Advertisement

DC Shocker: I, Vampire Cancelled

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Re: DC Shocker: I, Vampire Cancelled

Postby chap22 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:54 pm

BatWatch wrote:
That's the second time of recent I've heard somebody say that comic books lose readers every month, but that can't be true, can it? Wouldn't the industry have died completely?

pull comparative monthly sales number and look at near about any book. a first issue gets a whole bunch of readers, then you shed readers like mad for a few months until you reach a sort of plateau/floor, at which point you'll still probably lose a few readers each month, but it's a much slower regression. you'll then temporarily boost it back up with new creative teams or event tie-ins, after the newness of which wears off, you'll start dropping back to the plateau again.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Advertisement

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 124 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:02 pm

BatWatch wrote:
That's the second time of recent I've heard somebody say that comic books lose readers every month, but that can't be true, can it? Wouldn't the industry have died completely?

Sadly it's true. That's why once upon a time comics in America were sold by the millions and now only by the thousands. There are less readers now...

nattygreene
Whale Castrato

Liked in: 0 post

Postby nattygreene » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:38 am

Arion wrote:
Sadly it's true. That's why once upon a time comics in America were sold by the millions and now only by the thousands. There are less readers now...

I don't think those numbers reflect only loss of readers; we lost a lot of comic shops nationwide in the last recession. Those numbers also reflect shops buying issues for back inventory and these days you just don't have the crazy speculation you did in the 90's. If anything, the older numbers were being skewed higher by speculative purchases. Since Direct Marketing became the defacto distribution model and shops are shuttering their doors, today's numbers are probably a more accurate account of readership then those of the past.

The banner characters are not going anywhere. Diversification of mediums (film, tv, games) will assure they stay in the collective minds of future generations. The strong numbers being put up by publishers other than the big two reflect an appetite for new content/concepts.

Still $4-$5 for one 22 page comic is a hard pill to swallow for new consumers. Growth is going to be mainly focused in cheaper formats like digital and trades.

BatWatch
underclassman

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Surprisingly Delicious

Postby BatWatch » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:59 pm

chap22 wrote:pull comparative monthly sales number and look at near about any book. a first issue gets a whole bunch of readers, then you shed readers like mad for a few months until you reach a sort of plateau/floor, at which point you'll still probably lose a few readers each month, but it's a much slower regression. you'll then temporarily boost it back up with new creative teams or event tie-ins, after the newness of which wears off, you'll start dropping back to the plateau again.

Hmmm. Okay, I see what you are saying. I knew that you would lose readers after a book premiere; that only makes sense, but you are saying comics lose readers almost every time there is not a crossover? I find that a little unlikely, but I’ll do some homework on it.

Arion wrote:

Does anybody know of a comparative analysis between the comic book market degeneration and the regular book market?

nattygreene wrote:I don't think those numbers reflect only loss of readers; we lost a lot of comic shops nationwide in the last recession. Those numbers also reflect shops buying issues for back inventory and these days you just don't have the crazy speculation you did in the 90's. If anything, the older numbers were being skewed higher by speculative purchases. Since Direct Marketing became the defacto distribution model and shops are shuttering their doors, today's numbers are probably a more accurate account of readership then those of the past.

The banner characters are not going anywhere. Diversification of mediums (film, tv, games) will assure they stay in the collective minds of future generations. The strong numbers being put up by publishers other than the big two reflect an appetite for new content/concepts.

Still $4-$5 for one 22 page comic is a hard pill to swallow for new consumers. Growth is going to be mainly focused in cheaper formats like digital and trades.

Who pays four bucks for 22 pages?
For more news, reviews, and commentary for Batman and the entire Bat Family, check out BatWatch.net
http://www.BatWatch.net

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:57 pm

nattygreene wrote:I don't think those numbers reflect only loss of readers; we lost a lot of comic shops nationwide in the last recession. Those numbers also reflect shops buying issues for back inventory and these days you just don't have the crazy speculation you did in the 90's. If anything, the older numbers were being skewed higher by speculative purchases. Since Direct Marketing became the defacto distribution model and shops are shuttering their doors, today's numbers are probably a more accurate account of readership then those of the past.

I was thinking more along the lines of how many comics DC or Marvel used to sell in the the 60s, the 70s, the 80s versus now. Obviously there are less readers now, and it's not like in the 90s readership increased, as you say, big sales were mostly a direct result of speculation.

Laugh if you want, but I still think 2.99 is expensive. Which is way I pay 1.79 for regular comics in DCBS, and 2.39 when they are 3.99. If not for discounts I would have stopped buying new comics a long time ago.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 214 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:55 am

What's interesting is that there was going to be an I, Vampire crossover in FLash before the book was canceled.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/27/hawkman-cancelled-and-no-i-vampire-crossover-with-the-flash/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Maybe DC should have done something like this a little sooner. Or maybe it should have planned to have x-overs in the more established pre-N52 books with the characters from the new books early on.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:52 pm

BatWatch wrote:
Hmmm. Okay, I see what you are saying. I knew that you would lose readers after a book premiere; that only makes sense, but you are saying comics lose readers almost every time there is not a crossover? I find that a little unlikely, but I’ll do some homework on it.

Does anybody know of a comparative analysis between the comic book market degeneration and the regular book market?

Who pays four bucks for 22 pages?

Everyone. Except, of course, those who use DCBS.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 553 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:39 pm

$3.99 is usually for the larger 48 page DC issues, isn't it ?
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:10 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:$3.99 is usually for the larger 48 page DC issues, isn't it ?

Oh sure... in 1999.
In 2013 half of Marvel comics (22 or 20 pages) cost 3.99, a lot of DC titles cost 3.99, all of IDW, Avatar and Dynamite titles cost 3.99.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand