Advertisement

Batman Inc #8 spoiler

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Internet Celebrity

Re: Batman Inc #8 spoiler

Postby MoneyMelon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:54 pm

chap22 wrote:agreed 1000% on all of this, including the initial hatred ---> love i have for Damian's character. he's been a breath of fresh air to the Bat-family.

Yeah, if they made him a goody two shoes like Dick or Tim (don't get me wrong, I love those characters but its been done) it would be boring. I've seen that all before.

Having a Robin who comes from a drastically different background makes the character unique and memorable. It also forces Batman himself to change. Damien is his son. He can't just "fire" him or give up on him. He has to show this obnoxious screwed up little weapon how to be a hero. The alternative is seeing his own son become an assassin.

And Damien, with all his flaws, knows that being a hero is the only real way out of the life that was laid out for him by Talia. He desperately wants to be a hero, which I think brilliantly plays into his rivalry with the former Robins...he's trying to prove to himself, more than anyone, that he can be the best Robin ever. This manifests itself into obnoxious behavior because, frankly, he's a kid with a lot of growing up to do. He's immature.

There was an issue of, I think, Batgirl (pre reboot) where Damien is talking to Stephanie and they laid it all out for the reader. And I remember that is precisely the moment I started to like him.

Even the notion of Robin's role is handled well. Robin doesn't exist to keep Batman from becoming a maniac. The Robin role exists for Batman to take angry traumatized kids and mold that inner need for revenge into something positive. Damien, in many ways, is Batman's toughest challenge because he was already well on his way down a dark path.

Advertisement

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 13 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:01 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:There was an issue of, I think, Batgirl (pre reboot) where Damien is talking to Stephanie and they laid it all out for the reader. And I remember that is precisely the moment I started to like him.

yeah, that's kinda how it worked for me too. if Morrison had been the only writer to use Damian, i would probably still hate the little prick. b/c even though he created him, i think he writes him the worst/with the least depth. it was when other writers used him, guys like Dini, Miller, Tomasi, etc., that i finally started to come around on how much fun he can be.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 13 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:03 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:Even the notion of Robin's role is handled well. Robin doesn't exist to keep Batman from becoming a maniac. The Robin role exists for Batman to take angry traumatized kids and mold that inner need for revenge into something positive. Damien, in many ways, is Batman's toughest challenge because he was already well on his way down a dark path.

and yeah, this paragraph is what i said earlier. totes agreed. and as to the bolded part, it's almost like, and i hate to say this, that Damian has been Jason Todd done right.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:12 pm

chap22 wrote:and yeah, this paragraph is what i said earlier. totes agreed. and as to the bolded part, it's almost like, and i hate to say this, that Damian has been Jason Todd done right.

Yep. Even though Jason is alive somehow (I don't understand how nor do I care to find out) he still represents a failure for Batman. He's the one Batman couldn't "save". He couldnt mold Jason into a hero like Nightwing or Red Robin became. Jason became a villain for a while and now hes some sort of stupid Punisher wannabe or something. The anger consumed him. If Damien goes down that road, the consequences could be far worse.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:05 pm

chap22 wrote:agreed 1000% on all of this, including the initial hatred ---> love i have for Damian's character. he's been a breath of fresh air to the Bat-family.

Enough explanation why DC would kill him off.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:53 am

I'm not really convinced they'll kill him off.

Misleading covers aren't exactly a new phenomenon in comics.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:18 am

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:30 am

Juan Cena wrote:Oh look, a spoiler.

Hiding my reaction in spoiler tags:

Suck it Chap :-D

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:08 am

He was cloned from Bruce anyway. Dollars to donuts he ain't staying dead.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:19 am

Nothing about this screams permanent, but if it is I've enjoyed the ride. Not every character should last forever.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:43 am

http://comicsbeat.com/the-beats-guide-t ... c-spoiler/

In amongst the guide for spoiler free websites:
The Outhousers appear to have been shocked into silence, those poor meek darlings.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:47 am

MrBlack wrote:He was cloned from Bruce anyway. Dollars to donuts he ain't staying dead.

Probably, his days as Robin are probably done, though.

- Sons of the Desert

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:49 am

chap22 wrote:If you think Damian is still the antithesis of what Robin is supposed to be (if he ever was, which i'll dispute in just a second), then methinks you haven't actually been reading Tomasi's run. That's pretty much the whole point of that book: Batman taking in his son, who is admittedly pretty damaged goods, and teaching & training him, giving him a positive outlet for his darker tendencies to mold him into something better. And it's working...cracks have been showing in that "superior" attitude lately. He called Alfred "Alfred" instead of Pennyworth reently when he thought he was hurt; he did some incredibly thoughtful things for his dad in the B&R Annual (granted, he had some ulterior motives, but he still went above and beyond in what he did), he's complimented Dick numerous times, etc. he's learning. If you really think Bruce is going to give up on that particular mission when it's just starting to pay off, then again...oceanfront with a bridge!

And as far as what Robin is supposed to be, that's some nice flowery sentiment that Wolfman put forward in ALPoD, but that was never the reason why Robin existed until then. It ma be the reason Batman took in Tim in the wake of Jason's death, but it was not the reason he took in any other Robin. Robin existed because he saw another skilled youth who suffered as he did and wanted to give him a means to get justice, get it the right way, and prevent him from going down a darker path. That pretty much fits Damian to a T...or to an R, if you prefer.

Tomasi probably didn't know what Morrison was planning, either. That would be par for the course when it comes to DC and Morrison

- Sons of the Desert

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:51 am

Juan Cena wrote:
Probably, his days as Robin are probably done, though.

I don't know why you'd think that, unless they go ahead and grow him to his Kingdom Come version.

HNutz
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 5 posts

Postby HNutz » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:04 am

Zero wrote:http://comicsbeat.com/the-beats-guide-to-avoiding-the-dc-spoiler/

In amongst the guide for spoiler free websites:

And apparently DC spoils it themselves in every issue that has a "Channel 52".

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand