Advertisement

Indestructible Hulk, whaddya think?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Indestructible Hulk, whaddya think?

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:33 am

I love the way that Waid is structuring this book. Because the battles are done-in-one, each issue can stand alone and allow readers to jump in at any point. But because the subplots carry over from issue to issue, it feels as though Waid is building a bigger, and potentially complex, story. This was the way comics used to be written. And I hope that Waid continues with this approach for the duration of his run. I also love the choice of villain in issue three, Quintronic Man. I hope that this means Waid will be resurrecting other elements from Len Wein's Hulk run.

The weakest part of the book, honestly, is Yu's art. He draws an excellent Hulk, but I don't find him to be a great storyteller. For me, his work doesn't flow from panel to panel.

Advertisement

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 196 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Re: Indestructible Hulk, whaddya think?

Postby nietoperz » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:06 am

I love it so far, though I agree that Yu's art doesn't necessarily fit. I'm looking forward to Walt Simonson's arc very much, I have to say.

troysshr
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 436 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby troysshr » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:13 am

Agreed on all points! I am loving the book as well and can't wait for the Simonson issues!
ImageImageImage

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:46 am

After the Avengers movie, I really wanted to read an accesdible Hulk run. My skepticism about anything PAD that's not Young Justice kept me from reading his run, so I really had no options. When Waid's run started, I got exactly what I wanted! After his Hulk and Daredevil, I'm pretty certain I'll be following Waid wherever he goes next!

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 121 posts

Postby Lord Ice » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:06 am

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:After the Avengers movie, I really wanted to read an accesdible Hulk run. My skepticism about anything PAD that's not Young Justice kept me from reading his run, so I really had no options. When Waid's run started, I got exactly what I wanted! After his Hulk and Daredevil, I'm pretty certain I'll be following Waid wherever he goes next!

Can't wait to see what all he has planned for Green Hornet.

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 17 posts

Postby UnionJack » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:12 am

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:After his Hulk and Daredevil, I'm pretty certain I'll be following Waid wherever he goes next!

Well, he's writing a new Green Hornet series for Dynamite. The current GH series is really good & Dynamite have a great line-up of books. My favourite publisher.
I agree on Yu's art. Not keen & didn't like his Avengers. Think he would be better suited to non-supers, horror especially.

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 17 posts

Postby UnionJack » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:13 am

Lord Ice wrote:

Can't wait to see what all he has planned for Green Hornet.

You got that post in milliseconds before me.....

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:13 am

Wow, I guess I am the only one who is as of so far unimpressed. These are only the first issues setting up the new status quo, so I'll withold judgemnet until the first major arc starts.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 171 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:36 am

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:After the Avengers movie, I really wanted to read an accesdible Hulk run. My skepticism about anything PAD that's not Young Justice kept me from reading his run, so I really had no options. When Waid's run started, I got exactly what I wanted! After his Hulk and Daredevil, I'm pretty certain I'll be following Waid wherever he goes next!

Dude...read PAD's Hulk. Seriously.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 388 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:40 am

I want to love it but I find I only like it.

I like that Banner is more of the star than Hulk is but I'm not crazy about them upping his brain power (and ego). Not that he always has to be a milquetoast but imo he just comes on too strong. And where the hell did all the Banner-worshipping come from? From the attitudes of the applicants, it's apparent that there are many people that have loved and respected Banner's genius for quite a while. So where were they between 1961 and today when he needed their help?

Three issues in and I still have no idea what "Hulk" we have. Is he Banner, is he "Hulk Smash" or is he just pure animal? He only grunts, growls & smashes, yet he saves Stark? He de-Hulks so fast (and soon). In #1, his strength (i.e. anger) was "incalculable!" yet he de-Hulked right after an explosion that should have pissed him off even more. Add to Banner saying in #2 that "he" could eat a mountain" and then in #3 he instantly Hulk-ed up to smash the robot (and I'm guessing he just as instantly de-Hulked so as not to destroy SHIELD HQ). Where is the Banner/Hulk conflict?

I do love the villains so far (Mad Thinker, Quintronic Man & Iron Man) but I can do without Hill. The new supporting cast could be a nice addition (and I expect a big storyline (and or powers) for Jessup (why else would he be from Manchester, Alabama? :lol: )

Yu? He's the worst part of the book imo.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 349 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:55 am

i love it and yu's art.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 323 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:03 pm

I could care less about it. I read the first three issues and was bored by them. Love the concept of banner working for shield and all that and I feel like the idea has potential but the execution is not working for me. I find this happens with mark waid comics. The art is shit too.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 226 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:24 pm

I like it.

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:39 pm

Amoebas wrote:I want to love it but I find I only like it.

I like that Banner is more of the star than Hulk is but I'm not crazy about them upping his brain power (and ego). Not that he always has to be a milquetoast but imo he just comes on too strong. And where the hell did all the Banner-worshipping come from? From the attitudes of the applicants, it's apparent that there are many people that have loved and respected Banner's genius for quite a while. So where were they between 1961 and today when he needed their help?

Three issues in and I still have no idea what "Hulk" we have. Is he Banner, is he "Hulk Smash" or is he just pure animal? He only grunts, growls & smashes, yet he saves Stark? He de-Hulks so fast (and soon). In #1, his strength (i.e. anger) was "incalculable!" yet he de-Hulked right after an explosion that should have pissed him off even more. Add to Banner saying in #2 that "he" could eat a mountain" and then in #3 he instantly Hulk-ed up to smash the robot (and I'm guessing he just as instantly de-Hulked so as not to destroy SHIELD HQ). Where is the Banner/Hulk conflict?

I do love the villains so far (Mad Thinker, Quintronic Man & Iron Man) but I can do without Hill. The new supporting cast could be a nice addition (and I expect a big storyline (and or powers) for Jessup (why else would he be from Manchester, Alabama? :lol: )

Yu? He's the worst part of the book imo.

My thoughts exactly. It's like you read my mind.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 349 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:12 pm

Have you read his Incredibles? Honestly there were a good couple months where it was my favorite superhero comic.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand