Friday, September 30, 2016 • Evening Edition • "At least we're not Multiversity!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Uncle Rich has a Legion rumor.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:47 pm

False Prophet wrote:
Naw, I think there are a lot of creators who'd love to pitch ideas. The concept wouldn't be dead for longer than 2-3 years.



So where are they now? DC should be out looking for them instead of sticking with Levitz.
User avatar

superfictious

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:03 pm

Juan Cena wrote:

So where are they now? DC should be out looking for them instead of sticking with Levitz.


Maybe they don't want to actively pitch for a book that has a full-time writer. :smt102
User avatar

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:11 pm

Maybe they are. I mean, it's remiss of them not to keep Nac personally abreast of all their decisions, but sometimes the chain of communication from management to editor to crazily obsessive monomaniac can break down inexplicably. It's inconvenient, but what can you do?
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:29 pm

False Prophet wrote:
Maybe they don't want to actively pitch for a book that has a full-time writer. :smt102


Then DC could help move things along by Firing Levitz. There is absolutely no reason to keep him around with sales figures the way they are unless the stories about his being on the book was part of his severance package were true.
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:31 pm

nietoperz wrote:Maybe they are. I mean, it's remiss of them not to keep Nac personally abreast of all their decisions, but sometimes the chain of communication from management to editor to crazily obsessive monomaniac can break down inexplicably. It's inconvenient, but what can you do?


Do you have anything productive to add to the conversation besides taking shots at me?
User avatar

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:42 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Do you have anything productive to add to the conversation besides taking shots at me?


Dude you've been beating this dead horse for so long it's beyond old.

It's probably safe to assume at this point that what you're asking Nieto isn't mutually exclusive.

Hab
User avatar

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Do you have anything productive to add to the conversation besides taking shots at me?


A similar phrased question could be ask of you as well.
User avatar

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:51 pm

Nu-Superman never was a "Superboy" and since he really wasn't accepted publicly until just before or when he joined the JL .. so maybe .. the Legion will now model themselves after "Superman and the JL".
Makes sense and Superman is still part of that.
User avatar

superfictious

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:30 pm

nietoperz wrote:Maybe they are. I mean, it's remiss of them not to keep Nac personally abreast of all their decisions, but sometimes the chain of communication from management to editor to crazily obsessive monomaniac can break down inexplicably. It's inconvenient, but what can you do?


:lol: Ouch.


Juan Cena wrote:Then DC could help move things along by Firing Levitz. There is absolutely no reason to keep him around with sales figures the way they are unless the stories about his being on the book was part of his severance package were true.


Have sales bottomed out? I haven't been keeping up but I thought they'd leveled, but DC might not want to cancel the book unless it becomes an unmitigated disaster, out of respect for Levitz and the franchise itself.

IvCNuB4 wrote:Nu-Superman never was a "Superboy" and since he really wasn't accepted publicly until just before or when he joined the JL .. so maybe .. the Legion will now model themselves after "Superman and the JL".
Makes sense and Superman is still part of that.


It does make sense. But it that's not what's going to happen, it might not be so crazy to have them model themselves after the current New 52 Superboy. Lobdell-influences aside, it could be an interesting change.
User avatar

dairydead

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby dairydead » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:34 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
How about the fact that DC is trying to turn it into more of a generic super-hero book, as opposed to exploiting the things that made Legion work in the first place?

The Legion started to go downhill when they tried to move away from the core concepts that made Legion work - A group of young adult super-heroes protecting the universe in an more positive future. When DC got away with that with an older team or with FYG, it didn't work out as well sales-wise.


you're assuming that the Legion ever "worked"
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:54 pm

False Prophet wrote:
:lol: Ouch.




Have sales bottomed out? I haven't been keeping up but I thought they'd leveled, but DC might not want to cancel the book unless it becomes an unmitigated disaster, out of respect for Levitz and the franchise itself.


Nope. They keep getting lower and lower (Zero month notwithstanding).

IvCNuB4 wrote:Nu-Superman never was a "Superboy" and since he really wasn't accepted publicly until just before or when he joined the JL .. so maybe .. the Legion will now model themselves after "Superman and the JL".
Makes sense and Superman is still part of that.


It does make sense. But it that's not what's going to happen, it might not be so crazy to have them model themselves after the current New 52 Superboy. Lobdell-influences aside, it could be an interesting change.[/quote]

Morrison decided to f**k things up for the Legion even further by having him be involved with an alternate version of the Legion. And neither he or anybody else at DC decided to try to do anything to make it jive with the current "classic" team.
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:56 pm

dairydead wrote:
you're assuming that the Legion ever "worked"


Yes, there was a time Legion did root. It had a big following in the 60's and 70's.

Do some research before you decide to be a troll.
User avatar

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:57 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
And the reason that not a lot of people don't care about the book anymore is because DC kept going away from what made the Legion work in the first place. It kept doing things like FYG (too dark) , or the Archie Legion (which failed in the end because it was too half-baked).

I liked the Threeboot, and thought in many ways it was going in the right directions, but a lot of hardline fans didn't.

So DC rebooted the "classic" team, but even that suffered from too many stops and starts, and being so half-baked in it's conception.


No. What you're missing is, nobody has cared about the Legion, ever. Maybe for s VERY short period in the 70's or early 80's, but consistent enough to use the phrase "what made them work in the first place"?

What you're deliberately ignoring in your zeal to rant about how the Legion is fucked by DC, is that ALL of those reworkings you claim broke the franchise? They wouldn't have HAPPENED if anyone gave a shit about the legion. If people had been buying the book, it wouldn't have needed fixing. It sucked then. The fact that it sucked AFTER the reboot doesn't change that. Polish a turd all you like, it's still shit.

They're going to keep trying to find a formula that makes money. Nothing's going to change that. And nothing they do with the legion is ever going to make you happy, cause they will not publish your fanfiction legion, where the team is made up of young guys and girls all named Ryan, from the planet Magary, fighting against the Frightful Pu$$ies. :twisted:
User avatar

dairydead

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby dairydead » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:01 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Yes, there was a time Legion did root. It had a big following in the 60's and 70's.

Do some research before you decide to be a troll.


Not being a troll. I "researched" my personal taste, and realized that the concept of the Legion is something i don't care for.
User avatar

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:10 pm

I know Nac will accuse me of trolling but I really don't care at this point.

Flat out dude, you are the sole culprit of making me never want to read a legion book again.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 60 guests