Advertisement

White people, please explain pt. 2

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: White people, please explain pt. 2

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:34 pm

Ntikrst wrote:
Right...because after Rome fell we never saw the like again anywhere else in the world. No empire ever sought to emulate their architecture, their governing principals or their academic knowledge.

Rome and Atlantis, both lost to the ages. :roll:

Thank you for putting words in my mouth that I didn't say. As I said above, I'm aware of the impact that the Roman Empire had -- only an idiot would try to argue what you're trying to claim I am.

As I said in one of my first posts in this argument, you're sweeping away whole swaths of history simply because they don't fit into your theory and you seem to be treating these historic places as if they're meaningless. I've already mentioned that The areas in Timbuktu where the writings from the University of Timbuktu are now UNESCO World Heritage sites. As you can see in the post where I mentioned that, there's a reason for that, the writings are still considered to have great value to scholars. The reason for that is that they improved and advanced numerous subject including Mathematics and astronomy.

The Empire of Mali had an impact on today's world, not as much as Rome did, but it still had an impact. It still has a meaning which you seem to be denying it has.
Last edited by Stephen Day on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:41 pm

Deleted by me.
Last edited by Stephen Day on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 285 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:55 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:An older, more advanced civilization that was wiped out in a catastrophe is also a common myth that shars a lot with Atlantis (but not the name).

Can you give me some links here, T-storm? I'm being serious, that sounds interesting and I'd like to read more.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 184 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:03 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
Can you give me some links here, T-storm? I'm being serious, that sounds interesting and I'd like to read more.

Google the term Minoan, and you'll find many links to what many archaeologists think was the basis for the stories about "Atlantis", very advanced Mediterranean sea going culture that was devastated in a volcanic blast.

Hab

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:06 pm

habitual wrote:
Google the term Minoan, and you'll find many links to what many archaeologists think was the basis for the stories about "Atlantis", very advanced Mediterranean sea going culture that was devastated in a volcanic blast.

Hab

Oh, I know about the Minoan scenario, but I took from his post he meant non-Grecian histories and myths, who shared the same story....

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:11 pm

Lord Simian wrote:

Google "Helike", watch the recent BBC documentary.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:25 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Google "Helike", watch the recent BBC documentary.

Will do, thanks!

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Postby Thunderstorm » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:32 pm

Lord Simian wrote:

I really don't have a link, this came from reading about various mythologies and their gods. From the Hopi, to the Incans, and many more (even Easter Island), these 'Gods' were very much mortal, but high-tech. Think 100 years into our possible future and you get an idea.

Blending it all together, you get a story of a global civilization before what we consider ancient history. There was a massive catastrophe that destroyed the home of these Gods, whether a flood, volcano, earthquake, whatever. These people came back, went around the world, and kick started human civilization ensuring our species survival.

I've found common global myths for the Tower of Babel, Atlantis, and Noah's Ark. It's possible that unrelated cultures that never met came up with these general ideas, but the specific details are a bit too much to be coincidence.

Fingerprints of the Gods by Hancock is a good start. He's not an Ancient Aliens believer, but he's researching the same things minus the aliens. Even so, extraterrestrial origins of Man is another common theme in many of these myths.

And given that in the last year we've found evidence of submerged areas around England and India, it wouldn't surprise me if these 'myths' were validated in the near future. Probably not as fantastic as the myths, but I do believe there's more to these stories than just primitive ramblings.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:42 pm

Many if not most of the Mesopotamian or ice-age flood myths are sketchily covered in this wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_myth

If you're really interested, it gives you enough to build off of.

Regulator
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Regulator » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:02 pm

Ntikrist's rantings are pretty sad, but what's worse is that people think that wall of idiocy can be penetrated by rational discourse.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:10 pm

Regulator wrote:Ntikrist's rantings are pretty sad, but what's worse is that people think that wall of idiocy can be penetrated by rational discourse.

I know it's an uphill battle (or maybe upcliff), but in a strange way, it's kind of fun.

KingPagla
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 37 posts

Postby KingPagla » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:12 pm

"The Thirteenth Warrior" gets a bad rap, but it really wasn't that bad a movie.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:15 pm

KingPagla wrote:"The Thirteenth Warrior" gets a bad rap, but it really wasn't that bad a movie.

Yeah, it was a fun movie about the winter people.

muddyglass
dr. strangelove

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: fear and trembling

Postby muddyglass » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:23 pm

Regulator wrote:Ntikrist's rantings are pretty sad, but what's worse is that people think that wall of idiocy can be penetrated by rational discourse.

i actually just assume ntikrst is a performance artist and i'm having fun here. :lol:
master ra's al ghul wrote:we sacked rome, loaded trade ships with plague rats, burned london to the ground. every time a civilization reaches the pinnacle of its decadence, we return to restore the balance.

KingPagla
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 37 posts

Postby KingPagla » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:33 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
Yeah, it was a fun movie about the winter people.

And a more technologically advanced, civilized ambassador of the Summer Folk.
'

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum