Advertisement

Hmmm. What *IS* DC up to ? ?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 171 posts

Re: Hmmm. What *IS* DC up to ? ?

Postby dairydead » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:51 am

draco x wrote:Remind me never to get on Herald's bad side.

yeah heaven forbid you get the " i know you are but what am i?!" treatment. A fate worse than death.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

Advertisement

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Liked in: 100 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Postby Liam Rodgers » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:01 am

Herald wrote:The industry needs to get rid of this "secret clubhouse" mentality in order to thrive again.

If that was true then titles like Magic of Shazam, Batman:BatB, DC Animated Adventures and Superman Family would be breaking sales records and dictating the tone of Super Hero comics.

Kids want to be teenagers and hang out in the "Secret Clubhouse" more than they want to go to "Day Care" and spend time with a bunch of creepy fucking Bronies and the kids that don't, should know better. :roll:

If Marvel and DC want to take a two tier approach to content, with one suitable for children and one suitable for mature audiences, more power to them. Your proposal to enforce teenagers to suffer through saccharine child's content is just as offensive as the people you decry for forcing Batman to have casual sex in his monthly comic and that's why it won't result in a net gain in expanded readership.

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Liked in: 100 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Postby Liam Rodgers » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:01 am

In an attempt to get this thread back on track, I'd agree that DC has kept loopholes open that would allow them to abandon the Nu-verse but I don't think they could go back to Pre-FP. I see them going forward to something else but how could they go back to Pre-FP and not completely offend their existing base?

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:19 am

Herald you're the epitome of the fucking "secret clubhouse" in comics. You want things exactly how you want them and spend hours bitching about them when they aren't to your liking. You're relentlessly mocked by those actually in the industry, not because you're so interesting and intelligent as you seem to think, but rather because you come across online as some needy nerd who can't handle change. Who actively spends his time harassing those who enjoy comics and spreads a sense of resentment and hatred whereever you go.

How you can criticise a "secret clubhouse" is beyond me. You've ostracised 99% of the board and we're the ones who will give comics ago! You're the worst of the worst!

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 472 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:15 am

Jubilee wrote:Herald you're the epitome of the fucking "secret clubhouse" in comics. You want things exactly how you want them and spend hours bitching about them when they aren't to your liking. You're relentlessly mocked by those actually in the industry, not because you're so interesting and intelligent as you seem to think, but rather because you come across online as some needy nerd who can't handle change. Who actively spends his time harassing those who enjoy comics and spreads a sense of resentment and hatred whereever you go.

How you can criticise a "secret clubhouse" is beyond me. You've ostracised 99% of the board and we're the ones who will give comics ago! You're the worst of the worst!

99% ? Don't you think that's underestimating it a bit? :lol:

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 361 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:23 am

Ntikrst wrote:
If that was true then titles like Magic of Shazam, Batman:BatB, DC Animated Adventures and Superman Family would be breaking sales records and dictating the tone of Super Hero comics.

The problem with those titles are that they aren't the mainstream books, not the in-continuity versions of the characters. People -- of ANY age -- want to know that what they're reading "counts", and those ancillary books don't. That's why those are always guaranteed to sell low. Moreover, such books are also part of the "secret clubhouse" mentality, isolating potential future supporters away from the mainstream books.

That's why I advocate making the in-continuity titles for all-ages, so that no one is left out.

If Marvel and DC want to take a two tier approach to content, with one suitable for children and one suitable for mature audiences, more power to them. Your proposal to enforce teenagers to suffer through saccharine child's content is just as offensive as the people you decry for forcing Batman to have casual sex in his monthly comic and that's why it won't result in a net gain in expanded readership.

That isn't my proposal.
That's your ASSUMPTION.
And what happens when you "assume"?? :P

The irony here is that WB Animation has been showing how to handle all-ages stories that even your "kids and adolescents" have enjoyed for decades now. Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, Justice League, JLU, Static Shock... all featuring the EXACT SAME cast of characters that DC handles all the time, but DONE BETTER!

Your problem is that you automatically ASSUME that "All-ages" means "For babies!" As I've been saying, people from Disney and Pixar to WB Animation have been proving otherwise time and again for ages now; you are just one of the people who remain oblivious about it even as it keeps happening around you.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:36 am

Ntikrst wrote:In an attempt to get this thread back on track

Good luck with that. Some people here are so insecure about others having a difference of opinion that they'd rather whine about the people who have that different opinion, than try to argue their own point or stay on topic at all. This demonstrates that they never really had a strong point to make in the first place.

I'd agree that DC has kept loopholes open that would allow them to abandon the Nu-verse

And, just like above, doing so demonstrates that they weren't at all secure about their DCnU concoction.

but I don't think they could go back to Pre-FP. I see them going forward to something else but how could they go back to Pre-FP and not completely offend their existing base?

Going to the DCnU in the first place risked offending their existing base. Considering that DC's own research shows that they didn't net that many new readers doing so, going back (and probably regaining those readers recently lost in the move) is actually somewhat LESS risky.
Last edited by Herald on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:41 am

Jubilee wrote:Herald you're the epitome of the fucking "secret clubhouse" in comics.

...and here's one of the biggest "insecure whiners who lack the ability to discuss the actual topic" now! I'm glad I can ALWAYS count on "Jubilee" to be an example of such things! :-D

You want things exactly how you want them and spend hours bitching about them when they aren't to your liking. You're relentlessly mocked by those actually in the industry, not because you're so interesting and intelligent as you seem to think, but rather because you come across online as some needy nerd who can't handle change. Who actively spends his time harassing those who enjoy comics and spreads a sense of resentment and hatred whereever you go.

...says the guy who insistently harassed people about liking teenage female characters, while proudly sporting the name of HIS favorite teenage female character, "Jubilee". :roll:

How you can criticise a "secret clubhouse" is beyond me.

I'll add it to the LONG list of things that are. :P

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 414 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:43 am

Ntikrst wrote:In an attempt to get this thread back on track, I'd agree that DC has kept loopholes open that would allow them to abandon the Nu-verse but I don't think they could go back to Pre-FP. I see them going forward to something else but how could they go back to Pre-FP and not completely offend their existing base?

Yeah going back would make the reboot look fruitless. They could re-modify it and keep the best of pre and post-reboot.
Even if they go in a really bold move and say that the current universe is actually Earth 24 for example or something that still might piss off folks.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1074 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:48 pm

Ntikrst wrote:In an attempt to get this thread back on track, I'd agree that DC has kept loopholes open that would allow them to abandon the Nu-verse but I don't think they could go back to Pre-FP.

Honestly, I agree with this. As much as I dislike the current state of the DCU, I seriously doubt that DC will completely scrap the DCnU in order to bring back the pre-Flashpoint DCU. Instead, I see them using upcoming events as a way to shake things up a little and perhaps clean up or change some of the things they have been receiving heavy criticism for. For instance, I would be shocked if the Booster Gold that is returning isn't somehow the Booster Gold that we last saw in his own series prior to the relaunch.

I see them going forward to something else but how could they go back to Pre-FP and not completely offend their existing base?

If DC didn't care about offending their existing fan base before, they won't care about offending it now. Flashpoint proved that DC will do whatever they want, whenever they want.
ImageImageImage

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 383 posts

Postby Draco x » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:45 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:

:lol:

so we just found the one person scared of him. there is always one.

8) 8) 8) 8)

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:46 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
To be fair, Draco also wants to grow up to be Zechs. :)

Zechs is responsible for my creation so you got it right. Good for you. :D :D :D

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:47 pm

alaska1125 wrote:
I'd posit that every argument in this thread is completely silly and pointless.

I couldn't have put it better.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:48 pm

dairydead wrote:
yeah heaven forbid you get the " i know you are but what am i?!" treatment. A fate worse than death.

:-D :-D :-D

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:37 am

I certainly hope not. I've been reading a lot of the DC52 recently and I quite enjoy it.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand