Advertisement

Arrow Annotations - "Dodger"

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 322 posts

Arrow Annotations - "Dodger"

Postby LOLtron » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:04 am

Arrow Annotations -

A look at the easter eggs and comic book references from last night's episode.

Wondering what tidbits and easter eggs from the Green Arrow comic books you missed in last night's episode of Arrow? Arrow Annotations is here to help, providing some additional notes and background info from last night’s episode. Arrow spoilers follow!

Dodger –  Dodger, in the comics, is best known as an honorable thief and sometime ally of Green Arrow and his friends.  Created by Judd Winick, the character first came into conflict with Green Arrow after some of the character’s advanced technology was used in an attack against Ollie’s son, Conner.  Dodger reluctantly assists Green Arrow in tracking down Conner’s attacker and later enters into a relationship with Ollie’s ward, Mia Dearden, aka the second Speedy.

Dodger’s main weapon is an electric mace, a variation of which we saw in last night’s episode.  Dodger was played James Callis, who’s best known for his stint as Gaius Baltar in Syfy’s remake of Battlestar Galactica.  His name is, of course, a reference to Charles Dickens’ Artful Dodger of Oliver Twist fame, who’s also a thief.

Sherwood Jewel – The gem stolen at the beginning of the episode is called the Sherwood, an obvious Robin Hood reference.  Dodger later compares Ollie to Robin Hood at the end of the episode.

Roy Harper – Roy Harper, Ollie’s first sidekick, is introduced this episode.  Introduced in 1941 in More Fun Comics #73 (which happens to be Green Arrow’s first appearance as well), the character’s had a long, tumultuous history in the comics, which we briefly discussed in Arrow Annotation’s very first comic.  After giving up the Speedy moniker, he’s also been called Arsenal and Red Arrow at various times in his career.

The character has been a staple of the Teen Titans, helped run an iteration of the Outsiders with the help of Nightwing, and briefly graduated to the Justice League, where he eventually lost his arm and his daughter in Justice League: Cry for Justice, which is really one of the worst comics you’ll ever read.  It was so bad that DC erased it from memory when they rebooted their universe in 2011.  He can now be found in Red Hood and the Outlaws.

Harper’s been a love interest of many characters.  At various times, he’s dated or had sexual relations with Wonder Girl (Donna Troy), the Huntress, the assassin Cheshire, Hawkgirl and most recently Starfire.

The character’s made a few appearances on television before.  He’s appeared in Teen Titans, Justice League Unlimited, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, and plays a major role in the currently running Young Justice cartoon.

Cass Derenick – The fence killed by Dodger might be named for Tom Derenick, a DC inker who’s worked with Marc Guggenheim on Justice Society of America and recently inked an issue of Green Arrow.

Adams and O’Neil – Adams St. and O’Neil St. both are mentioned, which again references Art Adams and Denny O’Neil, the creators of the famed “Speedy Does Drugs” story. 

Ash and Cypress – Ash St. and Cypress St. are also mentioned this episode. Both ash and cypress are used in making traditional bows.  On a sidenote, I think that Starling City’s streets are all named after trees or comic book creators.

Frank Chen – Frank Chen, Moira’s new ally against the Undertaking, is played by Chin Han.  Han previously appeared in The Dark Knight as Lau, a money launderer/bookkeeper for the mob, who gets kidnapped by Batman in Hong Kong and is later left on top of a pile of burning money by the Joker.  

And that's it for this week!

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 372 posts

Re: Arrow Annotations - "Dodger"

Postby avengingtitan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:24 pm

God I hate this show but I cant stop watching it.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 216 posts

Re: Arrow Annotations - "Dodger"

Postby misac » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:01 pm

avengingtitan wrote:God I hate this show but I cant stop watching it.

:-D

I'm glad the IT girl is going to be on more, she's one of the characters I actually like.

John Netto
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 242 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Arrow Annotations - "Dodger"

Postby John Netto » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:14 pm

I think you mean Neil Adams.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum