Advertisement

Queer Heroes

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 123 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Re: Queer Heroes

Postby Arion » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:06 am

TheSecondLex wrote:what's up boners?

So I picked up The perks of being a wallflower from the local supermarche the other night( the movie, I mean), and I know the movie came out in September and the book like 13 years ago, so I'm late, but suck it. In case you haven't seen it....go. Go buy it now and watch it.

It's an extremely pared down, sleeker version of the novel. For example it leaves out extraneity (if that's not a word, I'm totally coining it, from the douchebag word for extraneous material) like Charlie smoking and discovering how to jerk the gherkin (immature euphemisms FTW), but otherwise keeps the basic story intact: an extremely isolated, socially backward boy trying to find his way in the vast jungle that is High School.

Here's where it gets weirdly autobiographical for me. High school was not a problem for me (inquire within, however, about college!). I was pretty alone or whatever for the first two years but I had extra curriculars (re: friends whether i wanted them or not) that kept me occupied. Alright, it was marching band, but still. And so on.

The point of Perks though is not comparative lives, but to see Charlie in his own terms--the greatest trope in fiction is not relatability but comparison: how close, or not, the subject of your attention is or isn't like you, and what that kind of analysis tells you. About you. Even if you're 'reading just to be entertained'--everyone is--it still becomes or can be essentially intellectual. It becomes self-analysis, and mirroring. Not to say that my life, then, was any better or worse off than Charlie's. Differently mirroring something remains mirroring none the less, for in Charlie's life and the lives of his friends we see parts of ourselves--almost as surely as if every Jack Kirby character was part of the King himself or his experiences (Ben Grimm, Orion, Scott Free, even Stan L--er, Funky Flashman).

I think juvenile lit--or a better term for it, the Bildungsroman--has this sense of mirroring built in. Think Catcher in the Rye, think Speak, think even All Quiet on the Western Front. What are these people telling us? How much are these people like us, if at all.

I first read the novelisation of Perks in 2008 because the boy I was dating at the time was way into it and thought himself Charlie and extolled the virtues of wallflowerism--the apparent joy that comes with luxuriating on the sidelines and observing. I read the book and pared ti down and told Michael I disagreed with him. I threw some AP English BS interpretation at him, much I'm doing now, and half-baed some flawed Objectivism (The Fountainhead was huge in our AP class, so there's that). Anywho.

Still, I think of the book often, and I enjoyed the crap out of the film. Beyond faithfulness to its source (the book's writer also wrote the screenplay and directed), Perks is a very good story. It's self-examinating lit on the Salinger or John Knowles mode: the person at its centre grows and becomes a different person in a world that is stupid and does not make sense. The kind of weird, depressive and flawed-character books we here at Team Lex like reading about :)

It's worth reading and/or watching. Which is the best possible review for any work. Ever.

Go buy the movie. More importantly, read the book.

Nownownow.

Wait, wait, wait... there was a masturbation scene and they left it out of the movie. For shame! I always love that sort of scenes.

Oh you were in marching band, that's so cute. Reminds me of a gay-themed movie I saw titled "Story of a Bad Boy" (not that I'm implying that you are bad or naughty).

Great point about self-analysis and mirroring. I absolutely love that. Hope you don't mind if I steal that and use it in one of my upcoming previews.

I saw the movie, and I loved it. This is what I wrote about it: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012) is written and directed by Stephen Chbosky and it is, without a doubt, one of the best films of 2012*. Logan Lerman is a shy teenager that befriends Ezra Miller, a flamboyant gay boy, who introduces him to Emma Watson (Hermione from “Harry Potter”). This story combines teenage awkwardness, friendship, love and the effervescence of youth into one truly fascinating narrative that conceals some very strong themes, such as child molestation and sexual abuse. An extraordinary film that, once again, proves that Ezra Miller knows how to choose his projects ("We Need To Talk About Kevin" and "Afterschool" were also great).

* In the end, when I made the list of 2012 films I chose it as the best film of the year.

** And after your post I feel I need to read the book.

Advertisement

TheSecondLex
cheese

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: alexeiluthor

Postby TheSecondLex » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:06 pm

I don't think you'll regret it, Ari. It's epistolary and good, as opposed to Flowers for Algernon, which epistolary and terrible :)
vinnypic wrote:War is necessary. Cops are necessary. One is a necessary evil. one is a necessary force of good. failure to grasp that distinction means you're a high functioning retard.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 123 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:00 pm

TheSecondLex wrote:I don't think you'll regret it, Ari. It's epistolary and good, as opposed to Flowers for Algernon, which epistolary and terrible :)

I'll have to wait till next month's paycheck, I don't have any money left right now.

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Title: That Guy, Roman.

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:01 pm

My crush on Skylar Astin did not get any better by watching 21 & Over. Damn that adorable bastard.

Someone coined the phrase "dudity" about the movie, and I just love that term so much I am going to steal the shit out of it.

TheSecondLex
cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:50 pm

i googled skylar astin, Roman.

I agree with you there and would like to see more of this, this dudity :)

Also, Team Lex's Comic Recommendation: DAREDEVIL END OF DAYS

read it. buy it. love it.

Bendis...if your spies are seeing this, you need to GTFO the X-books and start writing the Punisher. Right now.
vinnypic wrote:War is necessary. Cops are necessary. One is a necessary evil. one is a necessary force of good. failure to grasp that distinction means you're a high functioning retard.

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:18 pm

I wasn't feeling this trip to Florida I'm taking with my family, but I'm determined to make the best of it. I do need a vacation, and I haven't been to a beach in over 7 years.

TheSecondLex wrote:i googled skylar astin, Roman.

I agree with you there and would like to see more of this, this dudity :)

Also, Team Lex's Comic Recommendation: DAREDEVIL END OF DAYS

read it. buy it. love it.

Bendis...if your spies are seeing this, you need to GTFO the X-books and start writing the Punisher. Right now.

There is "dudity" for miles in 21 & Over. A refreshing change of pace than the usual "BOOBS!" style of juvenile college comedy.

I mean the two main stars spend a good 10 minutes of the film just wearing socks ... and not on their feet.

TheSecondLex
cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:28 pm

:shock: i...gotta go to the movies lol

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:27 pm

TheSecondLex wrote::shock: i...gotta go to the movies lol

... :deadpool

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand

The movie's actually pretty funny, the naked antics are just a really nice bonus. :lol:

TheSecondLex
cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:35 pm

nice. anything beats ken jeong's ass--said the one guy who disliked The Hangover :)

stupid Amazing Spider-Man's been on the higher movie channels on my dish network this week. Stupid Chris Zylka and his stupid awesome face and stupid Andrew Garfield. How dare they be hot :)

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 154 posts
Title: Deviant by design

Postby Lord Ice » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:44 pm

ThatGuyRoman wrote:
... :deadpool

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand

The movie's actually pretty funny, the naked antics are just a really nice bonus. :lol:

This just made my night. And this is after spending a couple of hours on chaterbate. :groucho:

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:54 pm

Them naked is LITERALLY the first shot of the movie. It's like "Blah Blah Presents" and then ASS.

It's hilarious.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 105 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:41 am

Saw a book on LGBT manners the other day and now I've run across several YouTube videos on the author (the latter started on a random query on who pays for same-sex dates):

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:37 pm

Sup, guys. Long time. Just posting a teaser for my film. Hope you like.

*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

TheSecondLex
cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:50 pm

cool video Great Lakes Xtube.

In my experience, it's been a thing that while the Asker of the date should pay, he usually doesn't. Unless the asker is me, or the 'separate checks?' question gets interrupted before I can speak up. Either way, I try to pay. From there good manners dictate the rest. ("Oh no, let me," "oh no I insist", "well okay then gosh you're pretty")

and so on :)

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:55 pm

TheSecondLex wrote:cool video Great Lakes Xtube.

In my experience, it's been a thing that while the Asker of the date should pay, he usually doesn't. Unless the asker is me, or the 'separate checks?' question gets interrupted before I can speak up. Either way, I try to pay. From there good manners dictate the rest. ("Oh no, let me," "oh no I insist", "well okay then gosh you're pretty")

and so on :)

My bf paid the first few dates because I was broke and not working. Now it's determined most on who has the money, who got paid, etc. A few times we split it.
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum