Advertisement

White people, please explain pt. 2

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

The Beast
cheese

Liked in: 86 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator

Re: White people, please explain pt. 2

Postby The Beast » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:24 am

Keb wrote:From my understanding, this is what you've been demanding in the thread yet you fail to show it to others.

You're wrong about that too. Let's go to the instant replay:
Juan Cena wrote:The Annunaki being space aliens theory is full of $#!t.

See, Naicreman starts talkin shit first. Then I respond with:
Ntikrst wrote:Aren't they all?

Monotheism is an insult to rational thought and random Atheism is a pathetic joke.

At least the Annunaki scenario makes sense. It certainly isn't disproven by conjecture and here say from those who disagree because they support nonsensical bullshit.

It was THEN that he demands we draw boundaries:
Juan Cena wrote:
Don't even start trying to drag religion into this.

OK then, if he wants his monotheistic views to be respected and handled with a little dignity, then I will certainly expect the same. I make no demands on anyone. Only Sticks and Stones can break my bones, so I don't give a fuck what anyone says or thinks about my personal views. If someone else wants to dish it out, I can take it but if they want to set boundaries, well that cuts both ways then.

Advertisement

muddyglass
dr. strangelove

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: fear and trembling

Postby muddyglass » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:28 am

Ntikrst wrote:
Wait a minute, I mentioned mills before internal combustion. Like I said, what technology did Arabs develop with their math and how far did they advance that technology?

the absurdity comes from mentioning the internal combustion engine in the first place, as if that were just a hop, skip and a jump away from mills. it cannot be reasonably expected for any ancient culture to develop the internal combustion engine.

i'm not as familiar with arab contributions to technology as i am with mathematics, but i looked it up just now and the arabs did indeed contribute to milling, creating the bridge mill and the vertical axis windmill. (note: the vertical axis windmill was created in persia, which is technically not arab.) scanning through this wikipedia page, i didn't realize the arabs were also the first to drink coffee and the first to apply frequency analysis to decode encrypted messages.

this discussion also reminded me of snell's law. ibn sahl was a persian mathematician/engineer who discovered the law regarding refraction that later came to be known as snell's law. it was a necessary step to harness the power of lenses. various applications including eyeglasses would be impossible without the development of this law.
Last edited by muddyglass on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
master ra's al ghul wrote:we sacked rome, loaded trade ships with plague rats, burned london to the ground. every time a civilization reaches the pinnacle of its decadence, we return to restore the balance.

muddyglass
dr. strangelove

Postby muddyglass » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:04 am

Ntikrst wrote:I wouldn't say that's an accurate interpretation.

well, if the "summer" chinese contribute just as much as the "winter" chinese to scientific/technological development in china, then that would put a damper on your whole winter/summer thing, wouldn't it? so what percentage of chinese scientific/engineering knowledge would you say the "winter" chinese of the north contribute? surely it has got to be over 50%. i mean, they survived harsher winters after all. maybe 75% is a nice number to distinguish the superiority of the "winter" chinese yet not completely discount the "summer" chinese?

Ntikrst wrote:The fact is, Winter makes forges practical. Things like that lead to better metallurgy and engineering. People have to work together because it's easy to die from exposure for weeks on end and there's not much to eat so agriculture and storage have to be more efficient. It's a type of incentive Equatorial cultures never had and that's why they have been playing catch up after the industrial revolution.

you make it sound as if winter were the only hardship faced by a people that could bring them together. since we're discussing china, the unifying hardship the chinese people face is not winter, but rather the fear of not having enough food for the population all across china, regardless of the severity of winter in each region. there are too many chinese on too little arable land and that's what drove agricultural/engineering developments as well as political ones. in chinese history, the ability of a ruler to feed the people was what makes and breaks emperors. the chinese people have been willing to accept autocratic rule for this reason, so long as the ruler gets things done. the chinese have been willing to accept new emperors who don't share the same bloodline as the old one for this reason, so long as the new emperor gets things done. even today, the chinese communist party could be "communist" in name only and the chinese people would not care, so long as the party gets things done.
master ra's al ghul wrote:we sacked rome, loaded trade ships with plague rats, burned london to the ground. every time a civilization reaches the pinnacle of its decadence, we return to restore the balance.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 80 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:14 am

Ntikrst wrote:
Right...because after Rome fell we never saw the like again anywhere else in the world. No empire ever sought to emulate their architecture, their governing principals or their academic knowledge.

Rome and Atlantis, both lost to the ages. :roll:

Except Atlantis never existed.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 139 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:56 pm

GiveWarAChance wrote:I would like to publicly apologize to GOSD if my comment about your wife offended you in anyway. You have every right to be angry and it won't happen again on my end. I agree that peoples families should be left out of this place. I'm sorry.

We are good. Thanks GWAC.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 224 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:01 pm

Ntikrst wrote:You're wrong about that too. Let's go to the instant replay:

See, Naicreman starts talkin shit first. Then I respond with:

It was THEN that he demands we draw boundaries:

OK then, if he wants his monotheistic views to be respected and handled with a little dignity, then I will certainly expect the same. I make no demands on anyone. Only Sticks and Stones can break my bones, so I don't give a fuck what anyone says or thinks about my personal views. If someone else wants to dish it out, I can take it but if they want to set boundaries, well that cuts both ways then.

No actually, what he did was post a video debunking your "religion", to which you did what you claim others (myself and muddyglass) have done and try to protect your ego etc. and you began insulting monotheism and atheism. When Nac rebuffed your religious argument by stating that religion has no place in the discussion, you proceeded to call him a "motherfucker" then apologized to the moderators as if you'd been victimized by what you perceived was Nac's ignorance. You also misconstrued Nac's argument as one about religion when he in fact was contributing to the anthropological debate occurring in this thread. I don't recall Nac talking about his monotheistic religion* at any point either. Again, you neglect much of what's actually going on to push you selective agenda, disrespecting others while demanding it for yourself. Its definitely not working for you.

*the monotheistic worship of Matt Ryan Conklin and his one true prophet Drew Magary

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 273 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:11 pm

Ntikrst is the strangest dude ever

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 556 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:22 pm

"Winter people" and "summer people" is the most brilliant disguise for overt racism I've ever seen. You're all even going along with it. :lol:
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:26 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:"Winter people" and "summer people" is the most brilliant disguise for overt racism I've ever seen. You're all even going along with it. :lol:

You summer folk have it easy compared to us winter folk.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 556 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:27 pm

Keb wrote:You summer folk have it easy compared to us winter folk.

LOL Canada.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

The Beast
cheese

Postby The Beast » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:53 pm

muddyglass wrote:
the absurdity comes from mentioning the internal combustion engine in the first place, as if that were just a hop, skip and a jump away from mills. it cannot be reasonably expected for any ancient culture to develop the internal combustion engine.

The watermill was invented by Romans and then separately by China. What did the Arabs invent that contributed to the foundation of further developments that ushered in the Industrial Revolution and the modern world everyone wants to enjoy? We're keeping score and in the grand scheme of things like the Renaissance, the Age of Enlightenment and the Industrial Revolution happened without significant contributions from Summer cultures based around the Equator.

BTW, Laws are discovered not invented.
Last edited by The Beast on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Beast
cheese

Postby The Beast » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:57 pm

muddyglass wrote:well, if the "summer" chinese contribute just as much as the "winter" chinese to scientific/technological development in china, then that would put a damper on your whole winter/summer thing, wouldn't it? so what percentage of chinese scientific/engineering knowledge would you say the "winter" chinese of the north contribute?

Good thing that isn't the case then. Vietnam isn't more technologically advanced than China, is it?
you make it sound as if winter were the only hardship faced by a people that could bring them together. since we're discussing china, the unifying hardship the chinese people face is not winter, but rather the fear of not having enough food for the population all across china, regardless of the severity of winter in each region.

Talk about skipping steps. Without significant technology, it's impossible to keep infant mortality rates low and have enough infrastructure to support a large population in the first place.
Last edited by The Beast on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:03 pm

Last time I checked, Chinese people got such large numbers by fucking a lot.

muddyglass
dr. strangelove

Postby muddyglass » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:06 pm

Ntikrst wrote:
The watermill was invented by Romans and then separately by China. What did the Arabs invent that contributed to the foundation of further developments that ushered in the Industrial Revolution and the modern world everyone wants to enjoy? We're keeping score, in the grand scheme of things like the Renaissance, the Age of Enlightenment and the Industrial Revolution happened without significant contributions from Summer cultures based around the Equator.

BTW, Laws are discovered not invented.

if you want to keep score, then the watermill was invented by the greeks and the romans appropriated the technology. similarly, roman mythology appropriated a lot from greek mythology. roman mathematics was also subpar compared to greek mathematics as far as significant developments are concerned. however, none of this would fit into your worldview since the greeks are summerfolk and the romans are winterfolk.

(i'm at work right now and actually edited out the word "invented" in favor of "discovered" a few minutes before your post. it was an oversight on my part because i wrote that earlier post in a rush this morning. i figured i needed to edit it because it was something you might nitpick. :lol:)

The Beast
cheese

Postby The Beast » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:08 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Except Atlantis never existed.

Did the Devil let you borrow his Time Machine?

You know, the one he used to go back in time and alter the legends of guys like Osiris and Dionysus to make it appear to pre-date The Christ's in order to test the faith of true believers later on?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum