Advertisement

IDW to Publish Comics of Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, and other Cartoon Network Shows

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Re: IDW to Publish Comics of Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack,

Postby bkthomson » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:50 pm

Punchy wrote:
I just have a problem with all these comics adaptations of cartoons claiming to be for kids and therefore superior to superhero comics, when they are clearly for nostalgic adults.

Ah, evil marketers.

For these IDW books, ill wait and see.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Advertisement

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:53 pm

Punchy wrote:
Yeah, I've never heard of The Simpsons :roll:

You CLAIM that, yet everything you've previously said demonstrates otherwise.
And I note you didn't make the same claim about all those other examples I mentioned... :P

The cartoons in this thread, Powerpuff Girls, etc, are for kids.

The creators have often said that they deliberately aim for adults as well as children.
In fact, the ORIGINAL name for the Powerpuff Girls was "The Whoopa$$ Girls".

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:57 pm

Herald wrote:
You CLAIM that, yet everything you've previously said demonstrates otherwise.
And I note you didn't make the same claim about all those other examples I mentioned... :P

The creators have often said that they deliberately aim for adults as well as children.
In fact, the ORIGINAL name for the Powerpuff Girls was "The Whoopa$$ Girls".

I've seen all the others too. :P

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 883 posts
Title: Adventure is out there
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:13 pm

Punchy wrote:
I just have a problem with all these comics adaptations of cartoons claiming to be for kids and therefore superior to superhero comics, when they are clearly for nostalgic adults.

Oh so you just are offended by people liking things. Okay.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 214 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:23 am

Punchy wrote:

Ideally, it would be good if there were more original concept kid-friendly books. But the publishers will only go where the markets take them.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 275 posts

Postby doombug » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:25 am

Herald wrote:
Thank you for further demonstrating your short-sightedness. :smt011

Right now, if children wanted to read mainstream DCnU/Marvel Universe comics, they COULDN'T. And why?? Because, paradoxically enough, creators and readers need to convince themselves that THEY are "Not kids anymore!" despite continuing to enjoy stories about people in colorful Halloween costumes hitting each other. So they have to have heroes and their foes cause nasty massacres, and Catwoman mounting Batman, both on-panel now.

Why should the kids lose out because you guys suffer from low self-esteem?? :roll:

Do I have to be the one to point out the irony here? I really don't want to be. :lol:

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:14 am

doombug wrote:Do I have to be the one to point out the irony here? I really don't want to be. :lol:

Apparently, you have to be the one incorrectly identifying irony. :P

You've clearly mistaken me for Sdsichero. MY self-esteem is quite high, as I've shown on numerous occasions, thank you very much. 8) For example, I'm currently lording it over YOU because of your incorrect identification of irony. (Now, THAT'S true irony! Be sure to remember how it works for future reference, okay! :wink:)

Also, as I already mentioned, I'm one of the people who does NOT need so-called "adult themes" like extreme, on-panel gore in my comics in order to justify continuing to read about gaudily-dressed superbeings past the age of 12. Again, if you do need that, YOU have a self-esteem issue.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
- C.S. Lewis

A TRUE adult isn't afraid to enjoy a few "childish" things out of fear of what others will think.

Next time, pay attention, Buggy; you might learn something.
Or, at least, you might properly identify a real case of irony. :P

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:35 am

You're really missing the point here. I have no problem with childish things, I just have a problem with grown-people aggressively preferring childish things. You need a balance.

I don't like infantilisation.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:41 am

Punchy wrote:You're really missing the point here. I have no problem with childish things, I just have a problem with grown-people aggressively preferring childish things. You need a balance.

Too bad everything you've said on this thread up to this point puts the lie to your claim. It's all been "Oh noes! Adults are going to enjoy something made for CHILDREN!! OH NOES!!" from your very first post. You haven't been interested at all in "balance" this ENTIRE TIME. :roll:

C.S. Lewis nailed you, and not in the way you might have enjoyed, either. :P

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 214 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:51 am

Punchy wrote:You're really missing the point here. I have no problem with childish things, I just have a problem with grown-people aggressively preferring childish things. You need a balance.

The real problem is when the "childish things" are more well written and entertaining than the "adult things."

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:03 am

Juan Cena wrote:
The real problem is when the "childish things" are more well written and entertaining than the "adult things."

Are they though? A lot of people confuse good writing with 'not violent' and 'mildly amusing'.

Pink_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 167 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Pink_Orchid » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:07 pm

Oh Punchy, don't ever change.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 124 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:49 pm

Herald wrote:
Apparently, you have to be the one incorrectly identifying irony. :P

You've clearly mistaken me for Sdsichero. MY self-esteem is quite high, as I've shown on numerous occasions, thank you very much. 8) For example, I'm currently lording it over YOU because of your incorrect identification of irony. (Now, THAT'S true irony! Be sure to remember how it works for future reference, okay! :wink:)

Also, as I already mentioned, I'm one of the people who does NOT need so-called "adult themes" like extreme, on-panel gore in my comics in order to justify continuing to read about gaudily-dressed superbeings past the age of 12. Again, if you do need that, YOU have a self-esteem issue.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
- C.S. Lewis

A TRUE adult isn't afraid to enjoy a few "childish" things out of fear of what others will think.

Next time, pay attention, Buggy; you might learn something.
Or, at least, you might properly identify a real case of irony. :P

I like that CS Lewis quote.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 262 posts

Postby misac » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:33 pm

They should do Young Justice. :P

Samurai Jack could be interesting. I would probably buy Justice Friends!

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 883 posts
Title: Adventure is out there
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:56 pm

Did someone push one of these comics in your face or something?

Heh, Punchy preaching balance.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand