Advertisement

So, What Did we learn from Sony about the PS4 Today?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts

Postby LOLtron » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:27 pm

After sorting through all the gabbing and promos, what did we really learn today about the PS4? (Updated)

Well, it looks as if some of the big news will be saved for E3.  The price (though guess is the cheaper version will be mid $400s), a look at the actual console, as well as a peek at some highly anticipated games like Final Fantasy and The Last Guardian.  But, we did find out a few things:

• The PS4 will come out "Holiday 2013"
  • Local Hard Drive, x86 GPU (will make it easier for devs to make games for PC/XBox/PS4 where PS3 was a pain before due to unique architecture), and 8GB (unified) RAM!
  • Will let you play while downloading stuff. (Second backup processor dedicated to these background tasks)
  • Boot-time of console is "gone", unit will go into sleep or suspended mode when you hit power.
  • The Dualshock 4 is the only piece of hardware we got to look at - it has a touch pad top/center, a headphone jack, share button and a light bar on the backside (Move controller function).
  • Share button will allow you to stream game to friends or even UStream channel.  You can also "pass" the game off to a friend if you wish or even to your PS Vita and play your game on it as your PS4 acts as a server for it.
  • The Playstation Cloud will be the new Playstation network.  (rumors are it will turn to pay subscription like XBox Live, but no mention was made).
  • PS4 will not natively be backwards compatible, BUT the Playsation Cloud will allow you to stream PS1, 2 and 3 games.  (Hopefully there will be a way to register what you own so that you don't have to buy old games again.)

They also demo'd several games: Knack, Killzone: Shadow Fall, Driveclub, Infamous: Second Son, The Witness, and had a few other big game announcements:

• Diablo 3 will be coming from Blizzard (with 4 player co-op)
  • Bungie showed some more from their upcoming game: Destiny
  • Watch Dogs was showed agian, though still a computer play demo and not gameplay.
  • Capcom demo'd new game engines and a new IP: Deep Down.

One concern I have is that many games initially will be developed for PS3 and PS4, which makes me think they won't quite be using all of the PS4's capabilities when they do this.  Sure, the graphics might look better, but there is much more they can do with a game than just make it prettier (just take a look at PC mods and what some of them add to a game besides graphics mods).  All-in-all, a pretty impressive peek at the machine.  Looking forward to finding out more myself, in the meantime, here is the Killzone: Shadow Fall trailer they showed at the event:

And the footage of Watch Dogs, though they admitted at an interview after the event that the gameplay was a PC mock-up to run as a PS4 and not the actual console:

A GIF of one of the few glimpses of gameplay from Bungie's Destiny:

And an album of screenshots from the event:

Written or Contributed by xaraan

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 132 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Re: So, What Did we learn from Sony about the PS4 Today?

Postby Zechs » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:46 am

I learned they should have ended the conference with the stimulated old man saying this:

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand

Then something grabbing the Sony speaker from the glass screen. That's what I learned. :-D

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:36 am

The graphics IMO aren't actual console stuff and just predendered CGI. It's what Sony did during the PS3 announcement with graphics and effects they were som much better than this gen's consoles could ever render in real time.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:47 am

Everything except what the console actually bloody looks like.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 52 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:21 am

Hmm. I'll get it eventually but not until I see games I want. If you can register ps3 games all the better as who wants to pay 2x for the same thing.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum