Advertisement

Does Tomb Raider even matter in a world with Uncharted?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 410 posts
Formerly: AMS

Re: Does Tomb Raider even matter in a world with Uncharted?

Postby Rockman » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:34 pm

Uncharted is one of the best of all time.

Naughty Dog makes fantastic games

Advertisement

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:43 pm

Sunless wrote:I don't have a PS3. I'm an Xbox guy so at least I'll be able to play Tomb Raider.

Besides if Uncharted was any good they would port it to other consoles. Worked for Mass Effect.

Console exclusive games just seem stupid to me seeing its just limiting a games sales.

That's a stupid statement. One of the most universally loved games of this generation is not good because it's a PS3 exclusive? :? :lol:

I mean, I agree with your last point... they do limit sales, but it is what it is. Doesn't have any impact on the quality of games.

And Uncharted is developed by a Sony-owned studio. Naughty Dog was bought by Sony in 2001. Why would Sony allow them to make games for their competition?

Anyways, Mass Effect probably would have been multi-platform from the beginning, but Microsoft threw money at them and had exclusive publishing rights to the first game. BioWare was bought by EA just a month before the first game's release, so it couldn't really have an impact on it's release at that point. But it was pretty much a sure thing once they were bought that all future games would go to PS3 as well.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 369 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:46 pm

Chris wrote:
That's a stupid statement. One of the most universally loved games of this generation is not good because it's a PS3 exclusive? :? :lol:

I mean, I agree with your last point... they do limit sales, but it is what it is. Doesn't have any impact on the quality of games.

And Uncharted is developed by a Sony-owned studio. Naughty Dog was bought by Sony in 2001. Why would Sony allow them to make games for their competition?

Anyways, Mass Effect probably would have been multi-platform from the beginning, but Microsoft threw money at them and had exclusive publishing rights to the first game. BioWare was bought by EA just a month before the first game's release, so it couldn't really have an impact on it's release at that point. But it was pretty much a sure thing once they were bought that all future games would go to PS3 as well.

And there are some of us who feel that switching to a multi-console format after the first game, in the end, didn't turn out all that well for the three games' internal story.
Last edited by Stephen Day on Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:47 pm

RE: Tomb Raider

I'm enjoying it. It's not in Uncharted's league at all, but it's probably the best Tomb Raider game I've played.. which isn't saying much. But it's a solid game. I'd play a sequel.

My one big complaint is that it's not really difficult at all, and that I wish it'd be more open. It gives the illusion of being a pretty open game, but it's not. Arkham Asylum did a similar layout with its gameplay, but I feel like the amount of things you could do in that game made up for the fact that it wasn't as big as it made it seem. In Tomb Raider, you're pretty much just on rails going from Point A to Point B and arrowing guys through the head along the way.

Hand to hand combat is pretty much useless, and not fun, also.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:47 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
And there are some of us who feel that switching to a multi-console format after the first game, in the end, didn't turn out all that well for the game's internal story.

I like to refer to those of you as "wrong."

:D

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:49 pm

Chris wrote:
I like to refer to those of you as "wrong."

:D

On that matter I'd certainly disagree. :D

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:52 pm

I think ME2 was the best game in the franchise both in terms of gameplay and story, and it was multi-platform.

Hell, conclusion aside (and I didn't even have a problem with the ending :smt102 ) ME3 was almost as good both in gameplay and story. 98% of the game was fucking awesome, if you discount the ending issues.

ME1 was a mess gameplay wise, IMO, but had a really great story.

But trying to replay it today after playing through 2 and 3, in terms of gameplay improvements.. it's really annoying. I dislike a lot of ME1's gameplay.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:01 pm

Chris wrote:I think ME2 was the best game in the franchise both in terms of gameplay and story, and it was multi-platform.

Hell, conclusion aside (and I didn't even have a problem with the ending :smt102 ) ME3 was almost as good both in gameplay and story. 98% of the game was fucking awesome, if you discount the ending issues.

ME1 was a mess gameplay wise, IMO, but had a really great story.

But trying to replay it today after playing through 2 and 3, in terms of gameplay improvements.. it's really annoying. I dislike a lot of ME1's gameplay.

That's the deal breaker for me in the end. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy all three games overall and I agree that the game play in the second game is the best of the series. Having said that though, game three just has too many inconsistent plot points when compared to the events of the first game and that really hurt it in my eyes. The game play also wasn't as fun as the second game and I throw that mostly down to the Brutes and the banshees. Both of those foes I found to be annoying to fight, almost to the point of destroying my enjoyment of the game.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:04 pm

I thought ME2 had a better story, and much better gameplay than ME1. :smt102

It was an improvement in every way.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:10 pm

Chris wrote:I thought ME2 had a better story, and much better gameplay than ME1. :smt102

It was an improvement in every way.

It was close in terms of the story when it comes to the first two games. The deciding factor for me is Saren. Neither Harbinger, nor the Illusive Man compare to Saren as foes for Shepard. The story lost something without a foe that was a direct comparable arch enemy for Shepard the way Saren was, at least in my opinion.

Sunless
crash test dummy

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: THE Sunless

Postby Sunless » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:36 pm

Chris wrote:

I forgot sarcasm doesn't work unless you use a smiley thingy and I hate that. Yes my first point was stupid.

But look I get why some games are console exclusive. I doubt I'll see Mario and Zelda on anything except Nintendo (CDi games don't count)

But I also think most people don't have multi consoles and a good way to get people playing/buying the games is to release them on all consoles. Probably preaching to the choir here.

ME:2 was the best of the bunch. 3 was great and I think I'd have liked the ending more if I had played the extended cut first, instead of the original bullshit.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:58 pm

There's not some god-given right for people to be able to play any game that is ever released, regardless of system. :smt102

The name of the game in console wars is exclusives. They'd be risking their own console sales if they just released every game for every system. I mean, that makes no sense.

Sunless
crash test dummy

Postby Sunless » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:41 pm

Theres still a console war?

Most games are already out on all systems. Exclusives are minimal.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:49 am

Sunless wrote:Theres still a console war?

Most games are already out on all systems. Exclusives are minimal.

We are at the end of the console generation, with PS4 and 720 out this winter.

But yes there's still a console war of sorts. Sony and Microsoft are not partners. They are in direct competition. Hell, Microsoft could very very easily put Sony out of business altogether this next generation if they smoke the PS4, since Sony isn't doing well in any department and is losing money every year.

Sunless
crash test dummy

Postby Sunless » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:55 am

Well that sucks. Nothing wrong with competition, and consumers having a choice can't be a bad thing.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum