Advertisement

Worst remakes of movies?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 254 posts
Title: Bitch, I'm fabulous
Formerly: Log-Man

Re: Worst remakes of movies?

Postby Mr. Log » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:41 am

Rockman wrote:
Rocky IV was a product of its time as well, but it's still great. Also it ended the cold war.

No, it really isn't. :lol:

Advertisement

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:01 pm

Log-Man wrote:

I must break you.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 598 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:09 pm

Log-Man wrote:

:shock: :smt011

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:20 pm

Keb wrote:I'll give you Ocean's 11.

I just find remakes really low quality cinema. That and musicals. Remakes of musicals are just the scummiest of scum.

I disagree entirely, some of the finest movies ever made have been remakes: The Magnificent Seven, Unforgiven, The Thing, True Grit, Ran etc. etc.

The list is immense.

Hab

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:24 pm

Rockman wrote:the original Red Dawn was so terrible I couldn't even finish the whole thing.

I could take this more seriously if you didn't have god awful taste when it comes to pretty much anything. :D

Hab

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 638 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:51 pm

habitual wrote:
I disagree entirely, some of the finest movies ever made have been remakes: The Magnificent Seven, Unforgiven, The Thing, True Grit, Ran etc. etc.

Adding: Heaven Can Wait, Scarface, The Departed, No Way Out, A Fist Full of Dollars, The Wizard of Oz, etc etc etc

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 431 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:44 pm

habitual wrote:

The list is immense.

Hab

I just don't like the idea of re-using an entire concept/idea for a movie. It almost feels like a cop out and cash grab.

That's the problem with much of our creative industry today. It just becomes a way to re-create what was once loved and the nostalgia factor seems to be just as involved in the creative process as much as originality.

I understand that there aren't many original ideas left, but the blatant recycling of ideas just annoys me.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 638 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:06 pm

Keb wrote:I just don't like the idea of re-using an entire concept/idea for a movie. It almost feels like a cop out and cash grab.

That's the problem with much of our creative industry today. It just becomes a way to re-create what was once loved and the nostalgia factor seems to be just as involved in the creative process as much as originality.

I understand that there aren't many original ideas left, but the blatant recycling of ideas just annoys me.

I'll agree with if movies are basically the same (and music too - I heard a Cure song on the radio recently only to figure out it wasn't the Cure doing it - but it sounded pretty damn the exact same. Why? )

But if a movie is changed just enough to really separate it from the original, then often it can absolutely be worth it.

Sometimes it's just the advancement of technology that makes the difference. The Fly is a great example of this (conversely the original King Kong is still light years better than the recent CGI version).

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 431 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:02 pm

Amoebas wrote:I'll agree with if movies are basically the same (and music too - I heard a Cure song on the radio recently only to figure out it wasn't the Cure doing it - but it sounded pretty damn the exact same. Why? )

But if a movie is changed just enough to really separate it from the original, then often it can absolutely be worth it.

Sometimes it's just the advancement of technology that makes the difference. The Fly is a great example of this (conversely the original King Kong is still light years better than the recent CGI version).

I think the advancement of technology has a lot to do with it. We're seeing these remakes because people want to make the movies with the "intended effects" and they can only do that now with digital. Unfortunately they try to update the plot/story for our times and it more often than not turns out poorly.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The Asylum