Advertisement

DC Shocker: Snyder and Lee on "Dsuperman Unchained"

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts

DC Shocker: Snyder and Lee on "Dsuperman Unchained"

Postby LOLtron » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:55 pm

DC Shocker: Snyder and Lee on

The series will reimagine Superman as a freed slave turned bounty hunter.

Source: USA Today

DC formally announced the long-awaited Scott Snyder/Jim Lee Superman collaboration this afternoon to USA Today.  However, instead of the expected Man of Steel title, the new Superman series will instead be entitled Dsuperman Unchained, which will mirror the Academy Award nominated Django Unchained.  "As you all know, the New 52 is all about edginess," said Lee in an interview to USA Today's sister newspaper USA Made-Up Interviews.  "And what's more edgy than a Quentin Taratino film?"

The interview revealed that the series will be set in the antebellum South, where Dsuperman is saved from slavery by a German bounty hunter named Johann Kent.  "We felt that radically changing Superman's origin made sense in the light of the upcoming Man of Steel film," said writer Scott Snyder.  "Even though that movie basically keeps all of the original origin intact..." 

Snyder and Lee then admitted that the series idea was inspired by the popular Django Unchained comic book adaptation, which is being released by DC's Vertigo imprint.  "The New 52 is all about stripmining Vertigo for anything of minute value," said Snyder.  "Since we took Swamp Thing, Constantine and vampires, this is really all that Vertigo has left."

The series will focus on Dsuperman and Johann searching for the Zod brothers and trying to free Dsuperman's wife Lois Lane from the evil slaveholder Lex Luthor.  "We felt that if we brought back the Supermarriage, people wouldn't compaln about the other changes as much," admitted Lee.

When asked whether Dsuperman Unchained would mirror any of the more controversial aspects of Django Unchained such as the frequent use of racial slurs, Lee and Snyder stated that they changed portions of the story to keep the new comic family friendly.  "We did tone down some aspects," said Snyder.  "For instance, we cut the amount of n-words in half to around 200 an issue.  Afterall, kids read these things"

However, despite all the changes to the origin, at least one thing's the same.  "Dsuperman's name is still pronounced the same," said Lee. "The 'D' is slient."

For real information about the comic, be sure to check out the USA Today article, which surprisingly lacks a single Django reference, but mentions that Scott Snyder will be doing backup features with former Batgirl writer Dustin Nyugen. 

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 239 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: DC Shocker: Snyder and Lee on

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:11 am

:lol:
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Schlemmer
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 135 posts
Title: Hot-Linker
Formerly: Schlemmer; spelled the same but sounds different

Postby Schlemmer » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:27 am

"Afterall, kids read these things"

How I knew this was satire

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: HRUNK!
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:45 am

When i scanned the headline, I thought it said Dee Snyder was on Dsuperman Unchained :lol:

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 239 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:09 am

ImageImage
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 132 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Mon May 06, 2013 11:17 am

, but mentions that Scott Snyder will be doing backup features with former Batgirl writer Dustin Nyugen.

YEAH THE LAST GOOD BATGIRL BOOK!!!

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 80 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Mon May 06, 2013 3:17 pm

Zechs wrote:YEAH THE LAST GOOD BATGIRL BOOK!!!

You let hate and delusion cloud your mind too much.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

3MJ

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby 3MJ » Mon May 06, 2013 3:37 pm

THAT'S FUCKING SEVEN QUESTIONS NOT 5.2

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 80 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Mon May 06, 2013 5:45 pm

The fact that Snyder's ideas on Superman/Clark being more like Byrne's are optimistic. I despise the post-Infinite Crisis versions of Clark as making him more of an emotional cripple.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Regulator
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Regulator » Mon May 06, 2013 6:18 pm

I'll buy it if they drop the n-word 140 times. :groucho:

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 204 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Tue May 07, 2013 8:25 am

Juan Cena wrote:

You let hate and delusion cloud your mind too much.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand