Advertisement

Uncle Rich has a Legion rumor.

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 130 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Uncle Rich has a Legion rumor.

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:31 am

Uncle Rich with the latest rumor how Levitz and DC are f**king up The Legion.

I understand that the makeup of the Legion Of Superheroes maybe undergoing a change shortly. That this ever expanding crew may be shrinking, in line with its original inspiration. In classic continuity, the Legion were inspired by the adventure of Superboy. That may be changing.

In the Legion Of Superheroes #18, we find the apparently deceased Sun Boy, portrayed in a fashion that doesn’t leave much room for doubt. This is one of the two issues that Keith Giffen worked on with Paul Levitz before he jumped ship (and even gets lead billing in the issue’s credits) and he does seem to have left his mark.

But just as the Justice League Of America have modelled and matched themselves to the Justice League, a counterpart for each, so the 31st Century Legion Of Superheroes will also begin to model themselves on the 21st century Justice League. A counterpart for each. A League Of Superheroes.

Start guessing who now. Though probably, just saying, not Sun Boy.

Give me a fracking break. This is worse than Johns trying to turn the Legion into the X-Men with the humans vs. aliens bulls**t in Action Comics.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/02/26/the-future-of-the-legion/

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Advertisement

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 36 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Re: Uncle Rich has a Legion rumor.

Postby bkthomson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:33 am

:smt102 I do not see anything wrong with this.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:40 am

bkthomson wrote::smt102 I do not see anything wrong with this.

How about the fact that DC is trying to turn it into more of a generic super-hero book, as opposed to exploiting the things that made Legion work in the first place?

The Legion started to go downhill when they tried to move away from the core concepts that made Legion work - A group of young adult super-heroes protecting the universe in an more positive future. When DC got away with that with an older team or with FYG, it didn't work out as well sales-wise.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby bkthomson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:42 am

Juan Cena wrote:
How about the fact that DC is trying to turn it into more of a generic super-hero book, as opposed to exploiting the things that made Legion work in the first place?

The Legion started to go downhill when they tried to move away from the core concepts that made Legion work - A group of young adult super-heroes protecting the universe in an more positive future. When DC got away with that with an older team or with FYG, it didn't work out as well sales-wise.

:smt017 , ok, but I'm still fine with it.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 280 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:43 am

Juan Cena wrote:

The Legion started to go downhill when the Legion started appearing.

guitargod694
Post Whore

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Total Spaceship Guy

Postby guitargod694 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:20 am

Juan Cena wrote:How about the fact that DC is trying to turn it into more of a generic super-hero book, as opposed to exploiting the things that made Legion work in the first place?

I honestly don't think there exists a large enough fan base for "the things that made Legion work in the first place". It's just not a group/book that people care about anymore. DC is trying to make it work anyway... which I think is also foolish. Just stop publishing it for 5-10 years. See if people miss it. When someone has a compelling pitch for it, try it out again.

Lord Simian wrote:The Legion started to go downhill when the Legion started appearing.

Pretty much.
-Bill-

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:46 am

Why do you do this to yourself, Nac? :lol:

And if it were me, I'd just go ahead and replace the Legion with the DC 1,000,000 JL. As much as you snap at WB and DC, they have given that franchise every possible chance

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 172 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:49 am

False Prophet wrote:Why do you do this to yourself, Nac? :lol:

Because Nac is the personification of one hand clapping. The master at posting things no one cares about.

Hab

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:03 pm

False Prophet wrote:Why do you do this to yourself, Nac? :lol:

And if it were me, I'd just go ahead and replace the Legion with the DC 1,000,000 JL. As much as you snap at WB and DC, they have given that franchise every possible chance

DC has done more to undermine Legion than given it chances to succeed. Like letting Meltzer and Johns "bring back" their "classic Legion" with Lightning Saga, and stabbing Mark Waid in the back in the process.

- Sons of the Desert

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby bkthomson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:25 pm

Yeah, Legion needs to take a nap for a year or two.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:30 pm

And figure out what Legion concept works for this day and age. This isn't the 70s or 80s, with the forms of teen rebellion and inspiration that came with those eras, and you also can't treat Legion like the JL, Titans, or X-Men.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:37 pm

guitargod694 wrote:
I honestly don't think there exists a large enough fan base for "the things that made Legion work in the first place". It's just not a group/book that people care about anymore. DC is trying to make it work anyway... which I think is also foolish. Just stop publishing it for 5-10 years. See if people miss it. When someone has a compelling pitch for it, try it out again.

Pretty much.

And the reason that not a lot of people don't care about the book anymore is because DC kept going away from what made the Legion work in the first place. It kept doing things like FYG (too dark) , or the Archie Legion (which failed in the end because it was too half-baked).

I liked the Threeboot, and thought in many ways it was going in the right directions, but a lot of hardline fans didn't.

So DC rebooted the "classic" team, but even that suffered from too many stops and starts, and being so half-baked in it's conception.

- Sons of the Desert

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:38 pm

bkthomson wrote:Yeah, Legion needs to take a nap for a year or two.

Sadly, it'll probably go away for longer than that if it's axed.

- Sons of the Desert

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:44 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Sadly, it'll probably go away for longer than that if it's axed.

Naw, I think there are a lot of creators who'd love to pitch ideas. The concept wouldn't be dead for longer than 2-3 years.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:46 pm

False Prophet wrote:And figure out what Legion concept works for this day and age. This isn't the 70s or 80s, with the forms of teen rebellion and inspiration that came with those eras, and you also can't treat Legion like the JL, Titans, or X-Men.

Only problem with that was that Legion was never really into teenage rebellion back in the day. Especially not at the start. The Threeboot was all about the Legionaires trying to change a society that had gotten too reserved and self-oppressive, but it wasn't everybody's cup of tea. (ironically, it may have been a few years ahead of it's time.)

But you're right. Trying to make Legion more like X-Men or JLA or the comic book trend de jour hasn't worked in the past.

- Sons of the Desert

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand