Advertisement

Review: Batman/Judge Dredd Collection

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby LOLtron » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:02 pm

Cover
Batman and Judge Dredd team up in this book to fight crime and evildoers. There is no hiding from them, not in Gotham, not in Mega-City One. The Main Man Lobo also gets to dance the crossover tango with Mega-City One's favorite street Judge.

DC Comics and 2000AD presents us with this fantastic collection where heroes and villain cross Universes and star in these five stories

This book collects the following stories Batman/Judge Dredd: Judgment on Gotham, Vendetta in Gotham, The Ultimate Riddle and Die Laughing. It also collects Lobo/Judge Dredd: Psycho Bikers vs. The Mutants from Hell.

How is it?

If, like me, you never read any of these crossover stories before it is hard to imagine that a brutal judge, juri and executioner character like Judge Dredd and the vigilante, system trusting, never killing, Batman would ever make for good, fun entertainment together. But in all honesty they do. In fact, not only that, but most of the guest villains also fit in very well.

Alan Grant and John Wagner are in charge of the writing on all the stories. They do a really good job at it. They create guiding line that connects all the Batman/Dredd stories. Its presence serves only as a connection between the stories but its thin enough to be troublesome or annoying.

That's 10 years for hitting a judge!

In Judgment on Gotham, Gotham gets a visit from Judge Death. Batman encounters Judges Dredd and Anderson for the first time. Batman visits Mega-City and there finds Mean Machine and gets a taste for the justice system. For the first time Batman is capture and unmasked, but of course this being Mega-city One no harm was done in the DC Universe.

That's 2 months for stating the obvious! 
Dark Judge Joker

Vendetta in Gotham brings Dredd back to Gotham to pick a fight with Batman. Dredd has an ulterior motive that brings something very interesting to the story.

Rumble
The Riddler does an appearance in The Ultimate Riddle. This one probably is the weakest story of this collection. Not that it isn't entertaining, but its little more than an arena setting with Dredd and Batman.

Die Laughing starts the clown of crime himself. The Joker manages to escape to Mega-City One were he joins the Dark Judges. Together they terrorize what passes for hippies there. Its up to Dredd and Batman to try to save the day.

Lobo also gets a chance to meet Judge Dredd and Mega-City One's Undercity in Psycho Bikers vs. The Mutants from Hell. This is a straight up macho action story, much like the 80's Schwarzenegger movies.

The art is consistently good. Vendetta in Gotham presents a different art style than the rest of the stories, but maintains a high level of quality. There are many artists involved in this book (over 12), but the overhaul result is oddly consistent.

Verdict?

This is a very good collection. Two great icons of two charismatic publishers come together to create four very entertaining stories. The action is what's to be expected. Dredd wasn't dimmed down to Batman's level and Batman wasn't ramped up to Dredd's level. The retain their most defining traits and the stories are built upon that.

I enjoyed this very much. Highly recommend to anyone that either already loves these characters or is just curious.

Publisher: DC Comics
Year: 2012
Pages: 304
Authors: Alan Grant, John Wagner
ISBN1401236766

Follow Reading Graphic Novels on Facebook and Twitter.

Originally Published at Reading Graphic Novels http://readinggraphicnovels.blogspot.com/2013/02/review-batmanjudge-dredd-collection.html

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Review: Batman/Judge Dredd Collection

Postby UnionJack » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:09 am

Dredd is my all-time favourite character but I've only read Judgement on Gotham of the Dredd/Batman crossovers. Will have to pick this up.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Postby covalesky » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:46 am

UnionJack wrote:Dredd is my all-time favourite character but I've only read Judgement on Gotham of the Dredd/Batman crossovers. Will have to pick this up.

If you liked Judgement In Gotham, then you'll love this book.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 15 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:19 am

I love both these characters (Dredd more) but wow are they polar opposites.

But they do have one thing in common (and I'd guess it is unique to pretty much these two). They are their city.

Both guys are actually kind of boring, it's when their location with it's villains of the week/month and the general insanity of Gotham or Mega City's dwellers; that makes the characters shine.

The two of them in one (etc) books? Set in both Gothams and MC1 - how could it miss (and having read them all when they came out - they don't).

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Postby covalesky » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:55 pm

Amoebas wrote:The two of them in one (etc) books? Set in both Gothams and MC1 - how could it miss (and having read them all when they came out - they don't).

Sorry, didn't get this part.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 1 post

Postby doombug » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Already sitting in my amazon cart, can't wait to read them all. 8)

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 7 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:30 am

I read most of these when they first were out, and they were some of my first introductions to Dredd. Lotsa fun.

But I certainly don't recall a Dark Judge Joker... Must have missed one... Hmm. To Amazon!

Evan Meadow
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Evan Meadow » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:45 am

The Joker story as I recall took so long to get finished they threw the Riddler one out so the fans had something to read.

That's why its always had the weakest status. It was always meant as almost something throwaway.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum