Advertisement

The Walking Dead 3.09 "The Suicide King" - RATE IT!

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

"The Suicide King" - RATE IT!

No votes

13%

doombug, misac
25%

Chris, GiveWarAChance, GOSD, oogy
25%

habitual, pastajoe, syxxpakk, xshane666x
19%

dairydead, IvCNuB4, ~Alima~
13%

Tattooed Jesus, Victorian Squid
No votes

6%

Frag
No votes

No votes

Total votes : 16

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Miracloman
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 4 posts
Title: Seduce and Destroy
Formerly: some guy from the 'Rama

Re: The Walking Dead 3.09 "The Suicide King" - RATE IT!

Postby Miracloman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:09 am

~Alima~ wrote:Agreed. AND WHY THE HELL did she not raise holy hell when she found out about all the shit the Governor pulled?!

This is Andrea we are talking about,you know.

Strict31 wrote:Curse you!

You've escaped from the trap that has always captured coyle and bender!!!

There will be another day, Miracloman! Another day!!!!

Advertisement

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 240 posts

Postby dairydead » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:25 am

Yeah, not the best episode. I agree that it seemed quite a bit "off"
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 137 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:57 am

Damn, my f key is sticking this morning!

Motherucker!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1496 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:09 pm

At this point, even if the showrunners made a dramatic change and decided to turn Andrea into the character she is in the book, I would probably still want her dead on the show. She is just terrible. Every time she takes a half step forward, she runs a marathon backwards. In the context of the Walking Dead universe, Andrea knows that if a person is bitten then they die and come back as a zombie. So here is a guy who has been bitten, laying at her feet. He is suffering, dying, and pleading for somebody to help him. What does she do? Asks somebody else to do it for her and then gets upset when somebody actually steps up and does it! Listen, I am all for being civil in an uncivilized world and I actually agreed with Dale a lot of the time...but what did she expect someone else to do? Magically cure the man who had been bitten multiple times? Bandage him up and he'll be fine? All she wanted was for somebody else to shoot him so that she didn't have to.

Aside from that, this episode was really very bland. I really wasn't a fan of Rick's last minute freak out in front of Tyreese and his group. These are characters who should already be on the show to begin with so to see them struggle so hard to become part of the group is a little frustrating to watch. I understand the group's reluctance to allow strangers into their new home, especially with all the things they have been through but eventually they need to trust somebody.

I am also curious why nobody seemed to think of the idea of blindfolding Merle, taking him back to the prison, locking him up, and interrogating him since, you know, they live in a prison and all. If the group is so concerned about the Governor and Woodbury, wouldn't it make sense to attempt to gain some valuable information from a person who lived there and was a big part of their security force? I'm sure that Merle wouldn't have had much of a problem with giving up information and it would have kept Daryl around long enough for everyone to have cooled down and figured out a plan.
ImageImageImage

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:19 pm

Blindfolding Merle would be pointless in any case, wouldn't it? He already knows which prison and where, and even how many there.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:11 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Blindfolding Merle would be pointless in any case, wouldn't it? He already knows which prison and where, and even how many there.

Good point. In that case, I still would have knocked him out to shut him up and then locked him up in one of the cells in order to interrogate him later.
ImageImageImage

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:44 pm

Grayson wrote:
Good point. In that case, I still would have knocked him out to shut him up and then locked him up in one of the cells in order to interrogate him later.

Definitely seeing Merle and Daryl walk off into the zombie-infested wilderness slapping each other's backs was a weird sort of a denouement, I suspect the writer needed to get them both off scene for a bit for Rick to have his psychotic breakdown, because I can't see the bros putting up with that shit for more than a quick minute.

It's funny, the comic flirted briefly with the idea of a nagging ghost-Lori too, but then dropped it suddenly with no real explanation. I wondered at the time if Kirkman had decided it would be a better idea for the show instead of the comic.

xshane666x
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 1 post

Postby xshane666x » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:51 pm

I'm bored so I did the math and the current rating of all ours combined is 6.66

Totally childish and pointless but I felt the need to state it. :)

It was a silly episode for the most part and easily one of the seasons worst. The end spazz out just made me laugh.

Tattooed Jesus
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 731 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby Tattooed Jesus » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:07 am

I was pretty okay with this episode up til the ending few minutes. The opening with the fight was cool, Daryl grabbing his crossbow while escaping was awesome, didn't think Merle and Daryl should have left like they did but of course they will surely be back, Tyreese's buddies just flipping the switch and wanting to taking Carl and Carol was stupid, Tyreese is awesome though and really hope they get him more involved quickly. Glenn stomping the shit outta the zombie from the truck was brutally awesome! All the stuff with Andrea and the Governor in Woodbury as a whole just sucked. Then we get to the end and Rick seeing Ghost Lori and freaking the fuck out, that was just fucking stupid. I could understand the talking to the phone thing but seeing the Ghost Lori especially like that was just stupid and didn't fit the tone of the show at all, just made the whole episode fall apart for me. Thats something that they should have just stayed away from, there is enough real shit going on in this world so there was no need to bring in the ghosts of dead wives bullshit.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 265 posts

Postby misac » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:46 pm

Grayson wrote:At this point, even if the showrunners made a dramatic change and decided to turn Andrea into the character she is in the book, I would probably still want her dead on the show. She is just terrible. Every time she takes a half step forward, she runs a marathon backwards. In the context of the Walking Dead universe, Andrea knows that if a person is bitten then they die and come back as a zombie. So here is a guy who has been bitten, laying at her feet. He is suffering, dying, and pleading for somebody to help him. What does she do? Asks somebody else to do it for her and then gets upset when somebody actually steps up and does it! Listen, I am all for being civil in an uncivilized world and I actually agreed with Dale a lot of the time...but what did she expect someone else to do? Magically cure the man who had been bitten multiple times? Bandage him up and he'll be fine? All she wanted was for somebody else to shoot him so that she didn't have to.

Aside from that, this episode was really very bland. I really wasn't a fan of Rick's last minute freak out in front of Tyreese and his group. These are characters who should already be on the show to begin with so to see them struggle so hard to become part of the group is a little frustrating to watch. I understand the group's reluctance to allow strangers into their new home, especially with all the things they have been through but eventually they need to trust somebody.

I am also curious why nobody seemed to think of the idea of blindfolding Merle, taking him back to the prison, locking him up, and interrogating him since, you know, they live in a prison and all. If the group is so concerned about the Governor and Woodbury, wouldn't it make sense to attempt to gain some valuable information from a person who lived there and was a big part of their security force? I'm sure that Merle wouldn't have had much of a problem with giving up information and it would have kept Daryl around long enough for everyone to have cooled down and figured out a plan.

Completely agree about Andrea, she's the worst, but they could have taken him "out back" and shot him there. Totally worthless.

They could have kept Merle separate, they do have an excess of cells.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 359 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Because of the Ghost of Lori (Christ, really?) and Andrea STILL STAYING THERE KNOWING THAT RICK'S GROUP IS OUT THERE! :smt013

Cannot stand her character. :smt013 :smt011

PDH
penile prisoner

Liked in: 119 posts

Postby PDH » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:01 pm

Seriously, though, how the Hell have they mishandled Andrea's character so profoundly? She's such a believable and cool character in the comics, it baffles me that they could mess it up so profoundly.

PDH
penile prisoner

Liked in: 119 posts

Postby PDH » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:06 pm

Double post.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:17 pm

PDH wrote:Seriously, though, how the Hell have they mishandled Andrea's character so profoundly? She's such a believable and cool character in the comics, it baffles me that they could mess it up so profoundly.

I would say that a large part of why she has been mishandled in the show has to do with the fact that they horribly miscast the role. I don't believe that they ever actually said how old she is in the comics but it is my understanding that she was actually closer in age to her sister then how she is portrayed on the show. They probably originally cast Laurie Holden as Andrea with the intention of trying make her relationship with Dale less controversial but between that and completely scraping the relationship altogether, they really lost a big part of the character and why we came to like her in the first place. We came to know Andrea and were able to identify her through her vulnerability with Dale.

Also, like I pointed out earlier, they never really move her character forwards. This past episode is a perfect example of what I mean. She should have been the one to take charge and either put that poor guy out of his misery or just grab somebody and have them help her carry him out back so she could do it away from the rest of the group. Instead, she just stood there like and idiot waiting for somebody else to do something she was perfectly capable of doing herself.
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The Asylum