Advertisement

Indestructible Hulk, whaddya think?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 445 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: Indestructible Hulk, whaddya think?

Postby Keb » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:45 pm

I don't get the whole "Byrne-stealing" thing. Half of these fucking comics are written so that you can read them in 2 to 5 minutes, so why get upset when someone reads a comic in 2 minutes while standing next to the rack?

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:59 pm

Keb wrote:I don't get the whole "Byrne-stealing" thing. Half of these fucking comics are written so that you can read them in 2 to 5 minutes, so why get upset when someone reads a comic in 2 minutes while standing next to the rack?

It's easier to read it off your computer then delete it.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:05 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
It's easier to read it off your computer then delete it.

Oh, you mean "previewing"? :wink:

No what I mean is that if you don't want people to stand at the rack and read the comic in two minutes, don't write the comic so that it can be read in two minutes. Every time I read old school comics, I can read maybe two or three issues and I'm tired. With new comics, I can read like 10 issues in one sitting, get up, poop, make a snack and read another six or seven issues.

Shit is weak!

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 154 posts
Title: Deviant by design

Postby Lord Ice » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:16 pm

Some of us ain't Evelyn Wood trained and need time to read a comic.

Real problem is, you can spend half an hour reading one and later, you can't remember what happened in it. That's how unmemorable comics are now.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:20 pm

Keb wrote:Oh, you mean "previewing"? :wink:

No what I mean is that if you don't want people to stand at the rack and read the comic in two minutes, don't write the comic so that it can be read in two minutes. Every time I read old school comics, I can read maybe two or three issues and I'm tired. With new comics, I can read like 10 issues in one sitting, get up, poop, make a snack and read another six or seven issues.

Shit is weak!

You take a reading break by pooping?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:20 pm

Not dissing slow readers really though. But hurry up already!

For real though, we are in the same camp. The writing has really dipped in terms of content. It makes me think the value of these things isn't really worth what you pay for in a sense that what could have costed you 35 cents 40 years ago now costs you about $12-24 nowadays.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:21 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
You take a reading break by pooping?

Yeah. I usually do my emails, facebooking and outhousing on the can.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 150 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:41 pm

This is shaping up to be one of my favorite takes on the Hulk. It feels like a natural progression and I love that Banner is basically stepping up to the plate and using his genius and his alter-ego in the service of S.H.I.E.L.D. I love the done-in-one's that are clearly building to a bigger story but are pretty accessable as single issues. In a nutshell, I'm a fan.

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 31 posts

Postby UnionJack » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:00 pm

Lord Ice wrote:
Real problem is, you can spend half an hour reading one and later, you can't remember what happened in it. That's how unmemorable comics are now.

This is sadly true which is why I'm trying to stop habit-buying & just get those titles which still stand out.
Seems Waid does 'stand-out' books. Look forward to Green Hornet.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:44 am

Still enjoying this book, except for Yu's art. He isn't good at depicting action scenes. That underwater fight in last issue was choppy, lacked all momentum.

Sunless
crash test dummy

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: THE Sunless

Postby Sunless » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:56 am

Dropped it after issue one. It didn't wow me and I had to make a huge culling anyway.

I may come back to it, because I may have been unfair. I was expecting something DD amazing.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 653 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:48 am

Sunless wrote:Dropped it after issue one. It didn't wow me and I had to make a huge culling anyway.

I may come back to it, because I may have been unfair. I was expecting something DD amazing.

After DD, Hulk is definitely a let down (especially in the art)(but also the story...)

I'm just not accepting of this new Banner. His ego is just too drastic a change for me to recognize him. He's taking delight in the fear he causes people about the possibility of him Hulking up. It strikes me as sadistic.

And then there things like Hill saying that SHIELD isn't equipped for under water battle that just pulls this old time comic fan right out of the story. First - it's SHIELD! and for SHIELD to be ill-prepared for Atlantis or Lemurian attacks is just stupid. Second, SHIELD made an underwater attack as early as 1966 (Strange Tales #146) and an actual Helicarrier was deployed underwater in Jurgen's Captaiun America #46 (2001) . Yes, this is complete nitpicking - but this is Mark Waid, who is as much a historian of comics as he is a writer. He should know better.

And while I'm on the nitpicking...
The Chinese have an aquacarrier but we aren't even "equipped for under water war" (despite my evidence to the contrary)?
Isn't Banner the guy who was just insane a few weeks ago (MU time) during Aaron's run? And SHIELD trusts him with the only known piece of Uru?
The very moment Banner is on the Chinese carrier, he's basically attacked. Yet oh so noticeably convenient, he only Hulks up the moment he's ejected. :roll:

As I said, stuff like this just pulls me out of the book. This doesn't happen with Waid's Daredevil. And that's why, to me, Indestructible Hulk is by far the lesser book of the two.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:06 am

I didn't really understand the Chinese thing, either. I'm hoping that Hill was lying to Banner about that for some reason.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 137 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:19 am

That's dumb, there's a number of stories with SHIELD submarines.

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1030 posts

Postby HNutz » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:51 am

Victorian Squid wrote:That's dumb, there's a number of stories with SHIELD submarines.

Maybe Hill doesn't want Banner to Hulk out and wreck a SHIELD submarine, but she won't lose sleep if a Japanese ship gets totalled?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand