Advertisement

Uncle Rich has a Legion rumor.

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Re: Uncle Rich has a Legion rumor.

Postby mrorangesoda » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:14 pm

dairydead wrote:
you're assuming that the Legion ever "worked"

I thought the cartoon was pretty fun. I then made the mistake of trying to read some of the comics.

Advertisement

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:45 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
No. What you're missing is, nobody has cared about the Legion, ever. Maybe for s VERY short period in the 70's or early 80's, but consistent enough to use the phrase "what made them work in the first place"?

First off if that were true the Legion would have gone 30 or 40 fracking years ago. Instead, it's managed almost to be a monthly comic in some form or another for pretty much 40 years (not counting it's Adventure and Action runs). It was popular enough that it ran Superboy out of his own book.

Second, it was popular enough that it was one of the books picked (along with New Teen Titans) to go to the Baxter format experiment (which ultimately screwed up sales on both books).

What you're deliberately ignoring in your zeal to rant about how the Legion is fucked by DC, is that ALL of those reworkings you claim broke the franchise? They wouldn't have HAPPENED if anyone gave a shit about the legion. If people had been buying the book, it wouldn't have needed fixing. It sucked then. The fact that it sucked AFTER the reboot doesn't change that. Polish a turd all you like, it's still shit.

No, what happened was that DC's constant rebooting and f**king around with the book eventually caused readers to drop it.

As for it sucking, go try to find a copy of The Great Darkness Saga (preferably the newer HC version with the bonus material). Or go looks for some of the books from the 70's when Bates and Shooter were writing, and Grell was artist, and then tell me it sucked.

They're going to keep trying to find a formula that makes money. Nothing's going to change that. And nothing they do with the legion is ever going to make you happy, cause they will not publish your fanfiction legion, where the team is made up of young guys and girls all named Ryan, from the planet Magary, fighting against the Frightful Pu$$ies. :twisted:

This is obviously wrong. I liked Waid's stuff with the Threeboot. I saw a few signs of life with Levitz before Flashpoint, which sadly didn't continue with Nu-52.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 20 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:12 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
How about the fact that DC is trying to turn it into more of a generic super-hero book, as opposed to exploiting the things that made Legion work in the first place?

The Legion started to go downhill when they tried to move away from the core concepts that made Legion work - A group of young adult super-heroes protecting the universe in an more positive future. When DC got away with that with an older team or with FYG, it didn't work out as well sales-wise.

What idea, in sure its an extremely outdated one at that, did they exploit in the first place?

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby dairydead » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:16 pm

Juan Cena wrote:No, what happened was that DC's constant rebooting and f**king around with the book eventually caused readers to drop it.

This is a HUGE assumption, especially when you are basing your entire argument on it. There's no way to reinforce your assumption either. So here we are, talking about something no one has any way of knowing is even close to being true. Here we are reading paragraphs upon paragraphs of you defending your giant assumption as facts, despite the fact that even the anecdotal evidence around here (many posters here don't even like the conceptof the Legion) flies against it. Do you not understand how silly you come across when you do this?
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:16 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:
What idea, in sure its an extremely outdated one at that, did they exploit in the first place?

Come again? I think there's a typo or two in that sentence.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

guitargod694
Rorshach Test Subject

Title: Total Spaceship Guy

Postby guitargod694 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:18 pm

Juan Cena wrote:No, what happened was that DC's constant rebooting and f**king around with the book eventually caused readers to drop it.

I'm being serious... I've only read a handful of legion comics and didn't like any of them, so I genuinely don't know... was this book genuinely 'fucked with' more than most DC properties over the past 40 years? Comics get rebooted. Comics get 'fucked with'. Batman, Superman, Justice League... these books don't have a following because they've remained the same for 40+ years and DC has never 'fucked with' them.
-Bill-

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:07 pm

dairydead wrote:
This is a HUGE assumption, especially when you are basing your entire argument on it. There's no way to reinforce your assumption either. So here we are, talking about something no one has any way of knowing is even close to being true. Here we are reading paragraphs upon paragraphs of you defending your giant assumption as facts, despite the fact that even the anecdotal evidence around here (many posters here don't even like the conceptof the Legion) flies against it. Do you not understand how silly you come across when you do this?

Here's where sales were six years ago, threeboot

56 Supergirl & Losh 26 $2.99 DC 32,340

Here's where they are now
122 Legion of Super Heroes 16 $2.99 DC 16,496

Big difference, eh?

- Sons of the Desert

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:25 pm

guitargod694 wrote:
I'm being serious... I've only read a handful of legion comics and didn't like any of them, so I genuinely don't know... was this book genuinely 'fucked with' more than most DC properties over the past 40 years? Comics get rebooted. Comics get 'fucked with'. Batman, Superman, Justice League... these books don't have a following because they've remained the same for 40+ years and DC has never 'fucked with' them.

DC hasn't treated Superman or Justice League with as many radical rebooting or retoolings as have happened with Legion. (NU-52 notwithstanding)

Plus, when the retoolings worked with Man of Steel and JLA, for example, they worked because they got the books closer to their roots and not further away.

- Sons of the Desert

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Postby dairydead » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:25 pm

Juan Cena wrote:

Big difference, eh?

Ok. That has absolutely nothing to do with what i said. :smt102

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:29 pm

I don't think the LOSH has moved away from its "core concepts" so much as the rest of the entire world has, and in the larger world of science fiction as well. People no longer extrapolate the same naive visions of the distant future as they did in the LOSH's pulp prime. It's an anachronism, losing relevancy more and more each day outside of a nostalgic few.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

guitargod694
Rorshach Test Subject

Title: Total Spaceship Guy

Postby guitargod694 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:30 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
DC hasn't treated Superman or Justice League with as many radical rebooting or retoolings as have happened with Legion. (NU-52 notwithstanding)

Plus, when the retoolings worked with Man of Steel and JLA, for example, they worked because they got the books closer to their roots and not further away.

Electric blue Superman disagrees.
And while it ended up working out fine, JLI was a pretty big deal, too. Since it took away almost all of the usual suspects for a Justice League roster.

Perhaps not reboots... but 'fuck with's to be sure.

Also, like you said, Legion has been published almost continuously for 40 years.
Other than you not liking what they do with it... what's your effing point?
If DC was trying to kill it off by ruining it... they could just do it.

"Comic book steadily loses readership over last 20 years despite efforts to re-invigorate the franchise" is hardly a headline unique to Legion....
-Bill-

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Postby dairydead » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:32 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I don't think the LOSH has moved away from its "core concepts" so much as the rest of the entire world has, and in the larger world of science fiction as well. People no longer extrapolate the same naive visions of the distant future as they did in the LOSH's pulp prime. It's an anachronism, losing relevancy more and more each day.

Right. Are we to assume that tastes within society just don't evolve? Is there an argument here that, for example, Howdy Doody would still be popular if it just stuck with the same formula throughout these years?

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:38 pm

Juan Cena wrote:

Big difference, eh?

So it went from sub-par sales to cancel level sales?

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 80 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:42 pm

I keep reading this thread title as saying Rich has a lesion and a tumor, and I become momentarily concerned for him.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 13 posts

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:43 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I keep reading this thread title as saying Rich has a lesion and a tumor, and I become momentarily concerned for him.

I kept reading "tumor" also :lol:
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand