Advertisement

Review: Dr. Horrible and Other Horrible Stories

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 276 posts

Postby LOLtron » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:58 pm

Cover
Dr. Horrible and Other Horrible Stories collects a group of stories written by Zack Whedon that flesh out the Dr. Horrible Universe.

In this book you can read about Dr. Horrible's and Moist's origin story, Penny's love life, Captain Hammer being his usual arrogant jackass and what happened that day in the park with Johnny Snow.

This is a great opportunity to see the Evil League of Evil in action. And boy... are they EVIL!

How is it?

Before we continue there's one question you should ask yourself. Have you seen Doctor Horrible's Sing Along Blog? No?! The go there and see it. I'll wait.
Have you seen it already? Yes?! Cool then lets continue.

This book revolves around the Doctor Horrible Sing Along Blog's story, in fact all these stories are prequels. There is no particular reading order these tales are not connected to each other, just with the musical.

Captain Hammer
Captain Hammer: Be Like Me is a short tale that serves to develop Captain Hammer and show that our hero is not only a shallow man, a bit dumb and a pompous jackass.

Moist: Humidity Rising is all about the character of Moist how he came to be Dr. Horrible's henchman. This story also tells the Moist's origin story. Moist wasn't always a damped and suety man. He was once a normal kid with skin dehydration problems. One day his dad brought home a soviet cold war looking humidifier. In good superhero fashion that'll go horribly wrong and as a result Moist is born.

Evil Laughter
Penny: Keep Your Head Up is a story about Penny's love life. This story shows why is Penny so vulnerable. Her falling in love with Captain Hammer in the musical will be all the more believable.

The Evil League of Evil shows just how evil the Evil League of Evil can really be. This is something we don't see in the musical, so its great to finally see them in action. Also explain what happened in the park that night with Johnny Snow.

Dr. Horrible is the origin story of Dr. Horrible. In the musical we learn the Dr. Horrible isn't that bad a person. He is actually a nice guy. Then why does a nice guy chose to be a super-villain?! That is masterfully told in this story. Also some of the first battles with Captain Hammer.

Eric Canete, Farel Dalrymple, Jim Rugg and Joelle Jones are in charge of the art department and they do a good job at it. The art varies a bit from story to story but overall is very good. Its a bit cartoony, but that fits the mood of the book very well.

The art style is very clean and well define with vibrant colors. They capture the likeness of the actors from the musical very well, with the exception of Captain Hammer in the first story.

The stories in Dr. Horrible and Other Horrible Stories don't really add nothing very important to the mix. However they do flesh these characters out very well. And they're a joy to read but only if you've watched and liked the original musical.

Evil League of Evil

Verdict?

This is a cool book. However it only makes sense to buy this one if you've seen and liked Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. If that is the case, then track this book and you'll get a real kick out of it.

On the off-chance you didn't like the musical, then there's no reason to get this one.

Publisher: Dark Horse
Year: 2010
Pages: 80
Authors: Zack Whedon, Joelle Jones, Jim Rugg, Farel Dalrymple, Eric Canete
ISBN1595825770

Follow Reading Graphic Novels on Facebook and Twitter.

Originally Published at Reading Graphic Novels http://readinggraphicnovels.blogspot.com/2013/02/review-dr-horrible-and-other-horrible.html

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 365 posts

Re: Review: Dr. Horrible and Other Horrible Stories

Postby GHERU » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:56 am

As much as I wanted to love this book, I was very disappointed by it
one big bag of meh, IMO
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:24 am

GHERU wrote:As much as I wanted to love this book, I was very disappointed by it
one big bag of meh, IMO

Really? What did you not like?

For a tie in book, I was very pleased with what I read. I can see the Moist's or Penny's story getting a "meh" reaction, but the others are very solid. Well, as solid as a short story can be.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 365 posts

Postby GHERU » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:49 am

it bored me
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:55 am

Fair enough :)

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum