Advertisement

Review Group #368 - Guardians of the Galaxy #0.1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Sunless
crash test dummy

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: THE Sunless

Re: Review Group #368 - Guardians of the Galaxy #0.1

Postby Sunless » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:09 am

I only bought this because I'm buying Iron Man. I'm not a BMB fan. There are things he's written I've liked (Fire, Jynx etc) and stuff I've hated, what put me off him for a long time was how he wrote Peter Parker in the Avengers. Spider-Man is my guy, my fave character I have him tattooed on my body, so I'm touchy about it. I still haven't read a Mark Millar book after his run on Spider-Man.

After Spider-Man, I'm a big Punisher and X-Men fan so I was nervous when BMB took over. Needless to say I'm very happy with the X Books now.

I am however a Keiron Gillen fan. Phonogram, Journey Into Mystery, his Uncanny run.....

So you bet I'm reading the hell out of Iron Man and loving it. And since Iron Man's title will probably crossover with Guardians.... I picked this up.

This is is the BMB books I like category. A good intro to a character I'm not very familiar with in Peter Quill even if his mum reminded me of Emily Blunt in Looper. I dug the story it told me everything I needed and made me want more. Which is what a comic should do.

The art was fine. I'm not a McNiven lover or hater, it told the story for me in a competent way.

My one complaint is the numbering. Why couldn't this book just be number 1? 0.1 is some decimal bullshit.

7/10

Advertisement

Sunless
crash test dummy

Postby Sunless » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:17 am

Ntikrst wrote:So these are the Guardians of the Galaxy. I vaguely remember these guys from Claremont's X-men days when Cyclops' Dad was the leader of the group and he was fucking that cat-lady.

Oh, wait a minute, those were the Starjammers.

Nevermind then. These are the Guardians of the Galaxy, my mistake. So what are these guys all about? There's a movie coming out soon so they matter again. On first scan through just looking at the pictures it's all pretty straight forward with the standard cliches. Starman meets woman, they grow to love each other until his craft is finished then he bails, conveniently before the first tri-mester. This scenario always makes me laugh. Every time I have climaxed inside a woman, I've been extremely keen on whether or not the next menses showed up but not Super-heroes. Oh no; find 'em, feel 'em, fuck 'em and forget 'em.

"Sorry Lois, It's not you it's me, there's a mission in Space."

So I decide to just start reading because cliched shit like this doesn't deserve that much of my attention. Ten years later, the kid's keen on comic books! META!!! When he goes to school, the little space Aristocrat is also keen on anti-bullying. He's no Hugo Danner when it comes to beating up school yard bullies but he tries. He's a good kid cause his Dad's royalty and we all know how fucking awesome Monarchies are. Then Mom gets found out by Badoon! I guess Dad is dead, or just never bothered to ensure his Earth Strange/Baby Momma is safe. The kid is upstairs when he gets Wayne'd and the Badoon are coming for him. Fortunately, his mother was a gun owner who didn't store her weapon securely (Suck it Twigg!) so the kid blasts the bad guys. While this is all settling in, Dad's space gun is found just before the rest of the house is destroyed by remaining Badoon aboard their spaceship.

Fortunately, Charlie don't surf and Badoon don't scan, so the boy escapes into the woods and they fly away. Poor kid. All alone in the hospital and his Mother is dead but that's ok cause he's got a second chance at life and a new toy space gun. He's a Star Lord made of sterner stuff. He overcomes all obstacles because Aristocrats always rise to the top. From bouncing around orphanages to NASA to...commanding a crew of aliens and Iron Man aboard a space cruiser that would make Kirk hard, inside of four panels and a handful of captions? WTF? Is this sequential art or segue art? Oh well, good news for us but the cliches don't end there...oh no.

Now that everyone is, FOR THE RECORD, all in, Star Lord is going to show those Big ol Bad Badoon how it's done! Here comes the GAME CHANGING TIPPING POINT!!!

:smt026

Fuck me. This kind of shit makes me ashamed of comic books. Makes me ashamed to admit I'm a fan of the genre let alone the medium. The meat of the story is a techno dance remix of all your favorite cliched story elements BUT then the most interesting part of the story; how a boy grows to manhood and gets through NASA and somehow starts the Guardians of the Galaxies, is completely glossed over. So not only is this issue criminally derivative, it's fucking boring too.

2/10 still feels generous. I want my money back and this entire fucking franchise is now dead to me.

BTW, here's the real story behind the Arisotcrats. Enjoy!!! :D

This review was hilarious. No this isn't sarcasm. I laughed out loud.

Sunless
crash test dummy

Postby Sunless » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:18 am

Eli Katz wrote:This issue contains a series of science fiction cliches, and moves from one predictable plot point to the next. And this issue also contains some awkward spaceman dialogue that reinforces everything that I find contemptible about cosmic comics. Yet, all that being said, I still enjoyed this comic. It moves at a solid pace; it has a few touching character moments; and the one violent scene, the attack on Starlord's childhood home, is powerful.

This intro issue suggests that Bendis' GoG will be entertaining, but hardly mind blowing: a book for Bendis. McKniven, and Guardians fans, but hardly an essential read. I will not be reading this series, that's for sure.

7/10

No offence but I kinda think a 7 is a pretty good score. 3 away from ten and far away from 1. So why after such a high score will you not read it?

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:59 am

Sunless wrote:
No offence but I kinda think a 7 is a pretty good score. 3 away from ten and far away from 1. So why after such a high score will you not read it?

Because it isn't a bad comic. I enjoyed reading it. Or at least wasn't bored by it. But given my tastes (not a lover of cosmic books, generally), there's no way that I will spend money and time to follow this story. That's why I gave the book a decent score but, at the same time, decided not to read more.

Sunless
crash test dummy

Postby Sunless » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:48 am

Eli Katz wrote:Because it isn't a bad comic. I enjoyed reading it. Or at least wasn't bored by it. But given my tastes (not a lover of cosmic books, generally), there's no way that I will spend money and time to follow this story. That's why I gave the book a decent score but, at the same time, decided not to read more.

Thats fair. Also James Garner is rad.

GiveWarAChance
FROGMAN

Liked in: 925 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Postby GiveWarAChance » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:51 pm

I know next to nothing about the Guardians of the Galaxy. With the movie coming out soon, I decided I would try to get up to date on them. Tracking down the back issues or hardcovers has not been successful to say the least. Well, at least I have the new ongoing series. Being a fan of Bendis and McNiven made this purchase a no-brainer.

This issue was a solid introduction to Star-Lord and............well that's it. The entire rest of the cast is regulated to the last two pages. As far as origin stories go, it was alright. Nothing mind blowing in this issue. In a nutshell Star-Lord's father is an alien, his mother is an Earther, they fall in love and have sex, father leaves mother to fight in a war not knowing she is pregnant, mother raises boy by herself, boy protects girl on playground, aliens come to Earth to kill boy, boy's mother is killed, boy finds father's gun, boy becomes hero.

Steve McNiven's beautiful artwork ratchets up the score for me. I hope he manages to stay on the book for more than his usual story arc. I can't wait to see his art once they are in space.

Overall score=7

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Liked in: 100 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Postby Liam Rodgers » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:19 pm

Sunless wrote:
This review was hilarious. No this isn't sarcasm. I laughed out loud.

Ha! Glad to hear it. :D

I was probably pretty harsh with 2/10 but the whole thing reeks of turd polishing for the upcoming movie licence.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:30 pm

Ntikrst wrote:
Ha! Glad to hear it. :D

I was probably pretty harsh with 2/10 but the whole thing reeks of turd polishing for the upcoming movie licence.

I somewhat agree, but personally speaking, I enjoy most of the characters so much that I really don't care if that's the reason behind the series. I just want to read stories involving them.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Liked in: 100 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Postby Liam Rodgers » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:33 am

Stephen Day wrote:
I somewhat agree, but personally speaking, I enjoy most of the characters so much that I really don't care if that's the reason behind the series. I just want to read stories involving them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on the idea of a new series being released to tie into an upcoming movie licence, I was just seriously let down when kid from hospital goes to Galaxy Guardian monologuing on the ship to his crew and Stark. I could have forgiven the formulaic origin if it actually showed his entire journey from birth to Cosmic Hero with some astronaut training moments at least.

Still, my score was too harsh, I should have given it 4/10.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:05 pm

Sunless wrote:
Thats fair. Also James Garner is rad.

:smt023

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand