Wednesday, September 28, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "Newsarama 2: Outhouse Boogaloo."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

IDW to Publish Comics of Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, and other Cartoon Network Shows

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:50 pm

Punchy wrote:
I just have a problem with all these comics adaptations of cartoons claiming to be for kids and therefore superior to superhero comics, when they are clearly for nostalgic adults.


Ah, evil marketers.

For these IDW books, ill wait and see.
User avatar

Herald

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Herald » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:53 pm

Punchy wrote:
Yeah, I've never heard of The Simpsons :roll:


You CLAIM that, yet everything you've previously said demonstrates otherwise.
And I note you didn't make the same claim about all those other examples I mentioned... :P

The cartoons in this thread, Powerpuff Girls, etc, are for kids.


The creators have often said that they deliberately aim for adults as well as children.
In fact, the ORIGINAL name for the Powerpuff Girls was "The Whoopa$$ Girls".
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:57 pm

Herald wrote:
You CLAIM that, yet everything you've previously said demonstrates otherwise.
And I note you didn't make the same claim about all those other examples I mentioned... :P



The creators have often said that they deliberately aim for adults as well as children.
In fact, the ORIGINAL name for the Powerpuff Girls was "The Whoopa$$ Girls".


I've seen all the others too. :P
User avatar

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:13 pm

Punchy wrote:
I just have a problem with all these comics adaptations of cartoons claiming to be for kids and therefore superior to superhero comics, when they are clearly for nostalgic adults.


Oh so you just are offended by people liking things. Okay.
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:23 am

Punchy wrote:
I just have a problem with all these comics adaptations of cartoons claiming to be for kids and therefore superior to superhero comics, when they are clearly for nostalgic adults.


Ideally, it would be good if there were more original concept kid-friendly books. But the publishers will only go where the markets take them.
User avatar

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:25 am

Herald wrote:
Thank you for further demonstrating your short-sightedness. :smt011

Right now, if children wanted to read mainstream DCnU/Marvel Universe comics, they COULDN'T. And why?? Because, paradoxically enough, creators and readers need to convince themselves that THEY are "Not kids anymore!" despite continuing to enjoy stories about people in colorful Halloween costumes hitting each other. So they have to have heroes and their foes cause nasty massacres, and Catwoman mounting Batman, both on-panel now.

Why should the kids lose out because you guys suffer from low self-esteem?? :roll:

Do I have to be the one to point out the irony here? I really don't want to be. :lol:
User avatar

Herald

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Herald » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:14 am

doombug wrote:Do I have to be the one to point out the irony here? I really don't want to be. :lol:


Apparently, you have to be the one incorrectly identifying irony. :P

You've clearly mistaken me for Sdsichero. MY self-esteem is quite high, as I've shown on numerous occasions, thank you very much. 8) For example, I'm currently lording it over YOU because of your incorrect identification of irony. (Now, THAT'S true irony! Be sure to remember how it works for future reference, okay! :wink:)

Also, as I already mentioned, I'm one of the people who does NOT need so-called "adult themes" like extreme, on-panel gore in my comics in order to justify continuing to read about gaudily-dressed superbeings past the age of 12. Again, if you do need that, YOU have a self-esteem issue.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
- C.S. Lewis

A TRUE adult isn't afraid to enjoy a few "childish" things out of fear of what others will think.

Next time, pay attention, Buggy; you might learn something.
Or, at least, you might properly identify a real case of irony. :P
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:35 am

You're really missing the point here. I have no problem with childish things, I just have a problem with grown-people aggressively preferring childish things. You need a balance.

I don't like infantilisation.
User avatar

Herald

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Herald » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:41 am

Punchy wrote:You're really missing the point here. I have no problem with childish things, I just have a problem with grown-people aggressively preferring childish things. You need a balance.

I don't like infantilisation.


Too bad everything you've said on this thread up to this point puts the lie to your claim. It's all been "Oh noes! Adults are going to enjoy something made for CHILDREN!! OH NOES!!" from your very first post. You haven't been interested at all in "balance" this ENTIRE TIME. :roll:

C.S. Lewis nailed you, and not in the way you might have enjoyed, either. :P
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:51 am

Punchy wrote:You're really missing the point here. I have no problem with childish things, I just have a problem with grown-people aggressively preferring childish things. You need a balance.

I don't like infantilisation.


The real problem is when the "childish things" are more well written and entertaining than the "adult things."
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:03 am

Juan Cena wrote:
The real problem is when the "childish things" are more well written and entertaining than the "adult things."


Are they though? A lot of people confuse good writing with 'not violent' and 'mildly amusing'.
User avatar

Pink_Orchid

The Virgin Connie Swail

Postby Pink_Orchid » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:07 pm

Punchy wrote:You're really missing the point here. I have no problem with childish things, I just have a problem with grown-people aggressively preferring childish things. You need a balance.

I don't like infantilisation.


Oh Punchy, don't ever change.
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:49 pm

Herald wrote:
Apparently, you have to be the one incorrectly identifying irony. :P

You've clearly mistaken me for Sdsichero. MY self-esteem is quite high, as I've shown on numerous occasions, thank you very much. 8) For example, I'm currently lording it over YOU because of your incorrect identification of irony. (Now, THAT'S true irony! Be sure to remember how it works for future reference, okay! :wink:)

Also, as I already mentioned, I'm one of the people who does NOT need so-called "adult themes" like extreme, on-panel gore in my comics in order to justify continuing to read about gaudily-dressed superbeings past the age of 12. Again, if you do need that, YOU have a self-esteem issue.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
- C.S. Lewis

A TRUE adult isn't afraid to enjoy a few "childish" things out of fear of what others will think.

Next time, pay attention, Buggy; you might learn something.
Or, at least, you might properly identify a real case of irony. :P


I like that CS Lewis quote.
User avatar

misac

Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:33 pm

They should do Young Justice. :P

Samurai Jack could be interesting. I would probably buy Justice Friends!
User avatar

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:56 pm

Punchy wrote:You're really missing the point here. I have no problem with childish things, I just have a problem with grown-people aggressively preferring childish things. You need a balance.


Did someone push one of these comics in your face or something?

Heh, Punchy preaching balance.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 66 guests