Advertisement

2012 SPACE Prize Winners Announced

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 203 posts

Postby LOLtron » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:39 am

The Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo has announced the winners of their annual awards.

Source: SPACE

SPACE (the Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo) has announced the winners of its annual awards.  SPACE awards Prizes for the best minicomic, webcomic and "general" comic submitted by exhibitors from the previous year's show.  2012's winners are:

General Category 1st Place (Tie)

Kiss & Tell A Romantic Resume Ages 0 to 22
Harper Perennial
MariNaomi
P.O.Box 30029
San Francisco CA 94133
marinaomi.com
$16.00

No One is Safe
Kreider-Wirick LLC
Katherine Wirick
katherine.kreider-wirick.com
$35.00

3rd Place

Wild Child #1 Fight or Flight
M Young
www.kindlinquarterly.com
$8.50

Minicomic / Short Story Category

1st Place

And Then One Day #9
Elephant Eater Comics
Ryan Claytor
P.O.Box 4044
East Lansing MI 48826
www.elephanteater.com
$5.00

2nd Place

“The Only Two” from Panel #18
Ferret Press
Writer: Tony Goins
Artist: Andy Bennett
510 E. Clearview Ave.
Worthington OH 43085
itradedmyeyes.com
$4.00

3rd Place

As Eavesdropped #3
Suzanne Baumann
P.O.Box 12096
Hamtramck MI 48212
fridge-mag.com
$1.00

Webcomic Category

1st Place

Next Year’s Girl
Katie Valeska
nextyearsgirl.com

2nd Place

Smoke in Your Eyes
The Rumpus

MariNaomi

therumpus.net/sections/comics/marinaomi
3rd Place

The Comicverse

Awakening Comics

Writer: Bianca Alu-Marr

Artist: Steve Peters

www.awakeningcomics.com

The awards will be presented at SPACE 2013 on April 13th. 

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: 2012 SPACE Prize Winners Announced

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:47 pm

Cool! I bought a few of these last year and can vouch for the picks!

Kiss & Tell A Romantic Resume Ages 0 to 22 by MariNaomi: She's so talented and was also fun to talk to for a minute. I bought her book and minicomic mainly because I enjoyed chatting with her, but then when I read them I was really impressed. It's great when you get a good feeling about someone and take a gamble and their work is so impressive. Her minicomic was about an experience with bedbugs, and we had a chat about the horror of bedbugs even though I've never had them. Then we even tweeted a little back and forth a bit after she left. Sounded like she had a horrible stay in town here, so I hope she makes a return trip someday. But anyways, love her stuff.

No One is Safe by Katherine Wirick: This looked very impressive, but I'll be honest and admit the $35 price was too much for me having already spent most of my cash. I did buy a minicomic of a larger work in progress. Nervenkrank, and was blown away by her technical skill and compositions. Even though this was only the first 8 pages of a GN in progress, her ability to tell a story visually in those 8 pages was really masterful. I've kept tuned in to her progress since and was so sorry to read of some family issues Ms Wirick has been dealing with in her personal life. Congrats on the SPACE prize and best wishes to her and her family.

And Then One Day #9 by Ryan Claytor: Someday I must find the rest of this series, this issue was a fascinating cartoon conversation about the nature of autobiography in comics. This may sound boring, but I assure you it is anything but that. Very thought provoking.

As Eavesdropped #3 by Suzanne Baumann: I think this was only $1? Man, what value for that price. It is what the title sounds like, funny stuff!! This was another case where I just got a good feeling about the person trying to grab my attention to their work. IIRC, she was giving out free little minicomics too and they looked too nice to be free so I bought a couple As Eavesdropped issues too. And I was so glad I did later on.

Well, you can't buy everything you want to sometimes, but it's very cool to see many of my own favorites validated up there in the prize categories. Congrats to all the winners!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:55 pm

Sigh this is going to be one of those threads where only I get excited about it, isn't it?

BlueMole, did you buy anything represented in the winners there?

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:00 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Sigh this is going to be one of those threads where only I get excited about it, isn't it?

BlueMole, did you buy anything represented in the winners there?

I bought the MariNaomi stuff. She was a delight to talk to and I was pretty disappointed that she's not coming back this year. I think I have something of Katherine Wirick's as well.

Also, I've got the PANEL comic (although I haven't actually gotten around to reading it yet) and I've been regularly following Katie Valeska's stuff too, since she was part of C4 with me and Ken. She's with James and Joel over at Two-Headed Comics and I've been looking forward to her Little Monsters comic for a year or so. I dunno if she'll have it done by SPACE though...

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:25 pm

Yeah, I didn't think MariNaomi was going to be coming back...ever. You remember the story of her motel stay, right? :-(

I tried to convince her it was just some of our homespun Midwestern motel prostitution, but I don't think it worked. :|

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:27 pm

BlueMole wrote:Also, I've got the PANEL comic (although I haven't actually gotten around to reading it yet) and I've been regularly following Katie Valeska's stuff too, since she was part of C4 with me and Ken. She's with James and Joel over at Two-Headed Comics and I've been looking forward to her Little Monsters comic for a year or so. I dunno if she'll have it done by SPACE though...

I know who she is, I just can't remember if I've actually read any of her stuff.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:47 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Yeah, I didn't think MariNaomi was going to be coming back...ever. You remember the story of her motel stay, right? :-(

I tried to convince her it was just some of our homespun Midwestern motel prostitution, but I don't think it worked. :|

Yeah, I heard about that.

What SPACE really needs to do is have the Columbus creators open up their homes to the non-Columbus creators, kind of like a foreign exchange program of sorts. Mind you, that'd probably be as disastrous as a $24.99 motel room...

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:42 pm

Or merely any affordable (& clean) travel lodging that isn't kept open solely for truckers and craigslist whores to speed-date.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum