Advertisement

Feminist Frequency: Women vs. Tropes in Video Games (Update)

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Feminist Frequency: Women vs. Tropes in Video Games (Update)

Postby GLX » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:06 am

Thoughts?

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Advertisement

Food Eater lad
cheese

Liked in: 24 posts

Re: Feminist Frequency: Women vs. Tropes in Video Games

Postby Food Eater lad » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:19 am

Didn't the Violence Against Women Act, just signed into law just prove that women are damsels in distress that need men ( ei, the Big Daddy Government) to save them?
"Diversity equals division"

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 104 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:06 am

Food Eater lad wrote:Didn't the Violence Against Women Act, just signed into law just prove that women are damsels in distress that need men ( ei, the Big Daddy Government) to save them?

No.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:45 am

Food Eater lad wrote:Didn't the Violence Against Women Act, just signed into law just prove that women are damsels in distress that need men ( ei, the Big Daddy Government) to save them?

By that logic, the rule of law makes us all the catamites of Big Daddy Government. Enjoy your butt hurt.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1063 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:37 pm

Does keeping this up ever get tiring?
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 559 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:05 pm

She highlighted series that have historically never had complex storylines or characters. Mario in general has had increasingly tongue in cheek storylines for its last few entries. Fact is the games she chose to highlight aren't about story they are about gameplay, the story only exists to give some sense of artificial purpose to the preceding content.

All in all she has taken a molehill and created a mountain.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:11 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Does keeping this up ever get tiring?

Insanity + bitterness > federation class warp core.

Hab

Sunless
crash test dummy

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: THE Sunless

Postby Sunless » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:21 pm

This lady ever play Metroid?

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:43 pm

Keep in mind, that this is part one of a series of videos. She funded this look at video games through Kickstarter.

Originally, the funding goal was $6,000; however, she reached 6 figures partly because of backlash against some very vile trolls.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:46 pm

Sunless wrote:This lady ever play Metroid?

I will be talking extensively about the Metroid franchise in my upcoming video series and specifically addressing the use of Samus Aran's body as a reward for players as a prime example of the "Women as Reward" trope. Similarly, as part of my video about the "Fighting F@#k Toy" trope, I will be detailing the problematic ways in which even female protagonists like Lara Croft are still objectified and sexualized for a presumed straight-male audience. Obviously, I'm in favor of more female protagonists across the board, but it has to be linked with an intentional shift away from the idea that women in games exist primarily as objects of sexual desire. Sometimes it definitely feels like a "one step forward, two steps back" type of scenario. On that note, though, it looks like Lara Croft is finally wearing pants in the upcoming Tomb Raider reboot. So perhaps we will see less objectification, but judging from the E3 trailer, there are potentially a host of other problematic gendered tropes at play.

There is also a marked increase of what I would called "ironic sexism," whereby game developers will rely on extreme or hypersexualized female characters in very over-the-top or obviously sexist ways. This type of ironic self-aware objectification is in some ways more damaging than the non-ironic forms of yesteryear. Because, as you point out, it's always more helpful to discuss these issues in a more holistic and sustained way, I'll definitely be giving this question a lot of attention in the video series.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/from-s ... y-6382189/

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:48 pm

One of her previous videos involving a game that'll likely be in her new series:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 13 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:49 pm

:lol:

She probably finds several of the Tetris shapes too phallic as well.

Food Eater lad
cheese

Liked in: 24 posts

Postby Food Eater lad » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:38 pm

Eli Katz wrote:By that logic, the rule of law makes us all the catamites of Big Daddy Government. Enjoy your butt hurt.

Not if it treats all people the same. I am sorry, I didn't realise that having different sets of rules for different groups was cool. Nevermind.
"Diversity equals division"

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 213 posts

Postby dairydead » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:43 pm

you should be ashamed for liking women!
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 559 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:26 pm

:lol:

that's ridiculous.

In one of her other videos she mentions that movies are male-centered and mentions some kind of rule something or other. Which sounds really bad in context. But the reality is that men are more likely to want to go out and see a movie while women are more likely to stay in and watch television. Which is why most prime-time programming skews towards women's interests vs. men.

That's the problem I have watching any of these is you just get one side. She seems nice and respectful but the issues are a bit more complex than a five minute video can cover, and apparently more so than a 20 minute video can cover as well as we see above. I can imagine it being frustrating to want strong female protagonists in video games because they're really aren't but the demographic for gamers is still very heavily men so of course the product is going to appeal to the masses. I mean just the other day one of our posters got rather indignant when he found out that some people here might chose to play as the female character in games. :lol:

Obviously I would have a hard time relating to the "plight of women" as she sees it as I'm a man and don't really pay attention to that stuff. But I don't think that Princess Peach or Zelda being captured a lot is teaching men that women are objects like she posits, and she obviously missed how ridiculous the Mario games stories have become.

Also if you play the paper mario games you are allowed to play as Peach through out the story and is actually very important towards finishing the game or Legend of the 7 stars where she is pretty BA, or the latest Wii game where she is one of the better characters as well. I'm sure she'll get to it, but not everything is the end of the world.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum