The latest issue of Game Informer has a rundown of what to expect out of the next Witcher game.
Source: Game Informer Magazine
CD Projekt RED has plans to wrestle the RPG mantle from Skyrim with the next game in the Witcher series. Due to the popularity of the open world model, Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will shift closer to that game type and away from linear-chapter play. Some of the basics mentioned:
- World is 20% larger than Skyrim (taking 30-40 minutes to cross it on horseback)
- New Streaming technology - CDRED Engine 3
- Geralt's memory is restored (and he is sporting a beard!)
- No chapters/acts
- Will consist of more in depth play like mysteries in addition to slaying monsters.
- Coming on "All top of the line consoles" (next-gen ???) in 2014
What are your thoughts on the franchise shifting direction? Personally, I like it, but I'm a fan of open world games. Even games like Assassin's Creed are far to linear for my taste. Even taking what I've heard about the next game into account, it still sounds closed off a bit to me because you are playing a character made for you instead of getting to create your own character. Like I said, the more open, the better for me. Hopefully though, they don't sacrifice the story-telling in an attempt to offer the open world. It seems there are very few developers that can tell a story without cut-scenes and walking you through a plot.
Written or Contributed by xaraan
READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!