Advertisement

My take on, "Oz, the Great and Powerful"

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

xshane666x
Mad Hatter
 
Posts: 394
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:09 pm


My take on, "Oz, the Great and Powerful"

Postby xshane666x » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:33 pm

I'm a bit perplexed by all the negativity being directed toward, "Oz, The Great and Powerful". I'm uncertain what people wanted or expected from this film, but what I got was a fun, magical, astonishing, trip into a realm of fantasy the same way that Victor Fleming's 1939 classic, The Wizard of Oz, took my eager childhood eyes To a wideness not prior achieved.

If you walk in expecting Judy Garland to be reanimated in a musical tale, well, I dare say that you stay clear...but if you walk in with the same childhood vigor you once had, when heart and imagination were more important than death and taxes, well I'd be surprised if you left in sorrow or disdain.

I'm happy that I viewed this film and cannot wait until the Bluray lay at my feet waiting to view in the comfort of my home, where the welled tears don't quite diminish my manhood the way they do in public...and tears of happiness formed for me in the final scene.

I'm a Sam Raimi fan, and I found his direction fantastic. He did what Tim Burton used to for me, but Mr. Burton seems to have lost...He dared me to imagine and believe in magic.

Thanks Sam, I'm grateful...

A+

Advertisement

Lord Simian
User avatar
The Lord of the Monkeys
 
Posts: 35049
Likes: 211 posts
Liked in: 345 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:57 am
Location: Poosting from The Outhouse


Re: My take on, "Oz, the Great and Powerful"

Postby Lord Simian » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:46 pm

xshane666x wrote:I'm a bit perplexed by all the negativity being directed toward, "Oz, The Great and Powerful". I'm uncertain what people wanted or expected from this film, but what I got was a fun, magical, astonishing, trip into a realm of fantasy the same way that Victor Fleming's 1939 classic, The Wizard of Oz, took my eager childhood eyes To a wideness not prior achieved.

If you walk in expecting Judy Garland to be reanimated in a musical tale, well, I dare say that you stay clear...but if you walk in with the same childhood vigor you once had, when heart and imagination were more important than death and taxes, well I'd be surprised if you left in sorrow or disdain.

I'm happy that I viewed this film and cannot wait until the Bluray lay at my feet waiting to view in the comfort of my home, where the welled tears don't quite diminish my manhood the way they do in public...and tears of happiness formed for me in the final scene.

I'm a Sam Raimi fan, and I found his direction fantastic. He did what Tim Burton used to for me, but Mr. Burton seems to have lost...He dared me to imagine and believe in magic.

Thanks Sam, I'm grateful...

A+


Honest question: have we been directing negativity towards it? :smt017

xshane666x
Mad Hatter
 
Posts: 394
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:09 pm


Re: My take on, "Oz, the Great and Powerful"

Postby xshane666x » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:53 pm

Not here. I meant critics. My bad.

Lord Simian
User avatar
The Lord of the Monkeys
 
Posts: 35049
Likes: 211 posts
Liked in: 345 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:57 am
Location: Poosting from The Outhouse


Re: My take on, "Oz, the Great and Powerful"

Postby Lord Simian » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:54 pm

xshane666x wrote:Not here. I meant critics. My bad.


Gotcha. Carry on, then, sorry! :P

e_galston
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 19682
Likes: 393 posts
Liked in: 632 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:38 pm
Location: Frederick, MD
Formerly: Sitebreaker


Re: My take on, "Oz, the Great and Powerful"

Postby e_galston » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:13 pm

I enjoyed it as well. I had a lot to compare it to, since i'm a huge fan of the musical and book for Wicked, and it met and exceeded my expectations. Still not a big fan of James Franco, but the rest of the cast was great. Only issue is every time Mila Kunis opened her mouth and spoke i heard Meg Griffen...
Image

xshane666x
Mad Hatter
 
Posts: 394
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:09 pm


Re: My take on, "Oz, the Great and Powerful"

Postby xshane666x » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:36 pm

Agreed. Mila Kunis threw absolutely zero accent in...she sounded like she should be ordering a deli sub or asking out Kelso. If I had any gripe, her laziness was it (and I love her) but it wasn't enough to make me feel less for the film.

I did think it was funny that her sister had a British accent but she was...well, a green Mila Kunis haha

misac
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 35218
Likes: 296 posts
Liked in: 216 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:49 pm
Location: {nomultithumb}


Online


Re: My take on, "Oz, the Great and Powerful"

Postby misac » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:11 am

I really liked it as well. I haven’t seen much of James Franco’s work but I thought he did a good job.

I was having trouble believing that these actual powerful witches would be defeated/saved by Oz but the way it played out was very satisfying. They didn’t even buy into his BS. :-D

Favorite parts where little china dolls footsteps and when the witch is first reveal coming out of the flames. And the total Raimi moment in the balloon with the debris piercing the basket. :lol:
Image

eltopo
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 71050
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:04 am
Location: hell
Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG


Re: My take on, "Oz, the Great and Powerful"

Postby eltopo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:08 pm

I haven't seen the movie but I do love the books I read a ton of them as a kid (I feel like I read all the Baum books) I just wish they'd make a book that was closer to the source material it doesn't make sense to have the wizard as the hero considering every oz book has a female lead. But if this is meant to be more like the Judy Garland movie (which also wasn't all that close) I guess it's fine but the way I see they missed an opportunity to get into some of the other great oz character
Image

e_galston
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 19682
Likes: 393 posts
Liked in: 632 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:38 pm
Location: Frederick, MD
Formerly: Sitebreaker


Re: My take on, "Oz, the Great and Powerful"

Postby e_galston » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:14 pm

eltopo wrote:I haven't seen the movie but I do love the books I read a ton of them as a kid (I feel like I read all the Baum books) I just wish they'd make a book that was closer to the source material it doesn't make sense to have the wizard as the hero considering every oz book has a female lead. But if this is meant to be more like the Judy Garland movie (which also wasn't all that close) I guess it's fine but the way I see they missed an opportunity to get into some of the other great oz character


from what i read, they focused on the Wizard because so many Fairytales have a female lead, and they wanted to do a fairytale with a male lead.
Image

eltopo
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 71050
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:04 am
Location: hell
Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG


Re: My take on, "Oz, the Great and Powerful"

Postby eltopo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:28 pm

e_galston wrote:
from what i read, they focused on the Wizard because so many Fairytales have a female lead, and they wanted to do a fairytale with a male lead.

I mean I guess but if you wanted a fairy tale with a male lead (sidenote cuz you know there's just not enough fiction with male leads I guess?) why pick OZ? Feminine leads are a trademark of the series ?
Image

misac
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 35218
Likes: 296 posts
Liked in: 216 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:49 pm
Location: {nomultithumb}


Online


Re: My take on, "Oz, the Great and Powerful"

Postby misac » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:37 pm

Maybe the next one. Aren't there plans to make more?
Image

e_galston
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 19682
Likes: 393 posts
Liked in: 632 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:38 pm
Location: Frederick, MD
Formerly: Sitebreaker


Re: My take on, "Oz, the Great and Powerful"

Postby e_galston » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:38 pm

disney has been trying to do something with Oz for a while... And i'm sure they stayed away from the female character angle so they didn't get accused of stealing/copying Wicked (which has been in production movie wise for years, and is getting closer to a reality everyday (especially after Les Mis))
Image

e_galston
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 19682
Likes: 393 posts
Liked in: 632 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:38 pm
Location: Frederick, MD
Formerly: Sitebreaker


Re: My take on, "Oz, the Great and Powerful"

Postby e_galston » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:39 pm

misac wrote:Maybe the next one. Aren't there plans to make more?


yep, they are already planning a sequel to take place AFTER "The Wizard of Oz"
Image

Lord Ice
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2833
Likes: 35 posts
Liked in: 154 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:45 pm
Title: Deviant by design


Re: My take on, "Oz, the Great and Powerful"

Postby Lord Ice » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:10 pm

e_galston wrote:disney has been trying to do something with Oz for a while... And i'm sure they stayed away from the female character angle so they didn't get accused of stealing/copying Wicked (which has been in production movie wise for years, and is getting closer to a reality everyday (especially after Les Mis))


Suppose Button Bright might be too pedo-homoerotic for them, so they choose James Franco for a male lead. :laughter:
Image

IvCNuB4
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 11442
Likes: 725 posts
Liked in: 484 posts
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:51 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !


Re: My take on, "Oz, the Great and Powerful"

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:28 am

We saw this last night. Very entertaining and held your interest through the entire thing. Franco hammed-up his role but didn't overdo it.
The stand-out characters were definitely the China Girl and Finley the flying monkey :smt023
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 36 guests

Advertisement