Advertisement

Review: Prophet Volume 1 Remission

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts

Review: Prophet Volume 1 Remission

Postby LOLtron » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:35 am

Review:Prophet Volume 1 Remission
Cover
Prophet Volume 1 Remission narrates the story of John Prophet.

Prophet was created by Rob Liefeld and was published alongside Youngblood and in its own series between 1992 and 2000. This book relaunches the story of John Prophet, a enhanced human preserved through time, waiting the day when the Earth Empire shall rise again.

Prophere Volume 1 Remission is credited to collect issues #21 to #26 of the ongoing series. Just to clarify these are the first issues of the 2012 relaunch series.

How is it?

Before you read any further, please throw away all Liefeldian baggage you might have. This is a new take on a concept created by Rob Liefeld but is presented in a completely original way. Neither the writing nor the art follow the Liefeldian school of thought so, for better or worst, this book deserves to be judged on its own merits.

John Prophet emerges
A hyber pod emerges from underground. It opens and John Prophet awakes from his hibernation. He doesn't know much, but he does know that he has a mission to carry out. He hears a voice that guides him in the designated direction. John doesn't really know what the mission his, he just knows he has to do it.

John Prophet awakes on a much different Earth much different from what he remembered. Humankind is long gone, aliens roam the Earth and there are strange animals all around. Along his path more hyber pods emerge with new gear that will help him in his journey. This is a Deus Ex Machina plot device, but it is used moderately. Prophet is rich in strangeness, from a blue amoeba looking living organism that bonds with John like a pet and helps him in the most unorthodox ways to a Robot like armor that regenerates lost limbs by eating anything it finds, you'll find odd things in every shapes and forms.

In his path John finds interesting alien races, faces moral dilemmas and fights for his life against the native fauna several times. Eventually he finds out what his mission is and fulfills it. However it is not the end of his journey, but the beginning of a much larger adventure. The Earth Empire will rise again.

Take that ugly

This is where everything gets weird, well weirder. In the next stories we will find much about John Prophet but that only raises more questions. As it turns out there are many versions of him. Some have tails, some live inside robot like armors, some are women, some are old, but all (or most) share the same resolution towards the mission.
Can't wait any longer for the Kid. Hope he's all right
Honestly I don't know how to rate this book. It could be either one of the best sci-fi comic books I've read or one of the worst. On one hand I just couldn't stop reading it. I just had to read one more page, then another and so on until it was all done. I liked the way the story is told or better yet, narrated.. The concept is intriguing enough and the stories are very weird but in a good way. On the other hand I've read the book, read other reviews, and still don't know if I fully understand Prophet.

One thing I do know, this was a unique reading experience. The narrative is odd, but in an "i don't know were this is going but I can't stop reading" way. The art style is an acquired taste at first, but then it turns into a gorgeous thing to look at. Over the first few pages its grows its own distinct identity. In fact Prophet is a very graphical story. Most the story is lightly narrated, with very little dialogue and most of the story progress is shown not told.

The price to pay for your mission

There are books that are written to be books. There are books that are written to be movies. At times Prophet seems to be written to be a video game. Or at least to be heavily inspire in them. The inventory, the goal driven missions, the different type of enemies that include cannon fodder and boss fights.
Inventory

Verdict?

I don't think I've ever read a book quite like Prophet Volume 1 Remission.

If sci-fi is your cup of tea then you should get this one. Love it or hate it doesn't matter. This is a weird and distinct book and that alone makes it very interesting. It truly is a unique experience.

Publisher: Image Comics
Year: 2012
Pages: 136
Authors: Simon Roy, Farel Dalrymple, Giannis Milogiannis, Brandon Graham
ISBN1607066114

Follow Reading Graphic Novels on Facebook and Twitter.

Originally Published at Reading Graphic Novels http://readinggraphicnovels.blogspot.com/2013/02/reviewprophet-volume-1-remission.html

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 173 posts

Re: Review: Prophet Volume 1 Remission

Postby GHERU » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:58 pm

I loved this comic and couldn't put it down
and you said it very well, "Most the story is lightly narrated, with very little dialogue and most of the story progress is shown not told"
this is one of the few comics that i have ever enjoyed that used the art to move the story with out relying to much on the writing.
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:08 pm

I still think its all a bit weird, but I'm definitely on board for the next volume.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby misac » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:33 pm

I'm not sure if I'm getting the second volume. I liked it, I really liked the start of it but it lost me by the end.

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:40 pm

We should have this review and my review of this volume fight each other to see who's more powerful.
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Postby covalesky » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:59 pm

Royal Nonesuch wrote:We should have this review and my review of this volume fight each other to see who's more powerful.

You wrote "It isn't so much informative as it isexperiential" and used words like visceral, textured and poignant. Also you analysed story by story, while I focused more on the reading experience.

We also have some different understanding on minor issues, but that's natural when reading a book.

Of course you win, but use more paragraphs next time :)

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum