if the team's token starry eyed duo might actually start to form a significant relationship. Currently, there is nothing going on between Beast Boy and Terra more than a curious familiarity and loyalty, but how long can this last before the flames of passion once more ignite?

If Beast Boy and Terra do enter into the throes of passion, it probably will not end well because these two characters have not had the happiest of histories. In celebration of their (most likely) doomed love, I thought it would be fun to do a quick review of the formation and destruction of their past relationships.

Young Love

Beast Boy (Gar) first met Terra (Tara) when he was a member of the New Teen Titans. After hearing her story, Beast Boy convinced the rest of the Titans to allow Terra to join the team. Terra, with her geokinetic powers, had been kidnapped and trained by terrorists, but she managed to escape their influence and was not eager to fight for the cause of good...or at least that is what she claimed. Beast Boy fell for Tara quick and hard, and he never saw the disaster that was looming just around the corner.

Deathstroke, (Slade Wilson) the Titans biggest enemy, attacked the New Teen Titans and managed to take almost all of them out with a nearly supernatural knowledge of their strengths, weaknesses, and civilians identities. To Beast Boy's incredulity, it was revealed that Terra had actually been a spy implanted in the Titans by Deathstroke, and she was not fighting by Deathstroke's side. Nightwing partnered with the new hero Jericho and confronted Deathstroke, and in the ensuing conflict, Jericho managed to use his mind control powers to possess Slade and make him fight Terra. Terra fought back, but she lost control of her powers and accidentally caused a building to fall on top of her dying right in front of Beast Boy's eyes.

After a brief time of grieving, Beast Boy went after Deathstroke who Gar believed to be guilty of manipulating and corrupting Terra. After an impressive display of skill where Beast Boy essentially stalemated Deathstroke, Gar wrangled a full confession out of him. Terra was not some girl who had been kidnapped by terrorists; she was actually the princess of a small Eastern European nation who had chosen the life of crime. In addition to being a traitor to Gar and the Titans, Terra was already a murderer and a lover of Slade Wilson before she ever met Gar. Understandably, this revelation caused Beast Boy a fair amount of anguish and distress, but he eventually healed from his emotional wounds.

The Train Wreck Continues

Since Terra's death, she has still managed to tug on Beast Boy's heart strings.

A couple of years after Terra's death, a new Terra appeared who had the same appearance and ability as the old Terra. She claimed to be a clone of the original Terra from an alternate future time line, but as if this was not already complicated enough, even this Terra had some secrets. Long story short, Terra was eventually revealed to be a clone of the original, but she was not from the future but only brainwashed to believe she was from the future. In truth, much of her true history was never uncovered.

Beast Boy and this version of Terra never formed a real dating relationship, but they did work together on many occasions. One of those occasions was when the Teen Titans and the rest of the world's heroes battled Black Adam. In the conflict, Black Adam killed Terra which caused Beast Boy to have to relive her death once more.

Even after this, Terra did not stay out of Beast Boy's mind. Atlee, a girl with no relation to Tara but similar powers, took up the mantle of Terra serving as a reminder of past pains. Even worse, the original Terra resurrected during Blackest Night. Due to the support of the psychic Lilith Clay, Terra managed to hide her dead appearance and flirt with Beast Boy claiming she had returned for him after having faked her death and living in hiding for years, but when Lilith's manipulations were thwarted by Gar's fellow Titans, Beast Boy saw Black Lantern Terra for the rotting corpse she truly was and managed to escape her clutches. Terra then attacked the Outsiders, but the heroine Halo turned Terra into stone.

Up to Date

Since the reboot, both Beast Boy and Terra have been rather mysterious figures and their relationship is tenuous and difficult to quantify. Due to the manipulations of the generically evil organization N.O.W.H.E.R.E., they have lost their memories of their lives before a few months ago, and it has been implied that they had no powers before N.O.W.H.E.R.E. activated their metagenes.

What is clear is that the two are loyal to one another. Terra often speaks harshly towards Beast Boy, but she always has his back. Despite the series short run thus far, these two characters have had several mini-adventures away from the pack, and it seems pretty clear that they have romantic feelings for one another. With Beast Boy's more timid nature and Terra's aggressive brutality, they have some potential for real chemistry. Though I would not hold my breath, perhaps we might just see these two get a happily ever after in the DCNU.
For more news, reviews, and commentary for Batman and the entire Bat Family, check out BatWatch.net
http://www.BatWatch.net

Advertisement

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 447 posts
Formerly: AMS

Re: Beast Boy and Terra: A Match Made in Hell

Postby Rockman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:24 pm

What did the word now do to you?

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:33 pm

Good article. . I've always circled around the edge of this era of Teen Titans so I never got the full detail of their relationship.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 67 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:00 pm

Judas contract is such a legendary story. It amazes me dc has let various writers try to follow up on what remains a great story

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 138 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:52 pm

Hey! Gratuitously pimping your blog is my gig around here. :smt013 :-D

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

BatWatch
underclassman

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Surprisingly Delicious

Postby BatWatch » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:50 pm

bkthomson wrote:Good article. . I've always circled around the edge of this era of Teen Titans so I never got the full detail of their relationship.

Many thanks. I’m not a Teen Titans expert myself, but I thought it was interesting that DC revived this relationship that has basically been dead over twenty years…perhaps nearing thirty now.

holtom2000 wrote:Judas contract is such a legendary story. It amazes me dc has let various writers try to follow up on what remains a great story

You know, I’m not sure I’ve ever read it though I’ve done so much reading of character histories that reference it that I feel like I know it by heart. It was definitely one of if not the most famous Teen Titans story. I believe I have it in my to read pile at BAM.

Do you know it appears like they might rehash that story? Deathstroke, Teen Titans, and The Ravagers have a cross over coming up. I can’t say I am too excited.

http://batwatch.net/news/2012/12/26/tee ... ract-redux

The Nacireman wrote:Hey! Gratuitously pimping your blog is my gig around here. :smt013 :-D

If you show me yours, I’ll let you see mine. :groucho:
For more news, reviews, and commentary for Batman and the entire Bat Family, check out BatWatch.net
http://www.BatWatch.net

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand