Friday, May 27, 2016 • Morning Edition • "The place to talk some shit."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

DC Comics Named Publisher of The Year By Diamond Comics Distributors

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:26 pm

DC Comics Named Publisher of The Year By Diamond Comics Distributors

This marks DC's fourth Win in a row

Source: Newsarama

Each year  Diamond Comics Distributors names their Diamond Gem Awards to Publishers based on  "quality, creativity, and overall sales impact".  The nominations are then voted on by comic book specialty retailers that subscribe to Diamond's service.

DC Comics has once again swept away the prestigous Publisher of the Year for the "Over 4% Market Share" category.  

DC Comics also took the Backlist Publisher of the Year Award.

Always-The-Bridesmaid Marvel Comics, who had their last win in 2008, managed to snag the Top Dollar Comic Book Publisher award for Amazing Spider-Man #700, featuring  the soon-to-be-retconned "death of Peter Parker" that raped fan-boy pockets with a whopping $7.99 price gouge.

When reached for comment, a Marvel representative stated "we have high hopes for next year when Diamond hopefully will add a category we can win in, like Marketing Strategy Most Likely  Developed By Catty Teenage Girls". 

Full details and a list of other gracious winners can be found in this article by Newsarama.

Written or Contributed by IvCNuB4

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:31 pm

Phew! I was hoping we'd publish something today to balance my claims in another article that Dan Didio clubs baby seals in order to print comics on their skin.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:33 pm

:lol:

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:37 pm

I'm pretty sure Marvel are happy with the 'Selling the most Comics' Award and this was just Diamond throwing DC a pity bone.

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:41 pm

Also:

featuring the soon-to-be-retconned "death of Peter Parker" that raped fan-boy pockets with a whopping $7.99 price gouge.

:lol: :lol:

alaska1125

dINGO

Postby alaska1125 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:07 pm

So apparently quality doesn't factor in...

Herald

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Herald » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:21 pm

alaska1125 wrote:So apparently quality doesn't factor in...

Neither does creativity...

misac

Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:28 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Also:

:lol: :lol:

oogy

Zombie Guard

Postby oogy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:41 pm

Valiant and Dark Horse would be my picks with DC & Image tied for third.

holtom2000

dINGO

Postby holtom2000 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:58 pm

There's a great conversation about this on Newsarama's facebook site
Their question - challenge, as it were - to us non fans of the reboot was how do we reconcile this accolade and sales successes with our dislike of the current product
my simple answer was to only buy DC trades from before the reboot, and not buy any new DC product
I know NuDC has its fans, but I also really scratch my head when people crow about sales - especially Justice League
This is a title that has been sabatoged by editorial for years, dating all the way back to the 'every creator's got a great arc' era after Kelley's run (which I liked). There was a blip there when Metzler got his dream year, but right after that DC basically screwed over McDuffie, and at the end they had Robinson writing a mort/c-lister league.
Gee, then they put their biggest guns and best creators on the book in the reboot, and it sells well? Go figure.
Congrats to DC on the win - I guess.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to read my BATO trade. Love me some Barr and Aparo.

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:44 pm

Well good for DC but if there was an award for Best Comic Publisher to Work for DC would be at the bottom.

holtom2000

dINGO

Postby holtom2000 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 pm

bkthomson wrote:Well good for DC but if there was an award for Best Comic Publisher to Work for DC would be at the bottom.

Unless your Geoff johns :)

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:15 am

Wait a sec....4th win is a row?

Seems legit.

alaska1125

dINGO

Postby alaska1125 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:51 am

fieldy snuts wrote:Wait a sec....4th win is a row?

Seems legit.

Well, if you are considering the free drugs and hookers that DC must be plying...then yes. Agreed. It's literally the only answer.

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:06 am

Something new cracks me up every time I look at this.

When reached for comment, a Marvel representative stated "we have high hopes for next year when Diamond hopefully will add a category we can win in, like Marketing Strategy Most Likely Developed By Catty Teenage Girls".

On another note, I wonder if Diamond is surprised this didn't cause more controversy. They hadn't considered that no one cared enough about the awards to get too mad about who won.

leave a comment with facebook