Advertisement

Batman 17 (SPOILERS)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 1 post
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Batman 17 (SPOILERS)

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:28 am

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
So Joker made it look like he had removed the face of every member of The Family... but he didn't.

And we were led to believe that Alfred was blinded earlier in the arc... but he's gotten better.

And Joker implied that he knew that Bruce Wayne is Batman... but he probably doesn't.

And Bruce implied that he knows who Joker really is... but we never find out who he is.

And Bruce came right to edge of killing Joker... but--like always--decided not to do it.

Seriously, what the fuck happened for the past 5 issues besides a really awesome-and-creepy issue 16?

And with that, the only DC book on my pull list gets dropped. Scott Snyder sets a great atmosphere with his writing, and I love Capullo's pencils. However, this is way too much same-old/same-old being peddled as new and revolutionary. I'm still interested in reading this, just not for more than $1.99/issue.

Am I in the minority here? Did other people enjoy it?

Advertisement

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 28 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Re: Batman 17 (SPOILERS)

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:58 am

I was unimpressed by this arc, to be honest. There was too much suspension of disbelief, and the payoff was pretty weak.

Bert Macklin FBI
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 282 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby Bert Macklin FBI » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:18 am

Sounds like there was no pay off at all.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:20 am

The illusion of change.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 129 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:34 am

It was a bad issue and now I'm glad certain characters aren't in the new 52. Because this stuff is ghastly. This whole crossover felt pointless.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:23 pm

Does anybody think it's worth it for me to just replace Batman with Flash or Wonder Woman in my pull list? I read and liked the first issues of each, but don't want to commit if 1) The creative teams will experience tampering like most other New 52 comics, 2) They're tied into some retarded crossover like Trinity War, or 3) They experience as much quality drop-off as Batman did. I was excited to get caught up on Wonder Woman when I saw that Orion was present, but seeing that he'll be appearing in Superman in May makes me leery that I'll have to read both titles to get the whole story.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:25 pm

Or Detective Comics? I love Chew and thought Layman's first issue was pretty good.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 142 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:27 pm

Detective Comics is very good, but then I'd persevere with Batman if I were you...

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:28 pm

nietoperz wrote:Detective Comics is very good, but then I'd persevere with Batman if I were you...

Did you like this issue?

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 142 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:29 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
Did you like this issue?

I haven't read it yet - but even if I don't, the book has been consistently great since Snyder took over, so I'd say he's earned some leeway.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 388 posts

Postby HNutz » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:09 pm

I wasn't a fan.

What happens to the Joker? He fell off a cliff into an underground river Is that supposed to be a nod to something? Because it's happened a LOT.

What does the Joker say to Nightwing and the rest while Bats is out? We don't know. He didn't have any notes or anything. But they're all giving him the cold shoulder for some reason, right? Right?

Also... apparently a few years back, Bruce Wayne (NOT Batman) confronted Joker at Arkham. That felt... off to me.

And, if you were hoping this week's Batgirl would mention last issue's cliffhanger... yeah, not so much. They do James and Detective Bullock's back BOOSH!!(somehow). And the bad guy is Firefly. No mention of Joker. Or Gail Simone, for that matter.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 98 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:16 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:Does anybody think it's worth it for me to just replace Batman with Flash or Wonder Woman in my pull list? I read and liked the first issues of each, but don't want to commit if 1) The creative teams will experience tampering like most other New 52 comics, 2) They're tied into some retarded crossover like Trinity War, or 3) They experience as much quality drop-off as Batman did. I was excited to get caught up on Wonder Woman when I saw that Orion was present, but seeing that he'll be appearing in Superman in May makes me leery that I'll have to read both titles to get the whole story.

I'm going to give this storyline a pass and keep on with Batman in the immediate future, but if you are really going to drop it and pick up another title, I'd go with WW. I get the feeling that DC is wary of tampering with Azzarello's mojo. The book is rock solid so far.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:52 pm

nietoperz wrote:
I haven't read it yet - but even if I don't, the book has been consistently great since Snyder took over, so I'd say he's earned some leeway.

Don't get me wrong: I'll still try anything Snyder touches, as The Black Mirror was excellent. I just feel like his run has been well-told, well-drawn accounts of basically nothing for the past 18 issues. Did The Court of Owls REALLY need to be longer than 8 issues tops? Black Mirror was so great because it told a long-running, far-reaching story while other, smaller plots were addressed and resolved throughout. Snyder's New 52 Batman run is just... meandering.

Still. I'll read this if it's ever on sale on Comixology.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:01 pm

Since I made so much easy money off of the early mask-face issues, I flipped through this at the shop to see where it all was going, and...I can't believe how bad this was.

Wow, they had all that momentum going at the beginning they wasted and then Snyder turned in an underwhelming and even amateurish denouement like that. :smt011

He's getting pretty close to going on the short list of Absurdly Overrated Writers along with Johns and Fraction, and I'm beginning to think he doesn't understand how to pace long story arcs without half his readers losing interest along the way.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 133 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:08 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:Does anybody think it's worth it for me to just replace Batman with Flash or Wonder Woman in my pull list? I read and liked the first issues of each, but don't want to commit if 1) The creative teams will experience tampering like most other New 52 comics, 2) They're tied into some retarded crossover like Trinity War, or 3) They experience as much quality drop-off as Batman did. I was excited to get caught up on Wonder Woman when I saw that Orion was present, but seeing that he'll be appearing in Superman in May makes me leery that I'll have to read both titles to get the whole story.

it would indeed be worth it to replace Batman with Wonder Woman.

i like Flash a lot, but it feels pretty unimportant if that makes any difference to you. fun stories and great art though.

OTOH, if you feel like you need a Batman book, try Batman & Robin. it's the "characterization" book of the Bat-titles, and other than about 3 issues in the middle, has been as good as (and IMMO, often better than) Snyder's Batman. and the Annual from last week...one of the best single-issue Bat-stories in my recent memory. you really should pick that one up on its own regardless of whether you get the rest of the series or not. it's that good.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand