Advertisement

IDW to Publish Comics of Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, and other Cartoon Network Shows

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 234 posts

IDW to Publish Comics of Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, and other Cartoon Network Shows

Postby LOLtron » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:28 pm

IDW to Publish Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, and other Cartoon Network Shows

IDW gets the rights to publish comics of shows from Cartoon Network.

Source: IDW to publish Powerpuff Girls, Cartoon Network comics

In a bold move, IDW has announced a partnership with Cartoon Network to publish comics based on their shows. So far the titles announced are: Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, Dexter's Laboratory, Ben 10, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, and Johnny Bravo. With this announcement the reporter asked simian criminal mastermind Mojo Jojo for a comment:

What do I keep telling you people?! I have reiterate and restate my point once again. For there must be only ONE Mojo Jojo in the world. ONE MOJO JOJO SHALL SUFFICE! For only ONE Mojo Jojo can rule the world. And that Mojo Jojo shall be me! However with this opportunity that IDW has now provided by partnering with Cartoon Network. Now you who is reading this, can now read comics published from IDW that were once Cartoon Network properties: Samurai Jack, Dexter's Laboratory, Ben 10, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Johnny Bravo, and the Powerpuff Girls.

Of course, I Mojo Jojo will buy none of these for these do not interest me at all save the later if appearances of myself appear in comics. Though I Mojo Jojo demand more! For simple small appearances in a single comic is not enough! No, I Mojo Jojo demand that I Mojo Jojo be given an ongoing. An ongoing to be written by only ONE writer who writes in the concise form that I MOJO JOJO approve. That writer who shall write my comic should be Brian Michael Bendis. For he and he alone is Mojo's one and only choice. For the other choices do not amuse Mojo, and Mr. Bendis does. For only Mr. Bendis's writings do not bore me into a state of utter unconsciousness and only interest me. For he is the only writer who properly uses descriptive and defining writing. He is the only writer who understands Mojo's way of thinking. Everyone else fails in that regard.

As for the person who's art shall be upon the book of Mojo's, it does not matter. For Mr. Bendis's concise and to the letter words of dialogue will shine through no matter what. So I plea, no demand demanding is always good, yet evil. That IDW immediately have Mr. Bendis write Mojo. For only he shall suffice! Any of the other writers IDW hires for this task to write Mojo must be approved by Mojo. For I Mojo Jojo will only accept a writer who understands the complexly of detailed panels with the complexly detailed splash pages that will last a complexly length of time.

This quote was from and given by,

MOJO JOJO

For those curious how this will effect Cartoon Network's prior commiments and relationship with Boom! Studios (who are currently publishing Adventure Time and Regular Show comics), this won't effect their current contract.  As for when IDW will begin publishing these comics, stay tuned as this site will keep you updated for further developments.

Written or Contributed by Zechs

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 130 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: IDW to Publish Comics of Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack,

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:35 pm

Boy, CN really does have it out against DC. :lol:

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 200 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Juan Cena wrote:Boy, CN really does have it out against DC. :lol:

Truth be told, DC sucks in publishing comics they own the license for. Just look at the earlier CN comics they had. Now they know at the very least IDW will give them some respect and if Samurai Jack has a good creative team that comic is bought on sight.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 309 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Re: IDW to Publish Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, and other

Postby Herald » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:50 pm

Well, hello, girls!

Isn't it interesting to see that DC Comics, which is owned by Time Warner like Cartoon Network is, will NOT be publishing these Cartoon Network books as they have before?? So much for "corporate synergy"! :P

Now, if only the DC characters could be just as easily divorced from DC Comics! But I guess SOMEone has to go through He-- well, you know where I mean! :wink: :twisted:
Last edited by Herald on Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 130 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:54 pm

Zechs wrote:
Truth be told, DC sucks in publishing comics they own the license for. Just look at the earlier CN comics they had. Now they know at the very least IDW will give them some respect and if Samurai Jack has a good creative team that comic is bought on sight.

DC should just be folded into CN. Maybe it would be able to make DC animated series cheaper, and make better comics at the same time.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 994 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:56 pm

Juan Cena wrote:Boy, CN really does have it out against DC. :lol:

If you were CN, would you really want DC publishing comics based on properties aimed at children? :smt102

However, this does present an interesting conundrum. IDW and Boom! Studios are currently publishing comics based on properties owned by Cartoon Network. Cartoon Network is owned by Turner Broadcasting System Inc. which is actually a subsidiary of Time Warner, the very same company that owns DC Comics. Why would Cartoon Network outsource the publishing of their comic books when DC has published comics based on their properties in the past? :smt017
ImageImageImage

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:10 pm

Who's going to buy these books? Those cartoons haven't been on the air for a while, kids won't know what they are.

It's not going to be grown adults is it? Oh God, it is.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:15 pm

Punchy wrote:Who's going to buy these books? Those cartoons haven't been on the air for a while, kids won't know what they are.

:smt045

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 309 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:26 pm

Punchy wrote:Who's going to buy these books? Those cartoons haven't been on the air for a while, kids won't know what they are.

...says the guy on a COMIC BOOK message board with a SUPERHERO avatar. :roll: :P

Some people are so used to reading about DC and Marvel superheroes that they forget that those are ALSO supposed to be "for kids"...

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 994 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:32 pm

Herald wrote:...says the guy on a COMIC BOOK message board with a SUPERHERO avatar. :roll: :P

Some people are so used to reading about DC and Marvel superheroes that they forget that those are ALSO supposed to be "for kids"...

Were supposed to be for kids. Comic books haven't been exclusively for kids for years now. In fact, publishers now market separate lines and imprints just so people know which books are specifically for kids.
ImageImageImage

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:48 pm

Like I said depending on the author and artist, Samurai Jack is BOUGHT ON SIGHT. WATCH OUT!!! :P

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 79 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:49 pm

Zechs wrote:
Like I said depending on the author and artist, Samurai Jack is BOUGHT ON SIGHT. WATCH OUT!!! :P

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
James Stokoe, perhaps?

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:49 pm

Grayson wrote:
If you were CN, would you really want DC publishing comics based on properties aimed at children? :smt102

However, this does present an interesting conundrum. IDW and Boom! Studios are currently publishing comics based on properties owned by Cartoon Network. Cartoon Network is owned by Turner Broadcasting System Inc. which is actually a subsidiary of Time Warner, the very same company that owns DC Comics. Why would Cartoon Network outsource the publishing of their comic books when DC has published comics based on their properties in the past? :smt017

Maybe they feel DC doesn't have the creative talent pool to do so or DC with the cancellation of YJ, GL, and Superman Family comics decided that all ages is something DC doesn't want anymore.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 36 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:06 pm

I think Ben 10 will have a better chance of success with IDW.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 519 posts
Title: I have no idea…
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:27 pm

It's not going to be grown adults is it?

Guess you won't be buying them.
Image Image Image ImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand