Advertisement

DC Shocker: Six Titles Cancelled

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 244 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Re: DC Shocker: Six Titles Cancelled

Postby nietoperz » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:11 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
I haven't actually paid the press release much attention other than to joke about it, but you don't see anything a little fishy in a corporate conglomerate like Warner Bros/DC using last year's socio-economic buzzwords like "occupy" and "1%, 99%", complete with wristbands and everything, to market $3-4 comic books? They occupy wall street already, as TWX on the NYSE!

In a way, though, that's just the reality of corporate advertising - if I allowed that to annoy me overmuch I would probably end up dropping every DC and Marvel book I currently pull. Both books' synopses and creative teams are interesting enough for me to want to give them a punt. It's nice that DC are trying something different for once, also.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:54 am

nietoperz wrote:
In a way, though, that's just the reality of corporate advertising - if I allowed that to annoy me overmuch I would probably end up dropping every DC and Marvel book I currently pull. Both books' synopses and creative teams are interesting enough for me to want to give them a punt. It's nice that DC are trying something different for once, also.

Sure that's a reality, and I don't trust the messenger in this case. It's telling, though, that you say it's a reality of corporate advertising here. You see, to me, that's very close to the same point I was just making.

(But in my case, I've long since dropped all DC & Marvel books and have no interest in the creative teams. If I were going to buy anything from DC, I'd try Matt Kindt's and Ales Kot's books, mainly to see if either one can keep any remnant of their own unique styles or just both get ground beneath the wheel.)

I would argue, though, that DC has been trying many different things, to see what sticks. Most just haven't worked.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:47 am

But at least they're trying. I mean, the majority of the DCnU has kind of fizzled, mainly because of inept editorial micro management, but by the same token the fact that they have been willing to take a punt on stuff like I, Vampire, Dial H and Animal Man can only be a good thing, even if they haven't set the sales charts on fire in all cases. I see this as more of that, which is great: lord knows the core super-hero titles that don't involve Batman are kind of pants just now.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:55 am

nietoperz wrote:But at least they're trying. I mean, the majority of the DCnU has kind of fizzled, mainly because of inept editorial micro management, but by the same token the fact that they have been willing to take a punt on stuff like I, Vampire, Dial H and Animal Man can only be a good thing, even if they haven't set the sales charts on fire in all cases. I see this as more of that, which is great: lord knows the core super-hero titles that don't involve Batman are kind of pants just now.

I wonder how free these new books will be of editorial micro-management? It doesn't show any sign of slowing down. What's been evident instead is that there is a seemingly never-ending list of writers and artists eager to replace the ones who flame out or fade away from it.

But they're both miniseries, I think, right? Maybe editorial won't have time to mess with them much.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:57 am

They're ongoings, as far as I can tell. And editorial don't seem to mess with the fringe books (or those written by Scott Snyder) quite as much, so let's see.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 969 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:44 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
I haven't actually paid the press release much attention other than to joke about it, but you don't see anything a little fishy in a corporate conglomerate like Warner Bros/DC using last year's socio-economic buzzwords like "occupy" and "1%, 99%", complete with wristbands and everything, to market $3-4 comic books? They occupy wall street already, as TWX on the NYSE!

:lol:

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 149 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:27 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Sure that's a reality, and I don't trust the messenger in this case. It's telling, though, that you say it's a reality of corporate advertising here. You see, to me, that's very close to the same point I was just making.

(But in my case, I've long since dropped all DC & Marvel books and have no interest in the creative teams. If I were going to buy anything from DC, I'd try Matt Kindt's and Ales Kot's books, mainly to see if either one can keep any remnant of their own unique styles or just both get ground beneath the wheel.)

I would argue, though, that DC has been trying many different things, to see what sticks. Most just haven't worked.

And this perfectly encapsulates the problem. Yes, I applaud taking a leap with titles like I, Vampire and Frankenstein. The problem is that since they aren't looking at critical success, but simply the bottom line, it makes it increasingly difficult to invest funds and devotion to any new title. It's made even more difficult with DC's current scattershot business model. Reboot? Fine. But stick with some consistency for the love of God. Man, what a waste of perfectly good characters and concepts. Yeah, I'm a little pissed...

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 100 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:46 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:

Yep.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 969 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:52 pm

Didn't they try to latch onto that theme last year with Superman assaulting bankers or something?
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 110 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:21 pm

alaska1125 wrote:
And this perfectly encapsulates the problem. Yes, I applaud taking a leap with titles like I, Vampire and Frankenstein. The problem is that since they aren't looking at critical success, but simply the bottom line, it makes it increasingly difficult to invest funds and devotion to any new title. It's made even more difficult with DC's current scattershot business model. Reboot? Fine. But stick with some consistency for the love of God. Man, what a waste of perfectly good characters and concepts. Yeah, I'm a little pissed...

I know what you mean.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 163 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:18 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Didn't they try to latch onto that theme last year with Superman assaulting bankers or something?

Morrison's Superman was kind of hyped like that originally. But he really didn't go anywhere with it.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 22 posts

Postby UnionJack » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:38 am

alaska1125 wrote:

Exactly as I feel. I'm beginning to think there's no point in buying titles based on more marginal (but usually better) characters as they won't last. This then perpetuates the situation where we're stuck with a choice of reading Batman, Justice League, Avengers, X-Men & Wolverine. At least if you want to read Marvel or DC. There are lots of great, or potentially great characters if given a good creative team, who just don't get a chance. The publishers & the comic buying public are both complicit in this predicament. Fans would rather read five Batman comics a month than try out something like OMAC, Frankenstein or SoS & DC are willing to give them 5 helpings of Batman. So frustrating.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 110 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:54 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Didn't they try to latch onto that theme last year with Superman assaulting bankers or something?

Superman and Batman should assault South-American bankers. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 435 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:12 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Morrison's Superman was kind of hyped like that originally. But he really didn't go anywhere with it.

Could that be in Reboot Action Comics #1 when young Superman holds that rich corrupt guy over his head and pretends that he's going to toss the guy over the balcony ?

In that link they explain Superman going after corrupt bankers was a reference to the 1930s Superman who actually did that.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:40 pm

Yeah! My kind of Superman would toss BlueMole off of a skyscraper! :band

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand