Advertisement

Dan Jurgens Accepts Challenge, Will Make Fury of Firestorm Even Worse

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby LOLtron » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:12 pm

The beleaguered creator's goal is to get the book canned early, before its May cancellation date.

Source: Comicbook.com

DC Comics has really put poor Dan Jurgens through the ringer since the launch of the Nu52. First, the company canceled Justice League International. Then they replaced Jurgens with Scott Lobdell on Superman. Most recently, the company announced that Jurgens' only remaining book, Fury of Firestorm the Nuclear Man, would be canceled in may, a shocker to fans everywhere who were surprised to learn the book was still being published.

Still, Jurgens is doing his best to keep a positive attitude. The creator sat down for an interview with Comicbook.com's Lead Joseph Gordon-Levitt Casting Rumor Correspondent Russ Burlingame for an interview about the latest issue of the book. The Outhouse sent our star shock blogger, ThanosCopter, to read the interview and report back to us, but erstwhile officially licensed supervillain vehicle was late for an appointment to have his filters changed at Jiffy Lube, so he haphazardly texted us a bunch of quotes, and we've had to no choice but to make our best guess at what questions Jurgens was responding to.

While we've tried our best to reconstruct the dialog as accurately as possible, we admit we may have taken some liberties, so please do check out the original interview at Comicbook.com for better context.

On whether he will try to improve the book despite its impending cancelation:

Things will continue to worsen!

On whether he plans to challenge his hated rival Scott Lobdell to a fistfight for stealing his Superman job:

Not really. I’ve known Scott a long time and we tend to be a cooperative bunch these days.

On where a sixty year old man finds inspiration to write about teen heroes:

My experience has always been that teenage guys are always hungry.

On how he responds to critics who point out he's been fired from or seen canceled three books in two years:

Well, I’ll just go jump inside that helicopter and tell those guys to leave me alone ‘cuz I’m a good guy!

On what kind of positive, proactive effort he plans to make to prevent the premature cancelation of future books:

A sales bump is always hoped for.

On whether Warner Bros. made a mistake not casting Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Superman in the upcoming Man of Steel movie:

Exactly right. But, there again, kids just don’t get it. Not unlike the current cheating scandal at Harvard. (Best and brightest, my ass.)

Again, we apologize if we mistakenly took any of these quotes out of context. We'll be sure to remind ThanosCopter to text us the questions next time instead of just the answers, especially when dealing with a respected industry veteran and talented creator like Dan Jurgens.

Go read the full interview here.

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 103 posts

Re: Dan Jurgens Accepts Challenge, Will Make Fury of Firesto

Postby holtom2000 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:51 pm

Poor Dan. Big fan, but I really can't bring myself to pick up his current DC work
If DC gave him a Booster Gold book again where he remembers how Barry Allen screwed up, and pre-reboot Michelle, Skeets, Rip and Ted Kord showed up, I would get back on board.
I know... fat chance

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:38 pm

I think we need to start a thread to explore the ways this will affect the Legion and how much it's *&#($ing it up.

Hab

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:42 pm

I really feel bad for Dan, while nice to see him as a go to guy for DC it has to be difficult to really get into characters on books that have a shelf life of maybe 4 to 6 issues when he jumps on. The man does not do flashy work but it is good quality stuff.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 150 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:56 am

One can make many claims about the Nu52, but Jurgen's making the current Firestorm worse ain't one of 'em. This coming from a self professed Firestorm fan.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:42 am

Hmm, I find it hard to believe that CB.com actually has an interview or something almost like real reporting up. They normally only run fluff and speculation. Must have been a mistake.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby bkthomson » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:48 am

xaraan wrote:Hmm, I find it hard to believe that CB.com actually has an interview or something almost like real reporting up. They normally only run fluff and speculation. Must have been a mistake.

If the report came from who i think it is, then this is valid since he has good contact with Jurgens.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:50 am

Oh, I'm not saying it's not an actual interview, just poking fun. I have no doubt people that do fluff pieces will do fluff interviews.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1176 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:11 am

Russ has a running interview series with Jurgens.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby bkthomson » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:18 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Russ has a running interview series with Jurgens.

Yep, he's been nice to me. Jude, not so much. :-)

Pink_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 167 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Pink_Orchid » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:20 am

Jurgens is not a happy camper this morning on Twitter. I am not sure to which "news" site he is referring to.

If you're going to write something that uses anyone else's name, or even imply names through a story, man up and put your name on it.

And if you have a supposed "news" site, then have some standards. Don't play in the shadow of anonymity.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:24 am

Black_Orchid wrote:Jurgens is not a happy camper this morning on Twitter. I am not sure to which "news" site he is referring to.

Thinking that refers to BleedingCool's new columnist "Sterling Archer", who's allegedly a big name comic book writer.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1176 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:54 am

Yeah, no one would classify us as a news site. More like hive of scrum and villainy.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby bkthomson » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:56 am

BlueMole wrote:
Thinking that refers to BleedingCool's new columnist "Sterling Archer", who's allegedly a big name comic book writer.

this one? http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/02/27/ ... -sterling/

Pink_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 167 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Pink_Orchid » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:02 pm

Oooo, drama, I like it. :D

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand