Advertisement

The Before Watchmen Thread

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 293 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

The Before Watchmen Thread

Postby Amoebas » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:18 pm

Snowapocolypse has given me time to catch up on some books and to write about em. Here's the first part of my review on Before Watchmen (spoilers within)...

Before Watchmen – The Minutemen

It’s magic – and that magic’s name is Darwyn Cooke

Cooke has taken characters I thought I knew from rereading Watching a billion times since ’86 and breathed new life into them without taking away a single iota from Moore’s work. Well, that’s not completely the truth because as the issues open and close they do not unfold the way they do in the “Under the Hood” text pieces from the supplemental in Watchmen #2. Spoiler - this discrepancy does get resolved in BW: The Minutemen #6.

As I read these new issues, seeing these characters again, I couldn't help thinking how they all die or end. I knew Dollar Bill dies stupidly. I knew Silhouette is murdered. I knew Hooded Justice is killed by the Comedian, etc.. And that information that I've had for 15 + years is what Cooke was counting on. Because the most shocking revelation of the series threw me for a loop and then the reveal behind that revelation threw me for another.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
(The Comedian didn't kill Hooded Justice, Nite Owl did (because the Comedian inadvertently tricked him into it)).

Everything gets wrapped up nicely with the final pages and what a joy those pages are. Cooke’s art is a spectacular. He even echoes Gibbon with both symbolism and transition from page to page in places.

If you dismissed this series (or the others) because of the “how dare they” mentality, you’re an idiot.

Before Watchmen – Silk Spectre

As mentioned above, Cooke is magic with story, words and art. And as much fun as it is to look at Cooke’s art, equally so is looking at Amanda Conners.

The story isn't up to the same level as Minutemen, but the setting is wonderful; San Francisco during the summer of love – and Amada’s drawing style is simply perfection for this. The clothes, the hair, the backgrounds, it just screams the sixties (but drawn for 2012/13).

This is an origin story for Laurie as we observe her over the course of a year or so. If you've never read Watchmen it wouldn't matter, everything here is complete. Cameos by (not the) Beatles, (not the) Doors and (not) Frank Sinatra add to the fun along the way.

As someone who appreciates never having enough Dixie Cups, this mini is way groovy.

Before Watchmen – Moloch
As I’m reading these books a sitting at a time, I found myself limited for time and tabled Nite Owl for the two issue Moloch.

I’m not a JMS fan but I have always liked Eduardo Risso so it was 50/50 going in. Thankfully it was Brave & the Bold JMS and not Fantastic Four JMS that showed up.

Everything you didn’t think you wanted to know about Moloch is revealed and it works. During the original Watchmen I always wondered how a magician could go up against the Comedian or Dr. Manhattan (Dollar Bill, Captain Metropolis or Mothman sure, but not those two). Now it makes sense, he really was a criminal mastermind – one that makes you think he could really have existed on our own Earth during the Dillinger & Barrow Gang days.

Issue #2 is about life after jail and… enter Ozymandias. Now, we already knew what a dick and genius Oz is, but to see the manipulation he employs just makes him even more of a bastard than I ever believed before. Irradiating Moloch’s desk while Moloch is unknowingly delivering the very goods that will give Janey Slater cancer – is just mean!

Risso is great and fits the story to a tee (which reminds me I need to catch up on Spaceman).

Before Watchmen – Dollar Bill

So I had more time than I thought, so I picked up the one issue Dollar Bill knowing full well I was going to love it (which I did). I have primarily always been an author over artist kind of reader, but I have a few weaknesses with this thought process and Steve Rude is one of em.

This is the fourth Before Watchmen title in my reviewing agenda and the art is just spectacular in all of them. But what about the story? Len Wein hasn’t ‘had’ it for a while and he may still not ‘have it’. It's hard to tell because Rude can make a Liefeld or Austin script look like gold.

The story is a little reminiscent of the recent Captain America movie however as Bill’s origin story is told, but there’s enough non Cap stuff that keeps it moving. And when we get to the expected ending (he dies) it’s not played for the laughter I thought it would. I found out I liked Bill and that he wasn’t the joke character I always thought him to be (doesn't however make him any less dead than he was when first introduced in 1986).

Plenty more to read after more shoveling...

Advertisement

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 76 posts

Re: The Before Watchmen Thread

Postby misac » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:42 pm

Looking forward to more reviews.

I had no interest in these but I was curious what people thought now that they’re done.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 159 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:08 pm

I've read a few of these and they havent been that good.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:52 pm

Before Watchmen: Minutemen is up there with New Frontier as far as I'm concerned as one of the best things Cooke has done. Really loved it.

Silk Spectre was pretty good. Not on the same level at all, but pretty good nonetheless.

Checking out Ozymandias/Crimson Corsair next.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 619 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:06 pm

A positive Before Watchmen thread? Kill it! Kill it with fire!
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:07 pm

Well, you can see just how much love it's gotten since February, eh?

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum