Advertisement

Feminist Comic Creator Elicits Wrong Reaction to New Superheroine

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 10 posts

Postby LOLtron » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:36 am

All poor feminist Will Brooker wanted was to save frail, defenseless women from the perils of a male-dominated comic book industry.

Source: The Guardian

Kingston University teacher Will Brooker created superhero Cat, star of his new book, My So-Called Secret Identity, as a "feminist approach [to comic creating] from the ground up, in terms of story, character, artwork and production" after seeing all of the half-naked, huge-breasted female characters gracing the covers of comic books in his local comic shop. The heroine, who is depicted as a smart, capable, and fully clothed young woman, was meant to attract young female readers, normally repelled by the stench of male solitude, to comics readership.

Things couldn't have gone more wrong, as the comments section underneath the Guardian UK article about the comic illustrate:

"Not sure the come-to-bed-eyes are doing quite what they could for dismantling gender stereotypes. On the other hand, I'm very glad she's studying for a PhD and I wish her every success," said one commenter, who apparently believes a drawing wants to sleep with him.

"It's just a massive coincidence that she's a sexy girl with perfect skin, nice tits and lovely hair, then?" asked a comment by someone named The Spider, who we imagine is either a current or future serial killer.

"Incidentally, should the comic take off I'm predicting a SuicideGirls cosplay photo set within six months," he added, wishfully.

Our favorite comment, however, is this one, which seems oblivious to the past year of constant attention paid to the lack of female representation in the comic book industry (original spelling and grammar left intact): "Maybe just maybe then girls should get of their collective arses and write their own comics geared to their own interests rather than relying on male writers to pander to their needs."

To test our theory that male comic book nerds are so sex-starved that they will be attracted to anything at all, we gathered a small group of dorks and showed them photographs of a tree, a golden retriever, a load of bread, and the effects of cigarette smoking on lungs.

"We want to fuck those," the group agreed.

Oh, sad male comic book fans. Never change.

Check out My So Called Secret Identity at http://www.mysocalledsecretidentity.com/.

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Re: Feminist Comic Creator Elicits Wrong Reaction to New Sup

Postby nietoperz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:43 am

Never read the comments section: that way lies madness.

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 13 posts

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:47 am

How many straight guys look at her head anyway ? :lol:
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:48 am

nietoperz wrote:Never read the comments section: that way lies madness.

Isn't this website just a comments section?

But yeah, Guardian commenters are the worst, always trying to out-liberal and out-smug each other.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 18 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:53 am

nietoperz wrote:Never read the comments section: that way lies madness.

I used to think this place was filled with vitriol back in the day, but, reading various comment sections on Politico, Huffpost, Breitbart really opened my eyes.

Some lobbying groups were paying people per post prior to the election.

Hab

Mr. Log
phrase IV

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: I'm starvin'!
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:25 pm

I was told there would be photographs of a tree, a golden retriever, a load of bread, and the effects of cigarette smoking on lungs. Why am I even here?

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:35 pm

habitual wrote:
I used to think this place was filled with vitriol back in the day, but, reading various comment sections on Politico, Huffpost, Breitbart really opened my eyes.

Some lobbying groups were paying people per post prior to the election.

Hab

Seriously. News sites are always filled with crazies of every stripe.

Draco x
penile prisoner

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby Draco x » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:14 pm

This had me laughing when I read this.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand