Advertisement

Geoff Johns On Hawkman' In 'Justice League Of America'

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 233 posts

Postby LOLtron » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:39 pm

Johns discusses Hawkman and his role in the new JLA title

Source: Newsarama

Having already written Hawkman in both the previous Hawkman title and in JSA, Geoff Johns discusses his approach for the New52 Hawkman in the upcoming title Justice League of America

"This Hawkman's a different Hawkman than the one I wrote in Justice Society of America, who was a little more regal, as the reincarnated warrior," he said. "But this is an extra-terrestrial from Thanagar."

Hawkman uses the name "Carter Hall" currently, but he's actually an alien from the planet Thanagar.  Katar Hol was born to a race of Thanagarian warriors, although he was a man of peace. After a powerful enemy of Thanager engineered a plague that caused them to lose all their wings, the war-minded Thanagarian emperor, Corsar, began mining Nth Metal to make armor and weapons. When the Nth Metal came into contact with Katar Hol, it bonded to him and formed his Hawkman uniform organically, restoring his wings. 

Upcoming Hawkman writer Tom DeFalco adds "When I think of Hawkman, I see a warrior who was betrayed by the world he loved and routinely put himself at risk to protect. After being exiled on Earth, Katar Hol was forced to adopt the identity of Carter Hall and is now at war with himself and those who threaten his adopted planet. Carter yearns for a simple life, but Katar revels in the power that his Nth Metal gives him. Carter seeks knowledge, but Katar is hunter in search of prey."

Johns also promises we'll learn about Hawkman pretty quickly in the new JLA series.

"This Hawkman... you'll know clearly where Hawkman's coming from — why he's here, what he's doing, and a bit of a mystery about him in issue #1," Johns said. "Then in issue #2, you'll see him interact with the team in a way that is extremely different than how we've ever seen Hawkman interact with a team before."

"Hawkman isn't much of a team player, and he keeps a bit of mystery between himself and the rest of the team members. He just shows up, beats someone up, then disappears and no one knows where he goes," Johns added.

Justice League of America #1 by Geoff Johns and David Finch will be on sale February 20.

Written or Contributed by IvCNuB4

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 298 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Re: Geoff Johns On Hawkman' In 'Justice League Of America'

Postby Herald » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:57 pm

LOLtron wrote:"Hawkman isn't much of a team player, and he keeps a bit of mystery between himself and the rest of the team members. He just shows up, beats someone up, then disappears and no one knows where he goes," Johns added.

So he's Bat-hawk now.
*facepalm*

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 316 posts

Postby Draco x » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:15 pm

Will this make everyone forget about the Rob-Liefeld Hawkman by chance?

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 119 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:02 pm

draco x wrote:Will this make everyone forget about the Rob-Liefeld Hawkman by chance?

I never read that, so...

done.

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 376 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:10 pm

Glad to see Johns will get to write the character again but I like my Hawkmen reincarnated - not extraterrestrial.
And DeFalco? Bleech.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 138 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:28 pm

I'll just go sit in the corner and silently weep at the loss of the amazing Hawkman Johns gave us in JSA. *sigh*

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 121 posts

Postby Lord Ice » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:29 pm

Maybe instead of pissing off one group of fans with going either Carter or Katar, they should just piss off all of them by creating an entirely new Hawkman. :-D

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 182 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:19 pm

The failure that is NuDCU continues.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:16 pm

Dumb character still dumb.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 182 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:22 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Dumb character still dumb.

Usually I'd say yes but the Geoff Johns version from a few years back was AWESOME. Geoff Johns used to be a fantastic writer but he's lost a lot of what, at least I think, we used to love about him.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:28 pm

avengingtitan wrote:Usually I'd say yes but the Geoff Johns version from a few years back was AWESOME. Geoff Johns used to be a fantastic writer but he's lost a lot of what, at least I think, we used to love about him.

They were readable, I got the whole run and also his Teen Titans run for less than $5. They were okay disposable reading for that price.

I haven't read much else except some of the Green Lantern stuff which was either overrated or just plain lousy. I haven't read the new Aquaman stuff or anything, one issue of Justice League (bought to re-sell) was enough for me.

So, you're probably right but really none of it made me a fan of his writing, which IMO spans the high and low ends of a range of mediocre superhero comics.

Maybe you'll like the new stuff?

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 128 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:43 pm

Can't decide which is worse for a book: being canceled or having Tom DeFalco brought on as writer.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 298 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:49 pm

Juan Cena wrote:Can't decide which is worse for a book: being canceled or having Tom DeFalco brought on as writer.

As Old Yeller showed us, it's more merciful to put the rabid dog out of its misery than let it live in suffering.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:50 am

Herald wrote:
As Old Yeller showed us, it's more merciful to put the rabid dog out of its misery than let it live in suffering.

Can't hear you over the sound of his phenomenal Spider-Girl.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 128 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:59 pm

Chesscub wrote:
Can't hear you over the sound of his phenomenal Spider-Girl.

That's only a whisper compared to how he totally f**ked over Fantastic Four.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand