Advertisement

They had me at "Hyperion" (Avengers #4 Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 269 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Re: They had me at "Hyperion" (Avengers #4 Spoilers)

Postby GOSD » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:55 am

I loved it as well, ESF.

Hyperion (to me anyway) has always been portrayed as Marvel's Superman but dumber. It's nice to finally get inside his head and see that there's actually something in there.

Advertisement

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:46 pm

I thought this issue was pretty tight. This unique spin on Superman's origin was great, but I enjoyed how the storyline from the previous issue didn't just disappear to accommodate the origin of a new character. I hope we see more of this in the upcoming Smasher and Captain Universe issues.

Anyone else bothered by Adam Kubert's pencils? They were kind of Billy-Tan-looking, and that's not good for anyone.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 472 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:06 am

What I don't get is how Thor over his years has been down to the deepest pits of fiery hell and has practically walked on suns.

Yet he's the only to complain about how hot the Savage Land is. :lol:

ElijahSnowFan wrote:For how I view books with very large casts, this is the way to go. You have a narrative, a theme. You basically have a narrator telling you the story, with the conversations between characters serving to bridge the gaps in the narrative. When you have characters as much as 50 years old, that's absolutely the best way to go -- we've seen Thor and Hawkeye and Black Widow and Carol Danvers for years and years and years.

At this point in the history of these characters, having them offer narrative is somewhat painful. Let them do things. It's why these are comic books.

As a comic fan for 30+ years, I agree with this. But as just a pure comic fan I can't because you omit the new reader. They need to know the (old or new) characters narratives (even if it makes for some clunky writing). As Shooter used to say, every comic book is somebodies first.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:06 am

What I don't get is how Thor over his years has been down to the deepest pits of fiery hell and has practically walked on suns.

ElijahSnowFan wrote:For how I view books with very large casts, this is the way to go. You have a narrative, a theme. You basically have a narrator telling you the story, with the conversations between characters serving to bridge the gaps in the narrative. When you have characters as much as 50 years old, that's absolutely the best way to go -- we've seen Thor and Hawkeye and Black Widow and Carol Danvers for years and years and years.

At this point in the history of these characters, having them offer narrative is somewhat painful. Let them do things. It's why these are comic books.

As a comic fan for 30+ years, I agree with this. But as just a pure comic fan I can't because you omit the new reader. They need to know the (old or new) characters narratives (even if it makes for some clunky writing). As Shooter used to say, every comic book is somebodies first.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 64 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:10 pm

Amoebas wrote:What I don't get is how Thor over his years has been down to the deepest pits of fiery hell and has practically walked on suns.

Excellent point, kind sir! You are correct: I definitely was not being "new reader friendly" in my earlier post...I should try to be a little more cognizant of that in the future.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 654 posts
Title: *NEW*
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:23 pm

Amoebas wrote:What I don't get is how Thor over his years has been down to the deepest pits of fiery hell and has practically walked on suns.

It's not the heat, it's the humidity

Agent Panic
crash test dummy

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Stranger Danger

Postby Agent Panic » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:25 pm

I like this interpretation of Hyperion and it was a decent issue.

I still miss Supreme Power, though.
Do you know what the most frightening thing in the world is?
It's fear.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 301 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:15 am

Has he been mind controlled yet? :P

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:24 am

Lord Simian wrote:Has he been mind controlled yet? :P

:lol: Brer Hawkeye rules!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:09 am

Back when Shooter said that, there were actually new readers to consider...

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 363 posts

Postby GHERU » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:49 am

one halfway decent issue isn't going to put this back on my pull list
just two more to go from DCBS and I'm done
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:27 pm

I like this new version of Hyperion. The only problem I have is with the origin. The way things were written it seems like he comes from a universe in which the Squadron Supreme's takeover of Earth was successful. The thing is, The entire point of the 80s Squadron Supreme series in which they took over their Earth was that it was inherently a bad idea. Having an Earth in which it actually worked kind of undercuts the message of Mark Gruenwald's classic series. Being a big fan of that series, I'm pretty sure I don't like that idea.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Stephen Day wrote:I like this new version of Hyperion. The only problem I have is with the origin. The way things were written it seems like he comes from a universe in which the Squadron Supreme's takeover of Earth was successful. The thing is, The entire point of the 80s Squadron Supreme series in which they took over their Earth was that it was inherently a bad idea. Having an Earth in which it actually worked kind of undercuts the message of Mark Gruenwald's classic series. Being a big fan of that series, I'm pretty sure I don't like that idea.

Didn't put that together myself but damn if you're not spot on. Gruenwald's mini is one of the best ever.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:01 pm

Didn't What If prove that it's a multiverse full of potential outcomes? Don't get so hung up on continuity it becomes unhealthy. And the comics from the 1980s--would Mark Gruenwald have been so overly concerned with being in lock-step with the comics that came 30 years before him?

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:05 pm

Amoebas wrote:Didn't put that together myself but damn if you're not spot on. Gruenwald's mini is one of the best ever.

Agreed, I'll never forget the panel in issue #12 with all of the covered bodies. It seemed like such a waste for all of them to die over a concept that should never have been tried. That one panel was so powerful. It seemed like then entire point of series was summed up in just one drawing.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand