Advertisement

Wish That Marvel & DC Would Do Crossovers Again

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Wish That Marvel & DC Would Do Crossovers Again

Postby Grayson » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:33 pm

Lord Simian wrote:You remember when they did the Access crossovers? They created this character, Access, to be co-ownedby both companies, so he could appear in either's books. And they made a big desk out of "when this crossover ends, not every character will be in their own universe!"

You know, saying in interviews and shit that they wanted to see about trading characters, like Daredevil goes to DC and Nightwing goes to Marvel. Man, 1990's/early 2000's me was all kinds of excited about that prospect. This would open untold doors of story possibility, it might be a new era of awesome....

And nothing. I don't think Access has been used since. And thus did Young Simian learn about "bullshit marketing hype".

Yeah, I remember that and that is actually something that I would have really loved to see. Hell, I would still love to see that. How awesome would it be if they did some huge inter-company crossover and a handful of each company's characters were trapped in the other universe for a year? The potential for some unique storytelling would be endless and I think we could get some really fun, really great stories out of it.

DC doesn't want to use Wally West right now? Imagine a Marvel book where Wally West ends up in New York City, becomes Peter Parker's room mate, and then interacting with Avengers villains. Too bad it will never happen though. Stupid DC and Marvel! :smt013
ImageImageImage

Advertisement

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:46 pm

Grayson wrote:DC doesn't want to use Wally West right now? Imagine a Marvel book where Wally West ends up in New York City, becomes Peter Parker's room mate, and then interacting with Avengers villains. Too bad it will never happen though. Stupid DC and Marvel! :smt013

Except Wally doesn't have the Speed Force in the MU and he'd be defenseless against Peter "Octospidey" Parker's advances.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:37 pm

Amoebas wrote:Except Wally doesn't have the Speed Force in the MU and he'd be defenseless against Peter "Octospidey" Parker's advances.

That was only in a story that was officially not within the continuity of either the DC or Marvel universe. Maybe this time, if Wally enters the Marvel universe, his body will act as a Speed Force generator that generates his own Speed Force. :smt102

In regards to "Octospidey," obviously the scenario I described happens after everything is set right and Peter is firmly in control of his own body once again, which will more than likely be sometime after May. :P
ImageImageImage

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:41 pm

Marvel is too busy plotting out their line-wide reboot (ya know, the one thing that they swore they'd never do) right now to take on another large-scale project :P
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:45 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Marvel is too busy plotting out their line-wide reboot (ya know, the one thing that they swore they'd never do) right now to take on another large-scale project :P

You've been desperately clinging to this theory for over a year now, to no avail. :lol:

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:55 pm

Chris wrote:You've been desperately clinging to this theory for over a year now, to no avail. :lol:

Exactly. Why would Marvel do a company wide reboot when they were able to turn the tide against DC by simply renumbering their comics? :smt102

Besides, when Marvel wants to reset their status quo they simply do something like have Spider-Man make a deal with the devil, have Doctor Octopus brainwash Spider-Man into believing that he is really Doctor Octopus, or just ignore continuity altogether. :P
ImageImageImage

prozacman
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Sir PopsPills Alot
Formerly: Darth Prozac

Postby prozacman » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:01 pm

I actually would like to get some new Darkclaw comics and an action figure

alaska1125
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:10 pm

prozacman wrote:I actually would like to get some new Darkclaw comics and an action figure

Yep...I picked up a handful of those Amalgam books in the 25 cent box. Fun stuff. Super Soldier was a stand out for me.

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:14 pm

Chris wrote:You've been desperately clinging to this theory for over a year now, to no avail. :lol:

A guy can dream, can't he ? :lol:
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:35 pm

As long as there are only 52 earths in the dc universe, there will be no crossovers. Unless they make it do that the people of DC earth have fucked up the universe so much via Crisis' that the elders of the universe blocked the rest of the multiverse from them.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:06 pm

I really don't get the argument that there HAS to be some kind of lasting change or some kind of imbalance in character spotlight for a crossover likethisto be worth reading. Sometimes it's ok for a story just to be fun, y'know? Have familiar characters who never interact with each other team up to face threats they haven't faced before. You can get new insights into the characters as seen through the eyes of other characters, that can be as interesting as some forced change for change's sake. If Marvel and DC could come up with something that promised to be fun, I'd read it.

That said, most of the ones they did back in the day weren't. They ranged mostly from dull to horrible, with just a few notable exceptions: I'm still partial to the old giant-sized Batman vs. the Hulk, the X-Men/Teen Titans one vs. Darkseid and Dark Phoenix (with Deathstroke), and my personal favorite JLA/Avengers, which was just so much damn fun IMMO it was worth the 25-year wait. But if they can't come up with something to equal those, I'd just as soon they do nothing.

Draco x
penile prisoner

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Draco x » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:09 pm

Keb wrote:I bet Draco still rocks an undercut ;)

And I bet you still rock MC Hammer pants. Besides, I like the bald look-it shows my evil side much clearly. :-D :-D :-D
Last edited by Draco x on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Draco x
penile prisoner

Postby Draco x » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:16 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:All they ever do is crossovers!

Oh, you mean with each other? Yeah, I'm dying to see a story where the longterm trademark values of two mega-corporations dictates that the characters in the story experience absolutely no change or growth whatsoever, and that the balance between the characters from each company be meticulously calculated so everyone "looks good." :P

So off base with this comment here. There were some pretty good crossovers back in the day like Batman/ Spiderman, Superman/ Spiderman, JLA/ Avengers, Batman/ Punisher, Batman/ Captain America, Green Lantern/ Silver Surfer and so on. Although there were some sucky ones I clearly won't mention, it was pretty good business and it brought fans from both companies together to enjoy good stories. It was also good for business. I miss those days.

Draco x
penile prisoner

Postby Draco x » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:20 pm

Psivage wrote:Or bring back amalgam

Yeah I remember that imprint. I liked Dark Claw, JLX, the Magnetic Men, X-Patrol, Dr. Strangefate and Assassins the most.

Draco x
penile prisoner

Postby Draco x » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:23 pm

Keb wrote:Have you guys seen Blankman? Do you remember Hard Edition?

Please don't remind us of one of the worst super-hero movies that ever came out. As much as I like the Wayans, that movie sucked rocks.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand