Advertisement

Ritten RUview: Age Of Ultron #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby LOLtron » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:31 pm

I’m not saying that I left work early so I could read this today, if I had, and I’m not saying I did, but if I had – I’d be pretty disappointed with my decision.

Source: Age Of Ultron #1

Age Of Ultron #1
Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Artist: Bryan Hitch
Publisher: Marvel

To be blunt, Age Of Ultron #1 was a major let down.  For five years we’ve been hearing about “Bendis’ Ultron” project, the coup d'état to his Avengers run, and this is how it starts off?  What a disappointment.

To make matters worse, Age Of Ultron #1 felt almost exactly like House of M #2-3.  The reader “wakes up” in the middle of a mystery where a villain has taken over the world and the characters are already used to the situation and the main focus of the book has to fight his way to meet up with Luke Cage.

The mystery is the same: What happened?
The reader is introduced the new status quo in the same manner.
Spider-Man, as in House Of M, is the most interesting character.
Oh, and we can’t forget Hawkeye rage!  I’m no expert on the character, far from it in fact, but was he always this killy?  I mean, wow, Clint was all kinds of “arrow through the throat” happy, even when not directly threatened.  It was very off-putting.

One major difference between House Of M and Age of Ultron so far is that Marvel is doing a good enough job spoiling plot points on their own and don’t need Wizard to do it for them.  If you do not want to know what’s coming up in Flashpoint Age Of Ultron, don’t read this month’s Previews Magazine or any upcoming Marvel advanced previews. 

Bendis does a good job of not being too Bendis-y with his dialogue, and his Spider-Man reads the way I thought Doc Oct would sound as Spider-Man.  Readers can feel the anger and frustration of all the heroes, and the fear of the villains, through out the issue, and there is an overwhelming sense of hopelessness that permeates the book.  The problem is, that it is pretty obvious too early that the consequences here will only be temporary and, like House Of M, probably won’t be remembered by the majority of the Marvel Universe.  This issue screams self-retcon.

Bryan Hitch’s art ranges from the beautiful – pages 1-5 and the final page especially – to the just plain horrid – the five pages before the last page, and it all seems to come down to size of the panels he has to work with; the smaller the image, the less attractive the art.  But those splash pages sure are pretty.

I can’t remember being less interested in a #2 of a Marvel event ever.  I think I even liked Fear Itself #1 more than Age Of Ultron.  Here’s the thing though, I still have faith in Bendis and if this is something he’s planned out for a long time, I’m willing to give it a couple more issues before I write it off.

Age Of Ultron #1 just came off as lazy and half-assed – 4/10.

Written or Contributed by GHERU

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

DMM
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Title: Former Twenty Something
Formerly: DeathMetalMetrosexual

Re: Ritten RUview: Age Of Ultron #1

Postby DMM » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:44 pm

would not bang.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:53 pm

I read this so I'd have a book in common with the rest of you to discuss. I actually agree with all of that. I had many of the same thoughts, including the similarity to previous events like House of M. So much more seemed to take place in House of M #1, though maybe my memory of it is faulty. This was thin gruel served up in AoU 1, watered-down and decompressed.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 131 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:56 pm

I thought the exact same thing, replace Wolverine with Hawkeye and structurally the stories are very similar.

I'll give it one more issue.

Hab

Agent Panic
crash test dummy

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Stranger Danger

Postby Agent Panic » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:02 pm

I saw this more as a Days of Future Past than a House of M pastiche.

House of M wasn't exactly a dystopian future, while DoFP and Ultron Unleashed are.
Do you know what the most frightening thing in the world is?
It's fear.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:29 pm

Anyone want the digital code, by the way?

Really sad I bought this. Marvel doesn't make me angry like they think spurs their fans on to keep buying their crap like this, they make me feel mournful for that four dollars and all the less useless things I could have done with it. They make me hate what comics have become, four dollar wastes of paper that can be read at a stoplight with no more meaningful or long-lasting depth to them whatsoever. Just a shill, the latest snake-oil tonic by Bendis, or Johns, or Fraction. Or worse.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:04 pm

I think this is going to end up being the Avengers books version of the Age of Apocalypse.

Which is what I thought Bendis tried with House of M.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 98 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:20 pm

I cannot believe I'm going to say this, but I actively hated this book at the end. It had to be the quickest read in a while...and that's truly saying something these days. I get that it's the first chapter, but this thing felt like an old 1/2 Wizard ashcan (look it up kids). It was the worst $3.99 I've spent in some time. I'm probably just going to rely on others feedback on future issues to see if it's worth picking up back issues or a trade. Ugh. Bendis at his absolute decompressed worst. How many pages in this book anyway? With all the double page spreads, it felt like ten.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:25 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Anyone want the digital code, by the way?

Really sad I bought this. Marvel doesn't make me angry like they think spurs their fans on to keep buying their crap like this, they make me feel mournful for that four dollars and all the less useless things I could have done with it. They make me hate what comics have become, four dollar wastes of paper that can be read at a stoplight with no more meaningful or long-lasting depth to them whatsoever. Just a shill, the latest snake-oil tonic by Bendis, or Johns, or Fraction. Or worse.

I could go for a code please!

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 98 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:30 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:

You'll still feel cheated...
Last edited by alaska1125 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:31 am

This read like it should've been a 0.1 or a prequel.

As the opening book for an event I was extremely underwhelmed.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:13 am

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:

Sent.

Johnny Smith
cheese

Liked in: 116 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:43 am

no love for The Owl and Hammerhead? They got starring roles in this issue, ba-bee!!! :lol: :roll:

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 228 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:40 am

Another difference: in DOFP, the heroes acted like freedom fighters, not scared little bitches who paid protection money to the villain.

Merry Marvel Man-Pussy Society :lol:

-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 133 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:45 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:Another difference: in DOFP, the heroes acted like freedom fighters, not scared little bitches who paid protection money to the villain.

Merry Marvel Man-Pussy Society :lol:

unless i just completely missed something, it was Owl and Hammerhead who were paying protection money to Ultron (which fits right in with their established characterization, IMMO), not the heroes.

Reading...it's FUNdamental.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand