Advertisement

Avengers Annotations - Just Who is Smasher's Grandfather Anyways

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 24466
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 136 posts
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 1:54 pm


Avengers Annotations - Just Who is Smasher's Grandfather Anyways

Postby LOLtron » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:37 am

Avengers Annotations - Just Who is Smasher's Grandfather Anyways

The Outhouse reveals exactly whom the new Smasher's grandfather is.




Avengers #5 revealed the origin of Isabel Dare, a new human Imperial Guard member.  One of the character's subplots revolve around the character's grandfather, a grumpy old man with some sort of connection to Steve Rogers and a mysterious past.

So who is Izzy Dare's grandfather?  Keen eyed Brits might recgonize him as Dan Dare, a British science fiction comic book character who has appeared in the Eagle and 2000AD magazines.  Dan Dare is a British equivalent to Buck Rogers and served as an inspiration for Captain Jack Harkness of Doctor Who fame among others. 

Dan Dare has been hailed as an inspiration to many influential comic book writers.  Both Chris Claremont and Warren Ellis refer to Dan Dare as one of their earliest influences and one can point out some of the sci-fi elements shared between Claremont's first X-run and various Dan Dare stories.  Ellis, meanwhile, has written several characters based on Dare (such as Dan Dashwood in Ministry of Space) and even wrote a Dan Dare miniseries published by Virgin Comics back in 2008.  Grant Morrison also wrote an iteration of Dare in the pages of Revolver, which featured a grim and gritty Dare blowing up London with a nuclear bomb.

Dare was briefly referred to in Marvel's Captain U.K. line, where a Captain "Roy Risk" from Earth-238 had been killed by the Fury.

Of course, Hickman can't openly call the character Dan Dare, since Marvel doesn't appear to have rights to the character.  Currently Dan Dare can be found in the pages of Spaceship Away, a British small press comic available mainly by mail order. 



Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter




READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!
Image

Advertisement

Draco x
User avatar
FROGMAN
 
Posts: 8603
Likes: 617 posts
Liked in: 189 posts
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 am


Re: Avengers Annotations - Just Who is Smasher's Grandfather

Postby Draco x » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:54 pm

I would be more interested to know how an earthling became part of the Imperial Guard rather than who here grandfather is. I never knew that Earth was now working with the Shi Ar Empire.

BlueStreak
User avatar
The Red Stands for Irony
 
Posts: 12256
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 27 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:06 pm
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak


Re: Avengers Annotations - Just Who is Smasher's Grandfather

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:54 pm

draco x wrote:I would be more interested to know how an earthling became part of the Imperial Guard rather than who here grandfather is. I never knew that Earth was now working with the Shi Ar Empire.


It's explained in the comic.
Image

Draco x
User avatar
FROGMAN
 
Posts: 8603
Likes: 617 posts
Liked in: 189 posts
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 am


Re: Avengers Annotations - Just Who is Smasher's Grandfather

Postby Draco x » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:57 pm

BlueMole wrote:
It's explained in the comic.


Haven't read it yet.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly



Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34360
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Re: Avengers Annotations - Just Who is Smasher's Grandfather

Postby Punchy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:42 pm

Dan Dare? That's pretty cool actually.

chap22
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 21371
Likes: 24 posts
Liked in: 118 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: Missi-by God-ssippi, a.k.a. Chapveria
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon


Online


Re: Avengers Annotations - Just Who is Smasher's Grandfather

Postby chap22 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:59 pm

BlueMole wrote:
It's explained in the comic.

yeah, but no. i mean it's explained how she gets the suit, and how she gets to Chandilar, and how she goes from subguardian to superguardian, but never once does Hickman even pretend to offer up an explanation for why the Imperial Guard, a force whose sole purpose for being is to guard and protect the Shi'ar Imperium, would even consider taking in someone who has absolutely no loyalty to that empire or the people who run it. she just shows up on the throneworld wearing Smasher tech she picked up basically out of the trash and Gladiator and the rest are like "'sup. oh, you confiscated our dead guy's tech? it's cool, come join our most prestigious, well-trained, groomed from birth group of warriors, random Earthling college dropout #187,432."

Hickman made me like Izzy Dare in just this one issue, and i think she'll make a fine Avenger, but i'm having trouble buying the idea that she'd be accepted as a Guardsman too.
Image
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

BubbaKanoosh
User avatar
2009 Most Valuable Poster
 
Posts: 35593
Likes: 382 posts
Liked in: 420 posts
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:50 am
Formerly: BRBKanoosh


Re: Avengers Annotations - Just Who is Smasher's Grandfather

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:04 pm

Is Earth part if the Shi'ar empire? Why would they draft someone from outside the empire?

chap22
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 21371
Likes: 24 posts
Liked in: 118 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: Missi-by God-ssippi, a.k.a. Chapveria
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon


Online


Re: Avengers Annotations - Just Who is Smasher's Grandfather

Postby chap22 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:07 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Is Earth part if the Shi'ar empire? Why would they draft someone from outside the empire?

no. and exactly.
Image
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

BubbaKanoosh
User avatar
2009 Most Valuable Poster
 
Posts: 35593
Likes: 382 posts
Liked in: 420 posts
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:50 am
Formerly: BRBKanoosh


Re: Avengers Annotations - Just Who is Smasher's Grandfather

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:11 pm

They should've done something like Gladiator sending someone to Earth as a watchdog type thing. His eyes and ears on Earth, since AvX earth is kinda on everyone's hate list

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34360
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Re: Avengers Annotations - Just Who is Smasher's Grandfather

Postby Punchy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:15 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:They should've done something like Gladiator sending someone to Earth as a watchdog type thing. His eyes and ears on Earth, since AvX earth is kinda on everyone's hate list


In Wolverine & The X-Men, Gladiator sent his son, Kid Gladiator to school on Earth, with his bodyguard Deathbird being left behind as a member of the X-Men, so there are links between the two, maybe Hickman could bring Deathbird in a role like that.

Draco x
User avatar
FROGMAN
 
Posts: 8603
Likes: 617 posts
Liked in: 189 posts
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 am


Re: Avengers Annotations - Just Who is Smasher's Grandfather

Postby Draco x » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:27 pm

chap22 wrote:yeah, but no. i mean it's explained how she gets the suit, and how she gets to Chandilar, and how she goes from subguardian to superguardian, but never once does Hickman even pretend to offer up an explanation for why the Imperial Guard, a force whose sole purpose for being is to guard and protect the Shi'ar Imperium, would even consider taking in someone who has absolutely no loyalty to that empire or the people who run it. she just shows up on the throneworld wearing Smasher tech she picked up basically out of the trash and Gladiator and the rest are like "'sup. oh, you confiscated our dead guy's tech? it's cool, come join our most prestigious, well-trained, groomed from birth group of warriors, random Earthling college dropout #187,432."

Hickman made me like Izzy Dare in just this one issue, and i think she'll make a fine Avenger, but i'm having trouble buying the idea that she'd be accepted as a Guardsman too.


Exactly what I was wondering myself. Besides Gladiator and the Shi Ar don't think that highly of Earth although they are cool with many of its heroes so I don't see how some random earthling would just be accepted into their ranks like this.

Draco x
User avatar
FROGMAN
 
Posts: 8603
Likes: 617 posts
Liked in: 189 posts
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 am


Re: Avengers Annotations - Just Who is Smasher's Grandfather

Postby Draco x » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:29 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:They should've done something like Gladiator sending someone to Earth as a watchdog type thing. His eyes and ears on Earth, since AvX earth is kinda on everyone's hate list


That would make a lot of sense here.

e_galston
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 19364
Likes: 201 posts
Liked in: 319 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:38 pm
Location: Frederick, MD
Formerly: Sitebreaker


Re: Avengers Annotations - Just Who is Smasher's Grandfather

Postby e_galston » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:15 pm

Punchy wrote:
In Wolverine & The X-Men, Gladiator sent his son, Kid Gladiator to school on Earth, with his bodyguard Deathbird being left behind as a member of the X-Men, so there are links between the two, maybe Hickman could bring Deathbird in a role like that.


not to be nitpicky, but Deathbird is a villain, WARBIRD is the member of the X-Men.
Image

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34360
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Re: Avengers Annotations - Just Who is Smasher's Grandfather

Postby Punchy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:20 pm

e_galston wrote:
not to be nitpicky, but Deathbird is a villain, WARBIRD is the member of the X-Men.


Not to be nitpicky?

You nitpicked, just admit it!

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 122 guests

Advertisement