Advertisement

In modern comics, should there really be a Robin anymore?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 274 posts

Re: In modern comics, should there really be a Robin anymore

Postby Draco x » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:29 pm

Tough call here. It depends how well written each Robin is as a character as opposed to being relegated to being Batman's errand boy.

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 295 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:34 pm

Punchy wrote:
I don't want to do an Avengers movie and insult adopted people, but being his biological son since the beginning is different from having a retconned-in adoption. For most of Dick Grayson's history, he was just a 'ward'.

Yeah but Bruce didn't even know he had a son until he (Damian) started acting the fool and Talia had to bring him to the Batcave to straighten him up.

David Bird
phrase IV

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby David Bird » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:52 pm

Punchy wrote:
I don't want to do an Avengers movie and insult adopted people, but being his biological son since the beginning is different from having a retconned-in adoption. For most of Dick Grayson's history, he was just a 'ward'.

True, but it wasn't technically a retcon. When he adopted Tim he decided to formally adopt Dick too.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:02 pm

It seems like Robin is always well received whenever they introduce a new one. Tim Drake even managed to carry his own book for 20 years. So I think readers accept and like the concept.

I think the Robin role is also a vehicle to show Batman's influence through the greater DC Universe, with Robins usually having a role in Teen Titans as well.

As a concept on its own, I think it works....the Dark Knight's squire and all. I think it works a bit better when Robin is a teenager, though. About 16, I'd say. It's just easier to imagine somebody at that age legitimately being able to kick an adults ass.

That's not to say I didn't think Damien was/is awesome, though. I think that character showed you could do some really unique things with the concept if you have an interesting idea for it.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 133 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:59 pm

Honestly, if they just keep killing them off, I'm all for a Robin moratorium at this point.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand