Advertisement

Batman Inc #8 spoiler

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 131 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Re: Batman Inc #8 spoiler

Postby chap22 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:18 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:Damian as Robin will be over after this.

Oceanfront! Going cheap! Plus if you're in the business of buying bridges...

Advertisement

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 162 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:40 pm

chap22 wrote:Oceanfront! Going cheap! Plus if you're in the business of buying bridges...

Your overconfidence keeps making this that much more sweet :lol:

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 79 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:09 pm

chap22 wrote:I never said he was a cash cow, I said those are reasons why DC won't kill him or get rid of him.

Riddle me this: when he doesn't die, if he isn't Robin anymore, what do they do with him? Give him a new identity? That makes no sense for Damian. It worked for Dick b/c he had nearly 45 years of history when he graduated, and by then was an adult. Damian is still 10-11 and has been around for like 4 years, maybe 5. He makes sense as Batman's partner because Batman's still trying to teach him and protect him (mostly from himself). He's too young to go on his own. Robin is a brand. They're not gonna change the name to Batman & ________. They're absolutely not gonna put him on the shelf to bring in generic Harper "I've been in 1 issue + 2 panels" Row as a new Robin...

I can't believe any of you are buying this. No, wait a minute...I forgot who I'm talking to, Mr. Wally Wingman West.

Damian won't stay Robin because in the end, he's the antithesis of what Robin is supposed to be. Robin is the character that keeps Batman from going too far into the abyss and becoming more like his foes. (See "A Lonely Place for Dying") Damian was trained as an assassin. He's spoiled, self-centered, thinks he's superior to everyone (possibly even his father). If anything, his stint as Robin proves that.

As for Batman & _________, DC will probably bring back Tim and drop the "Red" from Red Robin. Problem solved. That's more logical than Harper Row being Batman anyhow.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:14 am

Juan Cena wrote:

If you think Damian is still the antithesis of what Robin is supposed to be (if he ever was, which i'll dispute in just a second), then methinks you haven't actually been reading Tomasi's run. That's pretty much the whole point of that book: Batman taking in his son, who is admittedly pretty damaged goods, and teaching & training him, giving him a positive outlet for his darker tendencies to mold him into something better. And it's working...cracks have been showing in that "superior" attitude lately. He called Alfred "Alfred" instead of Pennyworth reently when he thought he was hurt; he did some incredibly thoughtful things for his dad in the B&R Annual (granted, he had some ulterior motives, but he still went above and beyond in what he did), he's complimented Dick numerous times, etc. he's learning. If you really think Bruce is going to give up on that particular mission when it's just starting to pay off, then again...oceanfront with a bridge!

And as far as what Robin is supposed to be, that's some nice flowery sentiment that Wolfman put forward in ALPoD, but that was never the reason why Robin existed until then. It ma be the reason Batman took in Tim in the wake of Jason's death, but it was not the reason he took in any other Robin. Robin existed because he saw another skilled youth who suffered as he did and wanted to give him a means to get justice, get it the right way, and prevent him from going down a darker path. That pretty much fits Damian to a T...or to an R, if you prefer.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:18 am

Damian as the antithesis of what Robin should be only works when he's paired with Dick Grayson as Batman, who's lightheartedness is the also the antithesis of what Batman should be. It was a flip of the traditional status quo, with Robin as the grim, violent one, and Batman as the lighter half of the Dynamic Duo.

Now that Bruce is back as Batman, Damian needed to, and has softened up, and it's been very interesting to see his evolution and slow journey towards true heroism.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:11 am

Punchy wrote:Damian as the antithesis of what Robin should be only works when he's paired with Dick Grayson as Batman, who's lightheartedness is the also the antithesis of what Batman should be. It was a flip of the traditional status quo, with Robin as the grim, violent one, and Batman as the lighter half of the Dynamic Duo.

Now that Bruce is back as Batman, Damian needed to, and has softened up, and it's been very interesting to see his evolution and slow journey towards true heroism.

For once, Punchy is actually dead-on. Good job, kid!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

chap22 wrote:For once, Punchy is actually dead-on. Good job, kid!

Thanks

...I guess?

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:06 pm

chap22 wrote:If you think Damian is still the antithesis of what Robin is supposed to be (if he ever was, which i'll dispute in just a second), then methinks you haven't actually been reading Tomasi's run. That's pretty much the whole point of that book: Batman taking in his son, who is admittedly pretty damaged goods, and teaching & training him, giving him a positive outlet for his darker tendencies to mold him into something better. And it's working...cracks have been showing in that "superior" attitude lately. He called Alfred "Alfred" instead of Pennyworth reently when he thought he was hurt; he did some incredibly thoughtful things for his dad in the B&R Annual (granted, he had some ulterior motives, but he still went above and beyond in what he did), he's complimented Dick numerous times, etc. he's learning. If you really think Bruce is going to give up on that particular mission when it's just starting to pay off, then again...oceanfront with a bridge!

And as far as what Robin is supposed to be, that's some nice flowery sentiment that Wolfman put forward in ALPoD, but that was never the reason why Robin existed until then. It ma be the reason Batman took in Tim in the wake of Jason's death, but it was not the reason he took in any other Robin. Robin existed because he saw another skilled youth who suffered as he did and wanted to give him a means to get justice, get it the right way, and prevent him from going down a darker path. That pretty much fits Damian to a T...or to an R, if you prefer.

I'm sure Tomasi will do an excellent job with Tim.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 125 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:40 pm

Juan Cena wrote:

*looks at the mess Lobdell has left Tim in* Yeah Tomasi is gonna have to walk on water to fix that.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:54 pm

Juan Cena wrote:

You should be seeing that right after DC's new Dick Grayson, USMC + Wally Wingman team-up book.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:25 pm

chap22 wrote:You should be seeing that right after DC's new Dick Grayson, USMC + Wally Wingman team-up book.

Like I told Nieto: Get. New. Material.

- Sons of the Desert

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:29 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Like I told Nieto: Get. New. Material.

Get. Something. Right. Ever.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 141 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:48 am

chap22 wrote:Get. Something. Right. Ever.

That's the thing. The new material will come naturally as soon as Nac stops insisting that every idiot notion that wafts through his head is DEFINITELY! WHAT! DC! WILL! DO! :lol:

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Tim shouldn't be Robin anymore.

The character has been pretty much ruined, but even if they cleaned up the mess somehow, he's moved on from being Batman's partner like Dick did when he became Nightwing. Becoming Robin again would feel like too much of a regression. I think his role is best kept to Teen Titans for now.

Personally, I started out absolutely loathing Damien but now I love the character. The fact that he's so wildly different from Dick or Tim is precisely what makes him interesting. He's the new blood the stagnant Batman books so desperately needed.

They've (Morrison and Tomasi) also done a great job of showing that Damien has it in him. He has that side that desperately wants to be the hero, in some ways on a more personal level than any of the other Robins.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:14 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:Tim shouldn't be Robin anymore.

The character has been pretty much ruined, but even if they cleaned up the mess somehow, he's moved on from being Batman's partner like Dick did when he became Nightwing. Becoming Robin again would feel like too much of a regression. I think his role is best kept to Teen Titans for now.

Personally, I started out absolutely loathing Damien but now I love the character. The fact that he's so wildly different from Dick or Tim is precisely what makes him interesting. He's the new blood the stagnant Batman books so desperately needed.

They've (Morrison and Tomasi) also done a great job of showing that Damien has it in him. He has that side that desperately wants to be the hero, in some ways on a more personal level than any of the other Robins.

agreed 1000% on all of this, including the initial hatred ---> love i have for Damian's character. he's been a breath of fresh air to the Bat-family.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand