Advertisement

Wish That Marvel & DC Would Do Crossovers Again

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 390 posts

Re: Wish That Marvel & DC Would Do Crossovers Again

Postby Draco x » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:26 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
You remember when they did the Access crossovers? They created this character, Access, to be co-ownedby both companies, so he could appear in either's books. And they made a big desk out of "when this crossover ends, not every character will be in their own universe!"

It was interesting that Access was never mentioned in the JLA/ Avengers crossover as he would have been perfect in it instead of using Kismet and Eternity in his place. But then again they acted like the previous crossovers beforehand weren't canon so whoever wrote JLA/ Avengers never read the earlier stuff.

You know, saying in interviews and shit that they wanted to see about trading characters, like Daredevil goes to DC and Nightwing goes to Marvel. Man, 1990's/early 2000's me was all kinds of excited about that prospect. This would open untold doors of story possibility, it might be a new era of awesome....

And nothing. I don't think Access has been used since. And thus did Young Simian learn about "bullshit marketing hype".

It was interesting that Access was never mentioned in the JLA/ Avengers crossover as he would have been perfect in it instead of using Kismet and Eternity in his place. But then again they acted like the previous crossovers beforehand weren't canon so whoever wrote JLA/ Avengers never read the earlier stuff.

Advertisement

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:31 pm

Grayson wrote:
Yeah, I remember that and that is actually something that I would have really loved to see. Hell, I would still love to see that. How awesome would it be if they did some huge inter-company crossover and a handful of each company's characters were trapped in the other universe for a year? The potential for some unique storytelling would be endless and I think we could get some really fun, really great stories out of it.

DC doesn't want to use Wally West right now? Imagine a Marvel book where Wally West ends up in New York City, becomes Peter Parker's room mate, and then interacting with Avengers villains. Too bad it will never happen though. Stupid DC and Marvel! :smt013

The same thing they could do with Stephanie and Cassandra who the Didiocracy are going out of their way to ignore. They could easily show up as Avengers or something. Plus I heard that Quesada said that if he got a chance to use Jean Paul Valley as Azrael at Marvel he would so they could easily have all these characters show in Marvel, seeing as how DC doesn't know what to do with them.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:33 pm

prozacman wrote:I actually would like to get some new Darkclaw comics and an action figure

Dark Claw was my favorite Amalgam character.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:38 pm

chap22 wrote:I really don't get the argument that there HAS to be some kind of lasting change or some kind of imbalance in character spotlight for a crossover likethisto be worth reading. Sometimes it's ok for a story just to be fun, y'know? Have familiar characters who never interact with each other team up to face threats they haven't faced before. You can get new insights into the characters as seen through the eyes of other characters, that can be as interesting as some forced change for change's sake. If Marvel and DC could come up with something that promised to be fun, I'd read it.

That said, most of the ones they did back in the day weren't. They ranged mostly from dull to horrible, with just a few notable exceptions: I'm still partial to the old giant-sized Batman vs. the Hulk, the X-Men/Teen Titans one vs. Darkseid and Dark Phoenix (with Deathstroke), and my personal favorite JLA/Avengers, which was just so much damn fun IMMO it was worth the 25-year wait. But if they can't come up with something to equal those, I'd just as soon they do nothing.

This right here. :D :D

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 305 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:48 pm

draco x wrote:But then again they acted like the previous crossovers beforehand weren't canon so whoever wrote JLA/ Avengers never read the earlier stuff.

Maybe, but that's a big leap to say they never read it, just cause it wasn't treated as Canon. I mean, Tim Burton's Batman films weren't treated as Canon in Batman Begins, but I don't think that means no one associated with the Nolanverse ever saw them...

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 74 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:53 pm

Regulator wrote:
At least you aren't pretending any more. :lol:

???

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 22 posts

Postby UnionJack » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:44 am

Psivage wrote:Or bring back amalgam

Yes. Loved it. If Amalgam was set up as a line of regular books I'd buy it.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 529 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:48 am

JL/Avengers happened, its referenced in the Handbooks of the Marvel Universe. They even call the league the "distinguished competition" and didn't Busiek reference stuff when he briefly wrote JLA (108-114 the "syndicate rules" arc).

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:00 pm

draco x wrote:It was interesting that Access was never mentioned in the JLA/ Avengers crossover as he would have been perfect in it instead of using Kismet and Eternity in his place. But then again they acted like the previous crossovers beforehand weren't canon so whoever wrote JLA/ Avengers never read the earlier stuff.

Ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous. Kurt Busiek, who wrote JLA/Avengers, also wrote Iron Lantern - one of the Amalgam books.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 427 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:40 pm

Psivage wrote:Or bring back amalgam

draco x wrote:Yeah I remember that imprint. I liked Dark Claw, JLX, the Magnetic Men, X-Patrol, Dr. Strangefate and Assassins the most.

Those were good. I still have every title from the first and second cross-over :smt023
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 305 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:44 pm

e_galston wrote:JL/Avengers happened, its referenced in the Handbooks of the Marvel Universe. They even call the league the "distinguished competition" and didn't Busiek reference stuff when he briefly wrote JLA (108-114 the "syndicate rules" arc).

If I'm not mistaken, the rewriting of the universes in JLA/Avengers was the reason that whole storyline happened...

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 149 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:46 pm

I know that reality will prevent it, but an Amalgam Omnibus would be at the top of my "never going to happen" wish list.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 74 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:52 pm

i lost all my amalgam books, and all my Marvel books at that time, in a moving disaster. somewhere, someone got a lot of comic books :(

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 42 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:02 pm

I just want Disney to buy DC.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 529 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:19 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, the rewriting of the universes in JLA/Avengers was the reason that whole storyline happened...

i just remember that story dealing with Krona and the egg ( i believe it was) that was left at the end of the crossover

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand