Advertisement

What Was The last Film You Watched ?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 372 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: What Was The last Film You Watched ?

Postby Keb » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:46 pm

Grayson wrote:
Do you think about it every night and day?

I see me running through that open door.

Advertisement

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 1 post
Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG

Postby eltopo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:45 am

MistaT wrote:Image

Good movie. I'm really starting to like Karl Urban as an actor.

yeah he was a great in Dredd he's pretty great in everything

Drcharles
crash test dummy

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Drcharles » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:57 pm

The Artist..........I can see why it won a lot of Awards but it was not for me.

The Cabin in the Woods.........Didn't like it,.............

Curdled.........Liked it :)

Tin Man.........it was ok, ..we all had plenty of snacks on hand to get through this epic.....
(Kathleen Robertson was delicious)

16 Blocks.......Loved it, but what can I say, Bruce Willis is one of my favs.....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

oh and a pic of ben affleck playing a blind matt is enough to make me not take you seriously.....

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:40 pm

I watched a recently re-released collection of short films by Richard Kern from the '80s & early '90s, a lot of it was stuff that would make the rounds on 3rd generation VHS tapes when I was in film & art schools back in those days. Richard Kern was sort a cult figure. Well, not "sort of a cult figure", the very definition of one, I guess. And he worked and hung out with a lot of other people in that NYC "No Wave" clique, young Lydia Lunch, Henry Rollins, Sonic Youth, etc. Kern definitely had his imitators in the punk rock art school crowd.

I bought this new blu ray of his Hardcore Collection to try and match up my boozy memories from decades ago with something concrete. Not quite nostalgia, because then you have to remember what it is you actually miss.

Most of the short films were shot on 8 mm cameras, many are experimental and feature grinding noisy soundtracks to match. A lot of filmed gore and sleaze and body modification stuff (before your mom was into that, though). Piercings being done. Sex. People shooting smack. A woman who looks like a Klingon having her genitals sewn up as some sort of gender politics thing, I guess? I'm not actually sure it wasn't just for avant garde shock factor.

It's interesting to see a document of these fetishistic subcultures when they were still gritty, alien and underground. Pre-internet and vital, from a time when everyone wasn't 3 mouseclicks from content that would make Kern's seem almost quaint by comparison. In that way, these films show how much cultural change and assimilation has occurred since they were shot and how far the cutting edge has shifted as a result.

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 191 posts
Title: Bitch, I'm fabulous
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:38 am

Best Worst Movie, a documentary about Troll 2, considered the worst movie of all time. It is so bad it has achieved cult status and is very popular in the right circles. The documentary was created by the star of that movie, a boy at the time, now grown up and living with the embarrassment that was this film.

I'm not a huge bad movie fan, but I do like some. Robot Jox is pure gold as far as I'm concerned, but I don't think I could ever meet with the makers and say, "This movie is so awful, I just love it!" I know that I would hate to have someone say that to me with anything I created with serious intent. I've been in some very bad productions, including the world's worst stage version of To Kill a Mockingbird, but the difference is that we had no illusions that it was good in the first place. I can revel in stories of the hideousness now because I did so then as well. But if I did something I was genuinely proud of, and heard people label it as the world's worst anything, I would find that very difficult to take.

That is the tragedy of this documentary. Most of it is fun to watch as the actors realize how awful it is and and are shocked and delighted by the cult popularity. They join in the various screenings and Q&A sessions with tongue planted firmly in cheek. However, other parts are very tragic, such as seeing the director and writer who are still deluded that they have created a genuinely great piece of art and don't really understand the popularity as a love of bad film and camp. Then there's the scene where some of them fool themselves into thinking the love of the movie is more widespread than it actually is as they set up a booth at a horror convention, ignored and disgusted.

Like most good documentaries, it really delves into the human element behind the story. Meeting these creators and the fans involved is pretty incredible. There are some amazing stories, like the general store owner who is an incredibly creepy character, and we discover that the actor has had mental problems his whole life and that was mostly him in a role he hardly remembers doing at all. There's the legitimate actress who refuses to put Troll 2 on her resume and says she's lost jobs because they found out she was in it. The film combines the joys of backstage fun with the horror of watching a terrible comedian dying on stage. A truly mixed pleasure.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:14 am

Yeah, Best Worst Movie is awesome.

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 152 posts
Title: Deviant by design

Postby Lord Ice » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:51 pm

Count Dracula - Christopher Lee does the big D again, this time for Jess Franco. Klaus Kinski as Renfield is not too bad looking, but still creepy as hell. Weird seeing Soledad Miranda not naked, but she makes up for it later in Vampyros Lesbos. :groucho:

The Incredible Two-Headed Transplant - Bruce Dern as a weak-minded doctor who gets talked into attaching the head of a psycho killer onto the body of his groundskeeper's brain damaged son's body. The end result is like a twisted version of Of Mice and Men. :wink:

Devil Dog: The Hound of Hell - The movie that teaches us to never accept puppies from Satanic cult members. Just try and whap him if he pees on the carpet. :twisted:

Sorority Girl - Early Corman about a total bitch who tries to manipulate blackmail and ruin all the other girls in the house. But the real fun for her begins when one of the girls gets pregnant. This is a side of the 50's you don't hear about. :shock:

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 10 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:02 pm

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower. Amazing film. 5 out of 5.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:51 pm

Watching Forget Paris with my mom, who claims she's never seen it, even though I vividly remember this movie from my childhood, especially the scene where Billy Crystal throws Kareem Abdul-Jabar out of his own farewell game, gives Zeke a tech for lying and gets all in Bill Laimbeer's grill because it's the greatest basketball scene in a movie ever.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:02 pm

Should I watch this movie Cold Souls or just sell it?

MistaT
penile prisoner

Postby MistaT » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:32 pm

Silver Linings Playbook. I liked it. 3.5 out of 5

MistaT
penile prisoner

Postby MistaT » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:32 pm

The Paperboy. Meh. 2 out of 5.

GiveWarAChance
FROGMAN

Liked in: 985 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Postby GiveWarAChance » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:24 am

Deadgirl - It's pretty rare nowadays to find a movie about high school kids fucking a zombie girl they find shackled in an asylums basement.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:28 am

the fuck kinda shit is that?

GiveWarAChance
FROGMAN

Liked in: 985 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Postby GiveWarAChance » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:55 am

Keb wrote:the fuck kinda shit is that?

To be totally fair to the guys, they only start fucking her after beating her, trying to snap her neck and shooting her. She was practically begging for it.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum