Advertisement

Robert Venditti Discusses Taking Over "Green Lantern"

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 206 posts

Robert Venditti Discusses Taking Over "Green Lantern"

Postby LOLtron » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:03 pm

Robert Venditti Discusses Taking Over

Venditti and artist Billy Tan take over GREEN LANTERN in June and are already working on designs for new characters, villains, and a story that will affect not only the current New 52 universe, but the greater cosmic universe as well.

Source: DC Blog / Newsarama

As we first announced last Thursday, the Green Lantern universe is set for creative team shake-ups this June.  Robert Venditti will be taking over writing the flagship GL title.

Venditti was recently handling a limited run on Demon Knights, with a plan to then move off and do Constantine while he was also doing X-O Manowar for Valiant Comics. As DC started reading the Demon Knights scripts, they decided they wanted to try to keep him on the book longer.

Venditti states: “So because I was already doing that, and I was already working with all the other people involved with that project -- and I had pitched Green Lantern during that time period as well -- it became a situation where it was an opportunity for me to do all those books. But I didn't feel comfortable doing four books a month. I mean, it's possible I could have made it work, but I didn't want to find out by not being able to do it.

So we all sat down and decided that Constantine would be the best choice for me to move off, especially since Jeff Lemire and Ray Fawkes were already in a pretty good position to come onto that book. Those guys are obviously very talented in their own right. So yeah, Constantine made the most sense for me to back away from.”

Venditti plans to  use a lot of the continuity and  mythology that Geoff Johns put together during his run. But he also wants to take that to the next logical conclusion of it, looking at the various Corps and the high concepts that Johns brought to the series. He also promises that Hal will be the focus of the book.

What I'm trying to do is a large, overarching story that's going to have very profound effects, not just for the New 52, but the wider cosmic universe as well, and use that as a way to focus in on a character who's at the center of this entire thing.

Concerning the other Lantern titles:

They're each going to have their own individual stories. Josh has come up with some great ideas for what he's going to do on Green Lantern Corps and Red Lanterns. And Justin has some really cool ideas for what he's going to do on New Guardians. So all the books are going to stay on their own in the sense that I think you would get a complete reading experience if you just picked up one of them in any given month.
But there are also going to be ties that bind them together, because there are going to be these commonalities between them, in terms of the Corps and the characters involved.

Venditti understands the scale and the scope of this undertaking, and is excited about it. He sees the huge responsibility, not just in terms of what the character means to comics, but also to all the fans.
“It's my intent to capture that imagination and give readers the sort of things they're used to seeing in the book, but also surprise them and catch them off guard, and maybe make it even more fun for them”.

Coming in June

GREEN LANTERN #21 written by Robert Venditti with art by Billy Tan

GREEN LANTERN CORPS #21 written by Josh Fialkov with art by Bernard Chang

GREEN LANTERN: NEW GUARDIANS #21 written by Justin Jordan with art by Brad Walker

RED LANTERNS #21 written by Josh Fialkov with art by Alessandro Vitti

LARFLEEZE #1 written by Keith Giffen with art by Scott Kolins

Written or Contributed by IvCNuB4

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Re: Robert Venditti Discusses Taking Over "Green Lantern"

Postby superfictious » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:09 pm

I like that the other Lantern titles will be self-contained. Hopefully DC Cosmic is in good hands.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 845 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Robert Venditti Discusses Taking Over

Postby Grayson » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:44 pm

I have been on the fence about Green Lantern for awhile now but with the news that Hal will be the focus of Venditti's Green Lantern, I will definitely stick around for a little while longer.
ImageImageImage

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 324 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:59 pm

I'm in until they prove they're not up to the task. Although I'd really like someone other than Tan on art.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:04 am

Amoebas wrote:Although I'd really like someone other than Tan on art.

Could be worse- could be the other Tan

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 150 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:41 pm

Venditti plans to use a lot of the continuity and mythology that Geoff Johns put together during his run. But he also wants to take that to the next logical conclusion of it, looking at the various Corps and the high concepts that Johns brought to the series.

Good news for fans of the Rainbow Lanterns :lol: :P

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:29 pm

I'll try Corps and New Guardians for the characters. The creators don't excite me, but I'll give them a chance. I'd love to read a GL book again as long as they STAY. OUT. OF. CROSSOVERS.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand