Advertisement

Giffen already leaving Legion?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 2 posts

Re: Giffen already leaving Legion?

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:06 pm

What about the 70s when the Legion was becoming hot as fuck and went from being a back-up feature to main story, and eventually pushing Superboy right out of his own book ?
Last edited by IvCNuB4 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Advertisement

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 1 post
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:17 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:What about the 70s when the Legion was hot as fuck and pushed Superboy right out of the main feature in his own book ?

DC never tried to push the Legion like Marvel did the X-Men. Marvel did the whole thing early on with X-Men t-shirts, posters, the putting them in a few eps of Spider-Man & His Amazing friends, (in addition to Iceman), the Wolverine Secret Wars action figures. DC never did that with Legion (and they barely pushed New Teen Titans)

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:25 pm

How can you say DC never pushed the Legion ? I just explained that they did just that.
And now you're saying that DC never pushed the Teen Titans ? Were you in a sensory deprivation pod until the 90s ? :lol:

And from the start the X-Men weren't ever really a high selling title which resulted in their cancellation back in the late 60s. It wasn't until the Len Wein 1975 relaunch that they became popular and finally "exploded" when Claremont took over.
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:25 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
DC never tried to push the Legion like Marvel did the X-Men. Marvel did the whole thing early on with X-Men t-shirts, posters, the putting them in a few eps of Spider-Man & His Amazing friends, (in addition to Iceman), the Wolverine Secret Wars action figures. DC never did that with Legion (and they barely pushed New Teen Titans)

That was a rebooted X-men after the series had been canceled.

Hab

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:33 pm

The Legion has appeared in "Superman: The Animated" series, JLU, and their own show.

Also:
Various Legionnaires and associated villains have been issued in toy format:
-Action figures, beginning with the Super Powers Collection (1986), and continuing through DC Direct (1999–present) and DC Universe: Justice League Unlimited Fan Collection (2009). Mattel's DC Universe Classics line will offer a Legion of Super-Heroes Twelve-Pack in August 2011.
-McDonald's Happy Meal figures (set of 8, based on characters from the animated series, 2007).
-HeroClix, with the characters representing a cross-section of continuity from the Silver Age to today.
Trading cards representing various continuities and published by various companies (1966–1996).
-

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:13 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:How can you say DC never pushed the Legion ? I just explained that they did just that.
And now you're saying that DC never pushed the Teen Titans ? Were you in a sensory deprivation pod until the 90s ? :lol:

I said they barely pushed New Teen Titans. There was like a Cyborg action figure and a proposed animated series that never got off the ground. But that was about it. No attempt to push it out more into the public eye.

And from the start the X-Men weren't ever really a high selling title which resulted in their cancellation back in the late 60s. It wasn't until the Len Wein 1975 relaunch that they became popular and finally "exploded" when Claremont took over.

I meant in the 80's when X-Men exploded. But even in the 60's the X-Men has their own t-shirt for crying out loud.

And no, DC never really tried to push Legion back in the 70's or 80's. There weren't any Legion action figures or coloring books or t-shirts or whatnot. DC never tried to establish Legion as franchises on the way Marvel did with X-Men.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:23 pm

I'm pretty sure that most of the New Teen Titans made appearances on Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers show in '84.

DC couldn't have done anything more to push that franchise.

Hab

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:32 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Legion has appeared in "Superman: The Animated" series, JLU, and their own show.

Also:

There was a Tyr action figure in the last Super-Powers collection, but that was about it in the 80's. That's the closest the Legion ever got to having any mainstream attention when the title was still selling near the top of the sales charts.

I grant you the Superman & the Legion animated series, but that was so badly done it only lasted a couple of seasons. I don't even think I saw a single action figure related to the show at Walmart or anywhere.

- Sons of the Desert

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:40 pm

habitual wrote:I'm pretty sure that most of the New Teen Titans made appearances on Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers show in '84.

DC couldn't have done anything more to push that franchise.

Hab

Outside of Robin and Cyborg, I don't think any other Titans showed up in the 85 show.

Oh, I'm sure DC could have pushed it if they tried. They could have worked with their licensers a little to push Titans a little more and gotten come coloring books and whatnot out. DC has never been too active in that category historically before the 90's beyond Superman and Batman.

- Sons of the Desert

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:14 pm

-

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:46 pm

And that's about it when it comes to pimping the Legion in the 70's, except for a S/LSH paperback that reprinted some of the a few Legion stories (sadly, none of the truly great ones) in b&w.

- Sons of the Desert

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:55 pm

Also, you know the big problem with 7-11 cups? You couldn't even get 'em in the ATL, since there aren't any 7-11's down here.

- Sons of the Desert

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:16 am

Juan Cena wrote:
Hey, I've seen glimmers of hope every so often. There was the Timber Wolf/Sun Emperor fight where Brin countered Sun Emperor's "animal" taunts with "I'm human!" (Then DC ships him off to Legion Lost and lets DeFalco f**k him over with that s**tty retcon origin... :smt013 )

What have I gotten for the most part? Watching the faded glories of a once-great super-team being told by a writer whose best days were thirty years ago.

So you keep disappointing yourself with the new stuff for what reason?

You should consider moving on to something new.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:47 am

Keb wrote:So you keep disappointing yourself with the new stuff for what reason?

You should consider moving on to something new.

This is the funniest post of the day, possibly the year.

Hab

Arion
Twenty-Something

Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:24 pm

Juan Cena wrote:Also, you know the big problem with 7-11 cups? You couldn't even get 'em in the ATL, since there aren't any 7-11's down here.

What are you supposed to do with those cups once you have them?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand