Friday, September 30, 2016 • Evening Edition • "Be glad we're not indoors."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

White people, please explain pt. 2

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:11 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Neil Diamond performing in black-face:


I'm more offended when he did a Christmas album.
User avatar

The Beast

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby The Beast » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:51 pm

muddyglass wrote:
so, ntikrst pal, what latitude or range of latitudes separate(s) the superior "winter" cultures from the inferior "summer" cultures?


Sure thing, my friend, this paragraph here was pretty straight forward, just read it again.

You’re hung up on stereotypical views because like most people, you are indoctrinated to perceive the world through nationalist bias. Cultures that have to deal with winter are more compassionate and generally more technologically savy, including Mongolia, China, Japan, Innuit, U.K., and Northern Europe. Winter wouldn't have to be "snow" per se but winter would be defined as a significant period of time each year where exposure to the elements would be fatal. Cultures that only have to worry about miserable rain and lashing themselves down once in a while don't have the same imperative to be any more advanced or more compassionate than they are at aboriginal levels.

This is what separated Rome and China from other empires of the ancient world and why their influence still endures to this day.

False Prophet wrote:Sometimes I sit in my ebony tower and feel sickened at the plight and marginalization of you poor, pigment-challenged bastards. It's no wonder you have to resort to the music of Ke$ha and Coldplay as an outlet for your socioeconomic frustration. /blackguilt


Oh, come on out, brother and embrace your assimilation already. 1500 years ago my Germanic and Celtic ancestors weren't much more than savages roaming the dark lands of Europe until we were assimilated by "The Man". You don't see us clutching to Odin and running around the woods painting ourselves Blue and making sacrifices to the trees, anymore, do you?
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:58 pm

Niktrist may have a point. Even with all the space alien's help, the white euros still managed to take over those non-white Egyptians, Aztecs, Indians, Etc.
User avatar

The Beast

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby The Beast » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:14 am

Juan Cena wrote:Niktrist may have a point. Even with all the space alien's help, the white euros still managed to take over those non-white Egyptians, Aztecs, Indians, Etc.


"Space Aliens" reintroduced the knowledge of civilization to the Sumerians after the great deluges of the last Ice Age wiped out the Pre-Historic Golden Age. That knowledge eventually made it's way to Greece and then Rome.

Rome had Winter, which made them smarter because they had to work harder to implement civilization. Then Rome went on to conquer half the world and leave the rest to China. The Egyptians never recovered from the Deluge while the Aztecs and the Indians were conquered by cultures heavily influenced by Rome.

Don't worry, I can educate anyone, Naicreman. I'd be happy to school you some more.
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:12 am

Ntikrst wrote:
"Space Aliens" reintroduced the knowledge of civilization to the Sumerians after the great deluges of the last Ice Age wiped out the Pre-Historic Golden Age. That knowledge eventually made it's way to Greece and then Rome.

Rome had Winter, which made them smarter because they had to work harder to implement civilization. Then Rome went on to conquer half the world and leave the rest to China. The Egyptians never recovered from the Deluge while the Aztecs and the Indians were conquered by cultures heavily influenced by Rome.

Don't worry, I can educate anyone, Naicreman. I'd be happy to school you some more.


How does this explain the early civilizations in Mesopotamia who certainly didn't have to deal with anything like winter. Rome wouldn't have existed without them. You also seem to be forgeting the Ottoman Empire, as well as all of the great Islamic Empires that preceded the Ottomans, not to mention the Indian Empires. :?

Or for that matter some of the great African empires that you seem to be just ignoring. After all the man thought to have been the richest man the world has ever known was African, Mansa Musa (literal translation King of Kings, but he best translation is Emporer) Musa I of Mali. After all, any man who can go on a hajj (in 1324) and seriously depress the gold market, and by consequence, the economy of the entire country of Egypt for years just by the shear amount of gold he threw around while passing through was seriously rich.
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:17 am

Juan Cena wrote:Niktrist may have a point. Even with all the space alien's help, the white euros still managed to take over those non-white Egyptians, Aztecs, Indians, Etc.


But long before that those non-white Arabs managed to conquer a great deal of white euro territory during a time when they were more advanced technologically than those white euros. And they did it all without having to deal with winter.

Sorry guys, but my main problem with what you're saying is that it's ignoring whole swaths of history, representing more than half the world, just because they don't fit into your theory.
User avatar

GiveWarAChance

PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Postby GiveWarAChance » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:39 am

Image
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:46 am

bkthomson wrote::lol:, well I'm appreciative that Canadians created curling.

Actually it was the Scottish who created it. The fuck else is anyone gonna do with all those rocks and ice.
False Prophet wrote:
Anglo-Canadians are alright. Had it been a brother inventing a game with a ball and two peach baskets he'd have been beaten with a watermelon.


Or he would have eaten the watermelon!
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:50 am

Stephen Day wrote:
Or for that matter some of the great African empires that you seem to be just ignoring. After all the man thought to have been the richest man the world has ever known was African, Mansa Musa (literal translation King of Kings, but he best translation is Emporer) Musa I of Mali. After all, any man who can go on a hajj (in 1324) and seriously depress the gold market, and by consequence, the economy of the entire country of Egypt for years just by the shear amount of gold he threw around while passing through was seriously rich.

Typical black guy...
User avatar

muddyglass

dr. strangelove

Postby muddyglass » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:55 am

Ntikrst wrote:
Sure thing, my friend, this paragraph here was pretty straight forward, just read it again.

You’re hung up on stereotypical views because like most people, you are indoctrinated to perceive the world through nationalist bias. Cultures that have to deal with winter are more compassionate and generally more technologically savy, including Mongolia, China, Japan, Innuit, U.K., and Northern Europe. Winter wouldn't have to be "snow" per se but winter would be defined as a significant period of time each year where exposure to the elements would be fatal. Cultures that only have to worry about miserable rain and lashing themselves down once in a while don't have the same imperative to be any more advanced or more compassionate than they are at aboriginal levels.

This is what separated Rome and China from other empires of the ancient world and why their influence still endures to this day.


the northernmost portion of china experiences harsh winters. however, the southernmost portion of china is actually very temperate and has more in common with egypt as far as the winters go. should the southern chinese be considered "summer" people messing things up for the more able "winter" people of the north?

in egypt, the deserts become very cold at night. do the egyptians have a "semi-winter" culture because of the harshness of the cold desert nights?

you also singled out northern europe as being special, yet rome itself is located in italy, i.e. in southern europe. how can the culture of the roman people, with a gentler winter, be deemed superior to the survivors of colder winters further north? did the conquered peoples of the north impart culture onto their roman conquerors?

it's the little things like this that keep up me up at night, yet the chilly moonlit air doesn't seem to help me unravel the answers to these mysteries.
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:38 am

Stephen Day wrote:
But long before that those non-white Arabs managed to conquer a great deal of white euro territory during a time when they were more advanced technologically than those white euros. And they did it all without having to deal with winter.

Sorry guys, but my main problem with what you're saying is that it's ignoring whole swaths of history, representing more than half the world, just because they don't fit into your theory.



Arab science & technology was basically built on the Greek and Roman texts that they translated. And it only went as far as Islam would allow it.

(and why are you making it sound like I was backing Niktrist's stupid argument?)
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:24 am

Juan Cena wrote:

Arab science & technology was basically built on the Greek and Roman texts that they translated. And it only went as far as Islam would allow it.

(and why are you making it sound like I was backing Niktrist's stupid argument?)


Sorry, I thought you were. :oops:
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:49 am

Nobel prizes all around! :drunk
User avatar

Food Eater lad

cheese

Postby Food Eater lad » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:56 am

Mansa Musa, the world's richest Man, got all his wealth from enslaving other Africans.
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:16 pm

Food Eater lad wrote:Mansa Musa, the world's richest Man, got all his wealth from enslaving other Africans.


Only a small part of it was.

Here's a map of the Empire of Mali around the time of Musa I's rule:

Image

You don't get to run a nation that big by basing the entire economy on slavery. Nations that size simply can't run off of one economy sourse. There was much more than that going on. Plus, most of his gold came from the fact that there was a ton of gold in the ground in that area.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: achilles, FaceBook [Linkcheck], Flamebird, GiveWarAChance, MikeinLA, Sarahroo, VaderTheTrader and 48 guests