Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby covalesky » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:53 am

Arion wrote:
It's amazing. That was the first Busiek book I read and I became a fan right away.

I'm totally in love with this

Advertisement

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 107 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:15 pm

covalesky wrote:
I'm totally in love with this

Now I feel like reading it again.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 378 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:32 am

Just finished Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD. How the hell were they able to pack so much story into 12 pages a month? Modern comics ought to be ashamed. I really enjoyed the art and thought the sorry was a fun read. I didn't understand the end of the second part with Yellow Claw and the last ish was kinda dumb, but the HYDRA story was all kind of awesome. I really liked the recoloring on the art too.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:18 pm

Transhuman by Hickman and Ringuet. This was some good shit. I really liked how much it played on the Frankenstein theme and went from there. It was a really intriguing read that invoked a lot of thought on technology and where science can possibly take us. I kind of figured out the very end though.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:22 pm

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:49 pm

Keb wrote:Just finished Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD. How the hell were they able to pack so much story into 12 pages a month? Modern comics ought to be ashamed. I really enjoyed the art and thought the sorry was a fun read. I didn't understand the end of the second part with Yellow Claw and the last ish was kinda dumb, but the HYDRA story was all kind of awesome. I really liked the recoloring on the art too.

I think today you've learned a thing or two about decompression.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1079 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:12 pm

Just ordered the first volume of Fraction and Aja's run on Hawkeye. It should be here next Tuesday but I can't wait! :smt026
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:24 pm

Grayson wrote:Just ordered the first volume of Fraction and Aja's run on Hawkeye. It should be here next Tuesday but I can't wait! :smt026

I was gonna hunt that down on Wednesday

Arion wrote:
I think today you've learned a thing or two about decompression.

Iknorite!

Don't know if I "just learned" about it, but I'm more amazed at how much they pack into 12 pages that tells a continuous story over 18 issues. Bendis does this in about three times as many. Just bugs me how much emphasis goes into hooking people in over telling quality stories.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 159 posts

Postby misac » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:34 pm

Arion wrote:
The tpb had a lot of extras about Morrison´s concepts. He had a lot of exciting and original ideas, but that's something you can't really tell just by reading the comics, I guess the overall result is not as good as it could have been.

I did get the trade. Just read a bit of the extras.

Didn't bring my Kindle to work today so I'm going to start Villains for Hire or continue Uncanny X-Force.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:51 pm

Keb wrote:I was gonna hunt that down on Wednesday

Iknorite!

Don't know if I "just learned" about it, but I'm more amazed at how much they pack into 12 pages that tells a continuous story over 18 issues. Bendis does this in about three times as many. Just bugs me how much emphasis goes into hooking people in over telling quality stories.

Now everyone writes 6 issue arcs that so that they can fit into the trade. And most of those stories would be good in one or two issues tops.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:40 pm

Keb wrote:I was gonna hunt that down on Wednesday

Wait a second, it's available on Wednesday!? If that's true, I'll cancel my order and pick it up with my books this week. Thanks for the heads up.
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:47 pm

Arion wrote:
Now everyone writes 6 issue arcs that so that they can fit into the trade. And most of those stories would be good in one or two issues tops.

Yeah def, which is one of the reasons I got out of buying single issues. Trades were just easier and often cheaper when purchased at a discount price from online retailers. I think a lot of it comes from the shift to get more "cinematic" and portray things as they happen without leaving much detail to the imagination. I really came across this during my Kirby binge. Sometimes you could go from panel to panel and have so much happen in the "white space", whereas now there's a need to show every movement that happens. Kind of changes the experience of reading and really makes me wonder about the evolution of graphic storytelling.

Grayson wrote:
Wait a second, it's available on Wednesday!? If that's true, I'll cancel my order and pick it up with my books this week. Thanks for the heads up.

Midtown's website has it as shipping this week. If you want I can pm you from the store and let you know. I wouldn't cancel that order just yet...

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:56 pm

Keb wrote:Midtown's website has it as shipping this week. If you want I can pm you from the store and let you know. I wouldn't cancel that order just yet...

I'm not going to cancel the order yet but Diamond and Comixology both list it as coming out on Wednesday as well. If my comic store has it on Wednesday, I'll go ahead and pick it up when I pick up my books then cancel the order. If not, I'll go ahead and keep the order. I appreciate the offer though, thanks man!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:18 am

Keb wrote:Yeah def, which is one of the reasons I got out of buying single issues. Trades were just easier and often cheaper when purchased at a discount price from online retailers. I think a lot of it comes from the shift to get more "cinematic" and portray things as they happen without leaving much detail to the imagination. I really came across this during my Kirby binge. Sometimes you could go from panel to panel and have so much happen in the "white space", whereas now there's a need to show every movement that happens. Kind of changes the experience of reading and really makes me wonder about the evolution of graphic storytelling.

Midtown's website has it as shipping this week. If you want I can pm you from the store and let you know. I wouldn't cancel that order just yet...

Interesting observation. I do think some stories benefit with more issues, but the problem is that everyone takes the 6 issue arc as a rule, and it shouldn't be like that.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:52 pm

Avengers: Citizen Kang

Pretty awful art for the most part. There are many instances of skinny feet and inflated muscles. The Avengers annualand FF annuals are the worst offenders for that. The story is weird and might be completely silly at times. It's a product of the 90s so yeah, take it for what it is. The one thing I liked was that it collected the back matter from all the annuals so we were reminded of how fun annuals used to be. Not a bad purchase for $7. $21 off cover price!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand