Advertisement

Giffen already leaving Legion?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Re: Giffen already leaving Legion?

Postby Arion » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:12 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Jude, did you into hack Arion's account? :smt017

But seriously, he was the first artist on the nu-52 Legion book.

I never bought that. The first issue of Levitz Legion in 2010 was so bad that I decided not to give a damn about the nu52 relaunch...

Advertisement

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 79 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:22 pm

Arion wrote:
I never bought that. The first issue of Levitz Legion in 2010 was so bad that I decided not to give a damn about the nu52 relaunch...

And there's the rub.

It's blatantly obvious that Levitz is the problem with Legion sucking right now. He desperately needs to be kicked off the book.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby UnionJack » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:47 am

Arion wrote:

I liked that series. I felt it was getting back to what the Legion should be more so than anything in decades. However, the NU52 version just seemed to lose it.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:57 pm

Juan Cena wrote:

And there's the rub.

It's blatantly obvious that Levitz is the problem with Legion sucking right now. He desperately needs to be kicked off the book.

I have to say I bought that first issue in 2010 for two reasons: 1) I'm a Legion. 2) I thought Levitz still had the ability to do something at least acceptable (I wasn't expecting something as good as Great Darkness Saga).

I think Levitz needs to realize he's sort of lost his inspiration when it comes to Legion. It's sad, because he used to be good in the 80s, and the first Legion comics I read were written by him, but it seems he hasn't aged that well as a writer.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:15 pm

Arion wrote:
I have to say I bought that first issue in 2010 for two reasons: 1) I'm a Legion. 2) I thought Levitz still had the ability to do something at least acceptable (I wasn't expecting something as good as Great Darkness Saga).

I think Levitz needs to realize he's sort of lost his inspiration when it comes to Legion. It's sad, because he used to be good in the 80s, and the first Legion comics I read were written by him, but it seems he hasn't aged that well as a writer.

That's the worst part. The book feels like it's mired in the 80's. Levitz has a serious problem with adapting to the times.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:20 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
That's the worst part. The book feels like it's mired in the 80's. Levitz has a serious problem with adapting to the times.

Do you think he should read some contemporary sci-fi novels? Or take creative writing classes?

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 131 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:59 pm

Arion wrote:
Do you think he should read some contemporary sci-fi novels? Or take creative writing classes?

You now have been clinically classified as a "co-active enabler".

Hab

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:29 pm

Arion wrote:

At least read or watch some SF created after 1990. It seems concepts like nanotechnology, and post-singularity societies are a little foreign to him. So are genres like steampunk or cyberpunk. All he seems to know how to do is generic sci-fi/fantasy.

The level for SF has been raised since Levitz wrote the Legion in the 80's he doesn't seem to have been able to reach that level yet.

- Sons of the Desert

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:30 pm

habitual wrote:
You now have been clinically classified as a "co-active enabler".

Hab

Well, somebody had to take up the job after Cat-Scratch left. (Just kidding)

- Sons of the Desert

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:29 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
At least read or watch some SF created after 1990. It seems concepts like nanotechnology, and post-singularity societies are a little foreign to him. So are genres like steampunk or cyberpunk. All he seems to know how to do is generic sci-fi/fantasy.

The level for SF has been raised since Levitz wrote the Legion in the 80's he doesn't seem to have been able to reach that level yet.

Or he could just do an Elseworlds of what the Legion would be like in the year 2000, and write it as if we were in 1950

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby UnionJack » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:20 pm

The best Legion story (IMO) in decades was in fact an Elseworlds - the Alan Davis one. Brilliant. Loved his Legion covers as well.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:32 pm

Arion wrote:
Or he could just do an Elseworlds of what the Legion would be like in the year 2000, and write it as if we were in 1950

Isn't that what's he's doing now? :roll:

Seriously though. Levitz has a whole universe to play with, yet except for maybe Orando, all the planets are on a par with 31st century Earth technologically.

What if the Legion visited a world that was more similar to the Old West (like some planets in Firefly)? Or Where technology took a turn and resulted in a more steampunk-like world?

- Sons of the Desert

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 228 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:54 pm

habitual wrote:You now have been clinically classified as a "co-active enabler".

Hab

:lol:

Juan Cena wrote:What if the Legion visited a world that was more similar to the Old West (like some planets in Firefly)? Or Where technology took a turn and resulted in a more steampunk-like world?

Interesting that you should mention that. Did you happen to catch the last page of issue #16 ? Let's just say that it was a foreshadow of events to come :!:
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:04 pm

UnionJack wrote:The best Legion story (IMO) in decades was in fact an Elseworlds - the Alan Davis one. Brilliant. Loved his Legion covers as well.

I've always wanted to buy that. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand